Fully modded E-Mu 1212M pics and impressions (so far)
May 23, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #16 of 76
excellent read. thanks iron_dreamer.

this is just a suggestion, but i think you should write a full review or do some sort of comparison of this card to a cdp.

i've been keeping up with your impressions on the emu, and they've all been very good and informative. and frightingly persuasive for my wallet. i think the the only thing missing here is a comparison to a cdp. many people here, including me are quite curious. i mean, many people are raving about this soundcard...but no one has written anything that would really offer some sort of solution to the question: how will can the card compete with other cdp?

oh well just a suggestion. till then, keep up the good work!

May 23, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 76
With the E-MU fresh out of the box Akio compared it favorably to his NAD. Personally I've noticed quite a bit of change as it has burned in. You're right though, it would be nice if we could get a good comparison to some of the higher end stand alone CDP's.

May 23, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
excellent read. thanks iron_dreamer.

this is just a suggestion, but i think you should write a full review or do some sort of comparison of this card to a cdp.

i've been keeping up with your impressions on the emu, and they've all been very good and informative. and frightingly persuasive for my wallet. i think the the only thing missing here is a comparison to a cdp. many people here, including me are quite curious. i mean, many people are raving about this soundcard...but no one has written anything that would really offer some sort of solution to the question: how will can the card compete with other cdp?

oh well just a suggestion. till then, keep up the good work!

A great idea, of course, and one I would go and do right away if I had some cash to toss at a high-end CDP. SInce I don't though, it will have to wait for the LA meet in less than a month, unless I win the lottery or something.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 76
hi Iron Dreamer !
I got the 1212m card but very disappoited about its analog playback performance ( it's dry , thin and no dynamic - it's worse than my $ 250 5 dish Sony dvd player all around) . I'm not sure 'cause it' s not broken in yet or it's what it is . so i decided to mod it and i want to do exactly like what you 've done ( don't know how to do different, though). I 've read your work alot of times and understood some .... but there're some i still confuse . Can you please help me out a bit more ? I don't want do ruin the card !!!
what i figured out :
replace two stock opamp by 2 lt1364( aready bought it)
replace two 220uf-35v by 470uf-35v
replace all 100uf-16v by 220uf-16v
what i confuse :
-what to replace the 10uf-47uf-1000uf-16v ;4.7uf-50v for the best ?
- what 're the red caps you replace the very small stock caps ? where did you get them and is it needed to remove the very small stock caps before solder the new one ?
- And ,in order to mod it , all i have to do is remove the stock opamp +caps , then install the new ones in or i have to do somethingelse - like biased , decoup... that you mentioned ?
Thank you so much for your help
thanks alot for anybodylse input as well
DN.

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 76
I have actually learned a lot since this first upgrade I did. For one, I found that putting in larger caps than stock is of no sonic benefit. You should use as close to stock values as possible to save money. Glassman told me the output coupling caps (the red Blackgates) are not needed, as the card makes very little DC offset, so you can just take off the old caps and solder across the connections. The orange caps I added are .1uF Polypropylenes, which after some extensive comparison testing, I found to be unnescessary, except as decouplers for the opamps.

All you need to do is remove the stock parts and put the appropriate new ones in their places. Use blackgate FK and N series if possible for the best performance. Also, you must put those polypropylene caps from the opamps' voltage rails to ground, as I have in the pics, or tha opamps won't work properly.

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhoufang
Can I use AD8620/AD8066 in stead of LT1364?
Will there be any disadvantages as compared to LT1364?
Thanks!

Yeah, you can use them no problem, they are less picky the the LT1364. The AD8066 is probably my second favorite, it is a bit more neutral/clinical sounding, with slightly more soundstage. Probably a good one for the 0404, since it is already more dynamic sounding, but I like the LT on the 1212M because it is a bit sterile sounding stock. The 8620 I'm not a fan of, it seems less detailed than the 8066, yet brighter, in a most digital sounding way that gets on my nerves, but you can certainly try it and come to you own conclusions, since after all we all hear things a bit differently.

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #25 of 76
well i guess i am supposed to make requests like these through PMs, but my PM box is becoming nearly full every day. are there any possible upgrades to my card while you at it, hopefully something that wouldnt cost me another arm or a leg?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhoufang
Can I use AD8620/AD8066 in stead of LT1364?
Will there be any disadvantages as compared to LT1364?
Thanks!

yeah you can use those, im using ad8066s, much better than 8620s imho.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
No, actually the caps don't even look damaged. I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back.

keep in mind there are two caps i did not include in the package since they were completely FUBARed with no hope of restoration
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #29 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
keep in mind there are two caps i did not include in the package since they were completely FUBARed with no hope of restoration
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, ok, I hadn't gotten into counting them yet, so I didn't know things didn't line up yet. Ok then, in that case I guess I will be ordering more tomorrow ;0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back