Fully modded E-Mu 1212M pics and impressions (so far)
Apr 12, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #46 of 76
Hi there,

I am a newbie and looking for some information to mod my 1212m.
I just bought it and want to remove the output coupling caps and replace some caps with better ones. Who can help me out and send me some pictures so I can see which caps to replace and which caps to remove?

I am reading this forum for some time, but I was to late to download the pictures from ID.

Hope you guys can help me out,

Sincerely,
Alex Bartels
The Netherlands
alex.bartels@gawab.com

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
where are the pics ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Sorry about the pics, I no longer have that site anymore, and don't have a copy of those pics anywhere that I can find.

eggosmile.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #49 of 76
I know that the pics are gone, but thanks for reminding me
icon10.gif

So, nobody has a digicam?
rolleyes.gif

Now for real, can anybody tell me which cap-numbers are the dc-coupling caps?

Did anybody try to put MKP bypass caps on the electrolytic caps instead of buying and mounting (expensive) BG caps?

Did anybody try to power the 0202 card with an external (audio-grade)powersupply?(since in most cases this makes 50% of the sound)

I hope to find some answers here since it is very difficult to find diy projects about the 1212m on the internet.

Kindest regards for all,

Alex

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #50 of 76
Thanks ID for your PM!!!!!

I shorted the dc-blocking caps, placed 12 bypass MKP's on Electrolytic caps in the analog-output section and placed bypass MKP's on the opamps and dac.

WOW, what a difference (as suspected). I am very happy with the result! :) :)

It now even sounds much better than my modified Sony DVP-NS900V(with discrete class-A mosfet output stage, re-designed powersupply, BG's and so on,,,).

I don't know what the next step will be, maybe designing an audio-grade psu for my pc, connect a XO3-clock, or, or, or,,,,,,

Thans again for your help!

Alex

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #52 of 76
Can I ask why Emu ppl designed the dac the way it is?
You all seem to find that modifiying the output stage (bypassing caps...) brings a noticeable improvement so why isn t this way from the start?

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Can I ask why Emu ppl designed the dac the way it is?
You all seem to find that modifiying the output stage (bypassing caps...) brings a noticeable improvement so why isn t this way from the start?

It's for safety concerns. It's like that in many equipment.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #55 of 76
As requested, these are not modded pic, a trace i did. Input decoupling (or as most ppl say output decoupling caps) are caps crossed with the green X. Also, output N-D-FET was removed on my card since it was damaged and could not find any replacement for a 2N4392 SOT-23. I removed all four of them and are werking better than it was before, no side effects observed.

BTW, its PIA to desolder the caps, if ur that lazy, might as well short the caps from the under planar without removing them. im planning to mod in on protoboard, 4xOPA637BP that i haf so much lying around.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #56 of 76
Hey, just found this thread, I was wondering if anyone has the pics saved at all?

EDIT: Didn't see the reposted pic - ignore

I'm guessing it's the caps with the green X's that need to be bridged?

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #58 of 76
Hey guys look what I found - (IMO) original ID's pictures...

Digital front:
DigitalFront.jpg

Analog front:
AnalogFront1.jpg

Analog front 2:
AnalogFront2.jpg

Analog back:
AnalogBack.jpg

So let's modding
smily_headphones1.gif

Iron_Dreamer: Veeery nice work
wink.gif

I have 2nd version of 1212M, tracing and some caps are little different, but it doesn't matter. What is important for me - Can I use all BGs from pictures? I think there are lots of 220uF 16V that weren't on your stock card. So I'm not sure which values I may buy - yours (i.e. 220uF) or those on my stock card?

Next, at 3rd picture can be seen decoupling polypropylene caps on voltage rails of DAC. I thought that SMD ceramic caps used on stock card should be replaced by that red polys. But in fact they are parallel together - am I right?

And last - about replacing OPAMPs. Can I just remove JRC and put in LT1364, or have to change also some resistors around it? (I don't think the biasing resistor)

Thanks a lot. And sorry for my english
wink.gif

PS: Has anybody the pinout details of that expansion connector? I want to separate voltage wires and put in some dedicated highend power source...

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #59 of 76
Awesome! So glad someone managed to find the pics and upload them again, thanks so much pozitron!

I think i understand the removal of the caps in the output signal but the rest is a little above my understanding. For the moment i think ill just remove them and see how we go.

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #60 of 76
Ramblingman, I suppose you also have the 2nd version of EMU, which is slightly different against of Iron_dreamer's pictures. I attach photo of my 0202 where the critical parts which should be changed are marked with their original EMU's values. Yellow capacitors should be replaced by Rubycon BlackGate Standard, red ones by BlackGate N/NX plus there are some 10nF polyprophylene decoupling caps.On 1010 digital card there are only 5 small electrolytes at all, so find/change them wouldn't be problem (pics maybe later).

Hope it helps to everyone who doesn't understand it from ID's photos...

I want to separate analog card's power supply from digital one's (supplied by motherboard), lead it out of computer and connect to some super regulator, but I don't know how to do it because I'm still missing any info about the analog expansion connector. If someone can help me with that, I'll be very grateful.

EDIT: for some reason the image wasn't visible, so I uploaded it to another web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back