Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #483 of 1,040
I've been using my M50's for a few years now, and recently got in on the HD598 $100 deal over black friday.  My initial impression of the 598's were that they were a little dull, but I realize now that is kind of relative to the M50s.  Anyway I attributed this dullness to the Sennheiser Veil I keep reading about.  

When I first used the Fulla, that dullness was gone (could be due to the heightened Treble that has been mentioned in a previous review).  There was definitely a great amount of clarity than my headphone jack.  I compared the two quite a bit, and the Fulla was the victor in my non-blind tests.  The imaging and clarity were the two things that stuck out most.  

I had tried the Fiio E17 previously with my M50s, and was rather underwhelmed, ended up returning it since it was buggy.  This was my second attempt at trying a dac/amp and I do believe it was one of my best purchases.  I haven't experienced this level of euphoria since upgrading from $10 headphones to the HD280's.  I was riding cloud 9 all Friday night.  I look forward to upgrading to magni/modi and Valhalla once I upgrade my headphones.  

I'm just starting out in this hobby, but I'm amazed at what this little Amp/DAC has done for my 598s.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #484 of 1,040
  I've been using my M50's for a few years now, and recently got in on the HD598 $100 deal over black friday.  My initial impression of the 598's were that they were a little dull, but I realize now that is kind of relative to the M50s.  Anyway I attributed this dullness to the Sennheiser Veil I keep reading about.  

When I first used the Fulla, that dullness was gone (could be due to the heightened Treble that has been mentioned in a previous review).  There was definitely a great amount of clarity than my headphone jack.  I compared the two quite a bit, and the Fulla was the victor in my non-blind tests.  The imaging and clarity were the two things that stuck out most.  

I had tried the Fiio E17 previously with my M50s, and was rather underwhelmed, ended up returning it since it was buggy.  This was my second attempt at trying a dac/amp and I do believe it was one of my best purchases.  I haven't experienced this level of euphoria since upgrading from $10 headphones to the HD280's.  I was riding cloud 9 all Friday night.  I look forward to upgrading to magni/modi and Valhalla once I upgrade my headphones.  

I'm just starting out in this hobby, but I'm amazed at what this little Amp/DAC has done for my 598s.

Glad it worked out well for you!!

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #487 of 1,040
I forgot to comment on one additional sonic quality in my previous review, which was already too long:

Transparency/Clarity: This is the attribute of instruments being "in the room" with you, so that there are no layers of gauze or film muddying up the clarity of the music--the "reach out and touch" phenomenon all audiophiles crave. Well, the Fulla does not disappoint. This is one of its strengths--way more so than any of the Fiio amps or amp/DAC's I've heard (just mentioed them only because they're at the same relative price point as the Fulla). There is an ever-so-slight electronic or transistor sounding character to the overall sound on some cuts, but it's subtle and never interferes with appreciating the music you're playing. Another home run for Schiit.

Jacob

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #488 of 1,040
I've been looking into the Schiit fulla as a 2-for-1 AMP/DAC for the my headphones (HD 598s) and my speaker system for my college dorm (Dayton B652 or the Micca mb42x). Do you think this would be a good purchase as I'm kinda skeptical about it being able to drive my speakers adequately.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #489 of 1,040
They could be used as DAC for powered speakers, but most likely not strong enough for regular speakers.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #490 of 1,040
  I've been looking into the Schiit fulla as a 2-for-1 AMP/DAC for the my headphones (HD 598s) and my speaker system for my college dorm (Dayton B652 or the Micca mb42x). Do you think this would be a good purchase as I'm kinda skeptical about it being able to drive my speakers adequately.

I can't really see what speakers you would drive with this, it has a 3.5mm out, any speaker that takes a 3.5mm aux cable is probably self powered. Otherwise its gonna be a real hack job, and this doesn't have speaker power anyways. If you want to drive 2 smallish speakers for cheap, a Lepai amp is pretty good for the price (~$22)

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #494 of 1,040
  Yeah, i couldn't find anything on it. I'm doubtful but hoping for the best. 

AKGunkie, et.al.,

I have finally tested my replacement fulla with my surface RT and the news is what we expected: the surface will see the fulla but will not accept it as a USB device. I am afraid that like other low power devices (MBA or older MBP) the Surface RT will not power the Fulla without a powered USB hub.

Sorry for the bad news as the Surface RT o Fulla to HP would make a great lightweight and portable setup.

Perhaps Fulla V2 will require less power (less than likely I know).

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #495 of 1,040
Did you try the fulla with m50s?

The difference with the M50s was a bit harder to discern.  The best way I can describe it is the frequency response/sound signature doesn't seem to change, but as with the 598s, the imaging and clarity are enhanced.  I'm only comparing it to my on-board audio, but the Fulla clears up some of the interference between sounds and it's much easier to pick out the "location" of different instruments.  

Probably the best thing I can say about the Fulla is my brain appreciates it much more, I think the extra clarity allows for a better experience and emotional response to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back