Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Apr 9, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #871 of 1,040
After reading a bunch of this thread I think Ill be waiting for the Fulla 2 that will Im willing to bet fix all the complaints and issues with this version. Being that they are plenty Im also betting that second version will be out fairly quickly.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #872 of 1,040
  I'm debating on whether to buy this or the Fiio E10K, and aside from this thread, this review is the only comparison I've found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEFYlfKf8A

The review can be summed as up as the Fulla having clearly better sound but noticeably worse build and far fewer features, and that's the impression I've got from this thread. However, I don't have a clear picture of the overall durability (aside from the design) of the Fulla. I don't really care about carrying one of these around, but I'd like a dac/amp that's going to last. The people on this page are the only ones I've seen complain about the sound so far, but even aside from them, I'm not sure how the bass and gain switches on the E10k really add to it. I have virtually no experience with amps and dacs, so what do settings on the device itself do for the sound? Are these distinct from what can be changed from your computer's control panel? What do the bass and gain switches really add to the E10K if there's only 2 settings, on and off?

And if it helps, I use a pair of V-Moda M100's.

I had the E10, it's now dead partially due to my habit of letting it fall to the ground everytime. I know have the Fulla, I would go for it if I were you. The bass and gain of the E10 have two positions you are right, as for the bass it just used to turn flat into muffled. The only real difference you might want to care is that the E10 has a lineout whereas the Fulla does not.

Don't know about the V-Moda, I'm using a Grado 325 + Fulla + Ubuntu and the sound is just divine.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #873 of 1,040
I think it was not a good decision of Schiit to state this device is supported on mobile devices, it will get a lot of bad reviews just because of that. They are taking a risk which doesn't look worthy taking.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #874 of 1,040
  I think it was not a good decision of Schiit to state this device is supported on mobile devices, it will get a lot of bad reviews just because of that. They are taking a risk which doesn't look worthy taking.

Well the exact line from schiit is 
Just plug Fulla into virtually any computer’s USB port and you’ll be enjoying great tunes instantly. No drivers, no fiddly software, no confusing volume buttons—on either Mac or PC. It also works (with some caveats) on Linux, iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. Plug it in, attach your headphones, and turn it up. Done!

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #875 of 1,040

Well the exact line from schiit is 
Just plug Fulla into virtually any computer’s USB port and you’ll be enjoying great tunes instantly. No drivers, no fiddly software, no confusing volume buttons—on either Mac or PC. It also works (with some caveats) on Linux, iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. Plug it in, attach your headphones, and turn it up. Done!

And these "some caveats" is how bulky your setup can get, but it actually works.  After Verizon pushed Lollipop 5.01 update to my Note 4, I'm back in business!!!

Here is a simple example of what you need to keep bulk down to minimum.  A generic usb hub adapter that supports usb otg and has a separate power connector (got it from ebay for $2.80), and an external battery like this Anker Slim3 slice with 6000 mAh capacity (only $30) and with a built in micro-usb cable so I don't need to use any extra cables (keeps it neat and short).  Plays audio from any app.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #876 of 1,040
^^ you call that minimum bulky?  haha.

anyways, a more relevant question.  with Schiit putting out "2" models for most of their products, does anyone know if a Fulla 2 is coming?  i don't want to buy one and have new tech come out in a few weeks.  like its not a sizable investment, but it never feels good when that happens.  haha.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #877 of 1,040
I don't speak for Schiit nor do I have any inside knowledge, but considering Fulla is only 6 months old, I would be extremely surprised if a 2 came out or was announced in 2015

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #878 of 1,040
  I don't speak for Schiit nor do I have any inside knowledge, but considering Fulla is only 6 months old, I would be extremely surprised if a 2 came out or was announced in 2015

ah, i'm unfamiliar with their release cycle.  i just noticed that a lot of stuff was popping up with a 2 after it.  how long were the valhalla and others out before they got the 2 revision?

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #879 of 1,040

ah, i'm unfamiliar with their release cycle.  i just noticed that a lot of stuff was popping up with a 2 after it.  how long were the valhalla and others out before they got the 2 revision?

Asgard and Valhalla were originally released in 2010, so about 4 years for the update. Lyr was also a few years. Modi and Magni were quicker (1.5 or 2 years I think), but even on that cycle Fulla likely won't be updated until at least 2016.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #880 of 1,040
And at as low a cost as fulla goes for the profits and therefore the incentive is probably small. If it would have worked by simply plugging into my phone or tablet I would have one now but instead I got a fiio

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #881 of 1,040
thanks for the info.  i placed my order for a fulla earlier tonight.  if it just makes my computer background black, it'll be worth the investment i think.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #882 of 1,040
And these "some caveats" is how bulky your setup can get, but it actually works.  After Verizon pushed Lollipop 5.01 update to my Note 4, I'm back in business!!!

Here is a simple example of what you need to keep bulk down to minimum.  A generic usb hub adapter that supports usb otg and has a separate power connector (got it from ebay for $2.80), and an external battery like this Anker Slim3 slice with 6000 mAh capacity (only $30) and with a built in micro-usb cable so I don't need to use any extra cables (keeps it neat and short).  Plays audio from any app.

OK, Schiit Disclaimer, I really like my M/M stack; great value.

"Some Caveats" UGH!

While it's a testament to how much folks like Schiit products and to their creativity in putting together these Jerry-rigged setups, the success criteria shouldn't be 'it actually works'...imo.

The Fulla is horrible for portable use. It's a transportable AMP/DAC; apparently, a good sounding one. For me, it's a competitor to the likes of Fiio E10k, with less features and probably better sound. Nothing wrong with that.

But, honestly, even my Meridian Explorer is better suited for portable use.

If you want portable with extended (10 hrs DAC/AMP, 120 hrs AMP alone) play time, a DAC/AMP with a Built-in Battery like the iBasso D-Zero MK2 would probably be better.

- Dual Wolfson, Gain Switch, OTG cable, Line Out RCA cable, Silicone Strap & Carry Pouch for $119 -- all in!

- Pretty much the same cost because you don't need to hook up a separate USB power source for $30 and a $3 power connector that looks like Doctor Octopus...and it just might fit in your pocket!

http://www.amazon.com/D0-MKII-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Connection/dp/B00QOSQ4RU

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-d-zero-mk2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/741541/new-ibasso-d-zero-mk2

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #883 of 1,040
As I understand it, the Fulla was never designed to be a portable amp/DAC. It was designed to work with computers only. With computers, the setup of the Fulla is clean and simple: the supplied cable into a USB slot on your computer, your headphones connected to the headphone jack, and you're in business. It was the clever members of Head-Fi on this thread who figured out that with a little bit of ingenuity, the Fulla could work in a portable rig and sound every bit as good as it does with a computer. I, for,one, am thankful to those that figured it out. I replicated one of the earlier setups, and using my Audeze EL-8 closed back,phones with my iPad Air2 loaded with full resolution AIFF files, the sound is fantastic. I am very willing to forego looks and ergonomics to get phenomenal sound on the go and on the cheap.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #884 of 1,040
As I understand it, the Fulla was never designed to be a portable amp/DAC. It was designed to work with computers only. With computers, the setup of the Fulla is clean and simple: the supplied cable into a USB slot on your computer, your headphones connected to the headphone jack, and you're in business. It was the clever members of Head-Fi on this thread who figured out that with a little bit of ingenuity, the Fulla could work in a portable rig and sound every bit as good as it does with a computer. I, for,one, am thankful to those that figured it out. I replicated one of the earlier setups, and using my Audeze EL-8 closed back,phones with my iPad Air2 loaded with full resolution AIFF files, the sound is fantastic. I am very willing to forego looks and ergonomics to get phenomenal sound on the go and on the cheap.

Good Schiit
Yep...my understanding as well. It is a laptop / desktop solution and by most accounts a very good one from a sound perspective -- what we've come to expect from Schiit.

As I said, I have the Modi / Magni set up and am very happy with the sound and the value. Most likely, I'll be buying an OTL amp this year and I expect the Valhalla 2 to be a top contender from a value perspective.

It is Alive!
And yes, it was clever to Rube Goldberg the Fulla to make it workable in a pinch for 'Portable' applications. I guess if you're only going to have one inexpensive amp/dac, then this might make sense; buy the low cost, high-value solution and then 'upgrade' it with the additional USB power source and connectors.

But still, this 'portable' setup ends up costing about $120 when it's all said and done. Given that and the ergonomical nightmare, I see the simple, truly portable solutions like the iBasso (good sounding per many HeadFi-ers) as a much better alternative and find myself scratching my head at Franken-Fulla. :wink:

Portability
I guess everybody's different in what they'll consider portable. When I think of portable, though, I'd ideally like the stuff to take up minimal space (say...fit in a pocket), have as few connectors as possible, and play my music with high quality sound. The Fulla only accomplishes one of these for me.

But then again, I don't take my full size headphones on the go like you do with your EL-8s -- too bulky for me. If I use headphones on a walk (rarely), they're usually low profile like my M80s or WS55s. Typically, when I'm on the go, it's just my phone and IEMs. That may change as I've been getting some higher quality IEMs. However, as I think through that, I'm still on the fence between getting a nice portable dac/amp to connect to my phone or just buying a mid-level DAP (X5 or DX90).

Lastly, for transportable applications like work or traveling, I've got my laptop/tablet in my backpack and the Explorer works perfectly for me -- very high value at $149.

Future Schiit
Actually, this thread has kinda crystallized it for me, if Fulla 2 came out as truly portable (read: internal battery) dac/amp for $120 or under I'd snap that up in a second.

Either that, or...maybe Schiit could release a DAP. Now that would be interesting!

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #885 of 1,040
I overheard Jason hinting to a designer at canjam upcoming releases of equipment. Sounded like more powerful integrated items coming down the pipe (late summer?). Wouldn't be surprised to see them put out a dac. That would be great. Love their Schiit.
Quality for the masses! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back