Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #466 of 1,040
I've only been playing around with mine for a day, but the worry of cutting myself or finding the knob difficult to use definitely have not crossed my mind

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #468 of 1,040
  has anyone tried the fulla with any grados yet? cant decide between the fulla or a fiio e10k for my cans.

Been using it with SR325e's.  Powers them with no issue.  Happy with the sound so far

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #470 of 1,040
So what's the channel tracking like? Technically this is the type of thing that wouldn't be that hard to get a decent ballpark estimate on via loopback testing via an audio editor or actually I think even the RMAA calibration, but a general impression is fine too. Any noticeable problems in practice on quiet volumes with IEMs, for example?

I mean, you can't expect miracles at that size (the pot, also the device) and product price, which is why I ask.

Interesting product, anyhow.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #471 of 1,040

Well that changes things... Being on a Mac, I had no idea there were different sound rendering methods or what the difference is between them. I had played through iTunes and VLC at all bitrates without issues, but to test the theory, I downloaded Audirvana just to see how the Fulla would react. It definitely garbles the sound when playing through it. I obviously have a lot to learn about digital audio, like what exactly is being passed to the DAC when I hit play, which system is best, and why.

Edit: So I discovered that everything I was playing through iTunes and VLC was being downsampled to 44.1kHz. I also learned about the Audio MIDI Setup utility built into the OS that allows me to change the output rate to whatever rate(s) the DAC supports. Why iTunes doesn't change it automatically based on the file being played is beyond my understanding.

ye i don't like it either, it's set to 44100hz and 24 bit by default. and even if you set it to highest option or option you like eventually it will reset it to 44100hz and 24 bit, not sure sure if it's only on my macbook 2009 or it's a bug, or unreported bug since probably very few people open that app. cause apple speakers won't resolve more than 44100hz anyway. all macs have a default 44100hz and 24 bit, have to change it though, and not sure if it resets for other people but on my mac it does reset occasionally to back to default lower quality audio output on it's internal dac.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #472 of 1,040
  ye i don't like it either, it's set to 44100hz and 24 bit by default. and even if you set it to highest option or option you like eventually it will reset it to 44100hz and 24 bit, not sure sure if it's only on my macbook 2009 or it's a bug, or unreported bug since probably very few people open that app. cause apple speakers won't resolve more than 44100hz anyway. all macs have a default 44100hz and 24 bit, have to change it though, and not sure if it resets for other people but on my mac it does reset occasionally to back to default lower quality audio output on it's internal dac.

I think it has to do with Apple's "make it simple for everybody" philosophy. The problem is, when I want to play 24/96kHz files, I want the system to output 24/96kHz to the DAC, and when I want to play 16/44.1kHz files, I want the system to output 16/44.1kHz. I admit that I haven't messed with Audio MIDI Setup enough to notice if it resets or not on my 2012 MBP (as I use BitPerfect). Audiophile programs like Audirvana or BitPerfect do solve this problem, but it frustrates me that there isn't such a solution built in to Mac OS X.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #473 of 1,040
Well I've been doing SQ comparisons between the Fulla and the FiiO E10K. I prefer the sound produced by the Schiit. The E10K puts a greater emphasis on the low end and vocals do not sound as clear/vibrant. The Fulla also outputs more separation between instruments. The build quality and line out are pluses for the E10K but it loses out in SQ.

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #474 of 1,040
  Well I've been doing SQ comparisons between the Fulla and the FiiO E10K. I prefer the sound produced by the Schiit. The E10K puts a greater emphasis on the low end and vocals do not sound as clear/vibrant. The Fulla also outputs more separation between instruments. The build quality and line out are pluses for the E10K but it loses out in SQ.

what headphones have you been using? bottom end might be better for my ms1's. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #475 of 1,040
I got mine today as well. So far so good. I use it on my desktop computer and to be honest it's better sounding than my asus xonar essence st. Volume knob is ok. I think I might tape the whole thing on the side and use volume control via the pc.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #476 of 1,040
Ok, you want some sonic impressions? I got mine Friday evening and have been burning it in ever since. That's 48 hours of burn in and I think it needs more. It definitely sounds much better now than when I got it. I'll report back if the sound changes with more burn in.

Highs: The Fulla has a generous amount of high frequency info, and depending on the recording, can sound a tad harsh and bright. It is nicely detailed and the nuances of acoustic instruments and voices are clearly audible. The highs are not over-emphasized, but are in proportion to the rest of the sound spectrum.

Mids: Here's where the Fulla shines. The mids are full-bodied, rich with detail, and balanced. They're not bloated or anemic--just right. Acoustic instruments sound natural and organic, like they should. Well-recorded electronic music sounds driven, raw, punchy, spacious, quirky, depending on the piece (I'm a huge fan of well-recorded electronic music). Since this is where most music resides, nice job, Schiit.

Lows: Bass is a bit on the anemic side, by just a tad. Sort of like my AKG K701's. But what's there is nice and tight, with no bloat or diffusion. If you listen to acoustic or electric bass, you may not notice it. But on electronic music with loads of bass, you can really hear it. Still, the bass is nicely balanced with the rest of the sound spectrum.

Imaging: This is also where it shines. Instruments are clearly defined and occupy a distinct space within the soundstage. Imaging and sound staging are qualities that enhance the appreciation of recorded music so much, and it's a shame that most headphone gear manufacturers don't spend much attention on it. Schiit is an exception as they got it right.

Sound staging: Side to side, it does an excellent job. With my AKG K701's, there is a nice wide stage for acoustic music. Some electronic music sounds out of this world, with sounds emanating just beyond my ears. Front to back sound staging is limited, though. Not bad, just not as good as side to side. Most portable amp/DAC's don't do this very well, so I won't fault Schiit for this. All in all, a great job.

Dynamics: Wow! This really surprised me, but this little thing is awesomely dynamic. Drum thwacks are palpable, electronic sounds are impactful. Some cuts made me jump a little. It was that startling. I wasn't expecting it. Low level dynamics are not as noticeable, but still not bad. It's the little things that make music more enjoyable and the Fulla does an excellent job overall on dynamics.

Overall, the sound is balanced, natural, detailed, full-bodied, and dynamic. Every piece of gear has it's own "sound", or sonic signature. I really like the Fulla's sound. Easy on the ear. An incredible job for $79. What's not to like? This piece of gear is definitely NOT fulla schiit.

BTW, I am using a MacBook Pro with AKG 701's with a Toxic Cables Black Widow cable. I also got the Fulla operational with my iPad Air 2 and an old powered hub. My next goal is to figure out how to use the Fulla with a passive hub and a battery pack so I can use it wherever I am without the need to plug something in.

Jacob

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #477 of 1,040

I think it has to do with Apple's "make it simple for everybody" philosophy. The problem is, when I want to play 24/96kHz files, I want the system to output 24/96kHz to the DAC, and when I want to play 16/44.1kHz files, I want the system to output 16/44.1kHz. I admit that I haven't messed with Audio MIDI Setup enough to notice if it resets or not on my 2012 MBP (as I use BitPerfect). Audiophile programs like Audirvana or BitPerfect do solve this problem, but it frustrates me that there isn't such a solution built in to Mac OS X.

you can leave them a feedback to improve this feature, add function etc https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #478 of 1,040
Ok, you want some sonic impressions? I got mine Friday evening and have been burning it in ever since. That's 48 hours of burn in and I think it needs more. It definitely sounds much better now than when I got it. I'll report back if the sound changes with more burn in.

Highs: The Fulla has a generous amount of high frequency info, and depending on the recording, can sound a tad harsh and bright. It is nicely detailed and the nuances of acoustic instruments and voices are clearly audible. The highs are not over-emphasized, but are in proportion to the rest of the sound spectrum.

Mids: Here's where the Fulla shines. The mids are full-bodied, rich with detail, and balanced. They're not bloated or anemic--just right. Acoustic instruments sound natural and organic, like they should. Well-recorded electronic music sounds driven, raw, punchy, spacious, quirky, depending on the piece (I'm a huge fan of well-recorded electronic music). Since this is where most music resides, nice job, Schiit.

Lows: Bass is a bit on the anemic side, by just a tad. Sort of like my AKG K701's. But what's there is nice and tight, with no bloat or diffusion. If you listen to acoustic or electric bass, you may not notice it. But on electronic music with loads of bass, you can really hear it. Still, the bass is nicely balanced with the rest of the sound spectrum.

Imaging: This is also where it shines. Instruments are clearly defined and occupy a distinct space within the soundstage. Imaging and sound staging are qualities that enhance the appreciation of recorded music so much, and it's a shame that most headphone gear manufacturers don't spend much attention on it. Schiit is an exception as they got it right.

Sound staging: Side to side, it does an excellent job. With my AKG K701's, there is a nice wide stage for acoustic music. Some electronic music sounds out of this world, with sounds emanating just beyond my ears. Front to back sound staging is limited, though. Not bad, just not as good as side to side. Most portable amp/DAC's don't do this very well, so I won't fault Schiit for this. All in all, a great job.

Dynamics: Wow! This really surprised me, but this little thing is awesomely dynamic. Drum thwacks are palpable, electronic sounds are impactful. Some cuts made me jump a little. It was that startling. I wasn't expecting it. Low level dynamics are not as noticeable, but still not bad. It's the little things that make music more enjoyable and the Fulla does an excellent job overall on dynamics.

Overall, the sound is balanced, natural, detailed, full-bodied, and dynamic. Every piece of gear has it's own "sound", or sonic signature. I really like the Fulla's sound. Easy on the ear. An incredible job for $79. What's not to like? This piece of gear is definitely NOT fulla schiit.

BTW, I am using a MacBook Pro with AKG 701's with a Toxic Cables Black Widow cable. I also got the Fulla operational with my iPad Air 2 and an old powered hub. My next goal is to figure out how to use the Fulla with a passive hub and a battery pack so I can use it wherever I am without the need to plug something in.

Jacob

Thanks a million for the review
Having paid for the Fulla and thirty bucks for FedEx to deliver it to me here in Queensland Australia, your review is very reassuring that I've made a sound (pun) investment
We're getting a lot of value for little money
Hoping to get mine by Christmas

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas, you deserve it after writing that great review !

Quelch

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #479 of 1,040
Thank you for the excellent review!

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #480 of 1,040
can anyone help me decide between schiit fulla and a fiio e10k? they cost similarly. which is your favorite dac+amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back