Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Dec 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #376 of 1,040

You mean it's distorted or that it turns the sound into headphone-destroying noise? I'm having no issues with any of the bitrates, thankfully.

Gets distorted garbled up.

Are you using WASAPI output? It will not show up with DS (direct sound).

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #377 of 1,040
  Gets distorted garbled up.

Are you using WASAPI output? It will not show up with DS (direct sound).

Well that changes things... Being on a Mac, I had no idea there were different sound rendering methods or what the difference is between them. I had played through iTunes and VLC at all bitrates without issues, but to test the theory, I downloaded Audirvana just to see how the Fulla would react. It definitely garbles the sound when playing through it. I obviously have a lot to learn about digital audio, like what exactly is being passed to the DAC when I hit play, which system is best, and why.

Edit: So I discovered that everything I was playing through iTunes and VLC was being downsampled to 44.1kHz. I also learned about the Audio MIDI Setup utility built into the OS that allows me to change the output rate to whatever rate(s) the DAC supports. Why iTunes doesn't change it automatically based on the file being played is beyond my understanding.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #378 of 1,040

Well that changes things... Being on a Mac, I had no idea there were different sound rendering methods or what the difference is between them. I had played through iTunes and VLC at all bitrates without issues, but to test the theory, I downloaded Audirvana just to see how the Fulla would react. It definitely garbles the sound when playing through it. I obviously have a lot to learn about digital audio, like what exactly is being passed to the DAC when I hit play, which system is best, and why.

Edit: So I discovered that everything I was playing through iTunes and VLC was being downsampled to 44.1kHz. I also learned about the Audio MIDI Setup utility built into the OS that allows me to change the output rate to whatever rate(s) the DAC supports. Why iTunes doesn't change it automatically based on the file being played is beyond my understanding.

Welcome to the learning curve of digital/computer audio! 

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #379 of 1,040

Audirvana is a great piece of software. Well worth the money. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #381 of 1,040

Lost all my faith and trust in your company, i guess the clue really is in the name

EDIT:
Took a look at your other posts, found out why you were pissed.  You shouldn't really be angry at all though.  You think other companies give you a heads-up when buying a product that they're going to release a new one soon?  Think again.
However, this might calm you down a bit (this was posted 15 minutes before you made your post here, so please start actually paying attention to threads instead of just ranting):
  Yes, anyone who purchased within 15 days of the announcement should contact us before they flip their lid. I would have thought that would be obvious, sorry that it wasn't.

No other company I know of does anything like that either.
Oh yeah, posting the same thing on every Schiit thread is not going to help you.

???
Schiit is a great company, don't know what you're talking about.
And if it's just this one incident with the Fulla having problems playing 96 khz files, then you really shouldn't be saying that. Nothing (that I know of) has happened with them like that in the past.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #382 of 1,040
  Please cancel my Fulla order #22628 (have also emailed laura@schiit)
Lost all my faith and trust in your company, i guess the clue really is in the name

You need to calm down. Attacking them is not going to help your case. The guys at Schiit are really helpful.

Schiit is a great company that puts out amazing quality equipment for the price. If you stop doing business with them, that's your own loss.

What happened to you has happened to me personally, and probably every other person on this forum. It's just how it goes in this business. But you have a chance of getting an order swap. Talk to Laura through email and see what she says before cancelling your orders.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #383 of 1,040
  You need to calm down. Attacking them is not going to help your case. The guys at Schiit are really helpful.

Schiit is a great company that puts out amazing quality equipment for the price. If you stop doing business with them, that's your own loss.

What happened to you has happened to me personally, and probably every other person on this forum. It's just how it goes in this business. But you have a chance of getting an order swap. Talk to laura through email and see what she says before cancelling your orders.

Read my post above.
He's not angry at Schiit because of the problems with the Fulla.
He's just angry because they released the Magni 2/Modi 2 right before he purchased the first generations.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #387 of 1,040

Yeah, I'm still learning about this stuff, too.

I will say the Fulla does drive a clean and powerful signal.  CIEM's to HD800's.  Will be a nice addition to my transportable rigs (tablet or laptop).  Maybe even the phone once I get the power supply sorted.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #388 of 1,040

Great, this means the rest of us will get bumped up one position in line. :cool:

I hope you find a politically-correct, giant corporation with Chinese-made, mass-produced products marked up 200% that you can place more faith and trust in. :D

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #389 of 1,040

I agree with other posters that you should reconsider your position.  If your issue is the problem with the first release of Fulla, had you bought a similar product through conventional channels you would probably have to spend hours researching the problem on the Internet and on one or more phone calls with the manufacturers customer support line just to find out that there was a problem with the release, much less replace the product (as opposed to Schiit very publicly announcing the problem and putting out the word that customers should contact them for replacement.)

If your issue is that they just released new products right after you ordered the first generation--again, had you bought a similar product through conventional means you would be at the mercy of the vendor (not the manufacturer) as to whether or not you'd be able to return the product at all.  In contrast, Schiit has long provided a 15-day return policy but they proactively reached out to publicly reiterate their replacement policy just to make sure that everyone who might have ordered understood their options. It is very rare for companies to do this.

Personally, when I encounter a company that is so open about occasional problems with their products and so proactive in trying to solve those problems and keep their customers happy, my confidence in the company goes up, not down.  The kind of situations you seem to be angry about (problems encountered in the initial release of a product and/or new models being released shortly after purchasing the original one) happen all the time.  We just don't hear about them because most companies try to keep those situations and customers' reactions under wraps (if not actively stonewall initial reports until there's overwhelming evidence that they not only have a problem on their hands but that their stonewalling is turning into a customer service disaster).  Examples abound on the Internet.  Here's one example from the camera industry:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/d600-apology-and-clear.html

For my part, I am going to order a Fulla as soon as Schiit re-opens the queue.  I am confident that they are going to resolve this issue and that, should they encounter any other issues with the product during its generous warranty period, they will stand behind the product and make it right.

Oh, and about that warranty:  most companies consider a one year warranty generous, leaving a giant aftermarket to their vendors for capturing additional profits by selling expensive extended warranties that most people who buy them will never use.  Schiit's up front 5 year warranty is exemplary, especially when their products are already so inexpensive in comparison to many of their competitors'. 

The Fulla is all that I can afford these days, pinched by the cost of raising two small boys.  But I am thankful that they are trying to help us poor bottom feeding audiophile wannabees find good products at the low end that can tide us over until better times.  And I certainly hope that someday I will be able to afford some of their higher tier products.  But I'm not a starry-eyed fanboy, either--I always do a lot of research before purchasing a product and carefully consider my options.  I will say, however, that their openness, their proactive engagement with their customers, and their generous warranty are all factors that I weigh when making a purchasing decision and weigh heavily in their favor.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #390 of 1,040
  EDIT:
Took a look at your other posts, found out why you were pissed.  You shouldn't really be angry at all though.  You think other companies give you a heads-up when buying a product that they're going to release a new one soon?  Think again.

Feel like I have been getting deja vu after seeing his same post in multiple threads.  He might do well to read the last chapter on upgrades.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/4035#post_11097260

Users who are viewing this thread

Back