Full Sized Portable Cans Opinions? ($200-$350)
Jun 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #106 of 143
Just heard a few headphones at best buy:
Momentum
A900x
K550
Ath esw9a
HD558

The esw9a sounded the worse to me, and felt very cheap.

The k550 was overly bright (they had a good seal and were uber comfortable), and a bit strident sounding. Very air and huge sound stage. Didn't even sound closed.

The a900x was nice sounding and was balanced nicely but they wouldn't fit on my head.

The HD558 sounded wonderful really, even doing well with my heavily layered music. Much better than everything else.

Momentum sounded nice, but was kinda congested sounding. They had the most bass of the bunch, but not bloated at all. The layering was done very well (didn't touch the 558), and it was overall pretty neutral.

I have the KEF M500 and is say they're nice. Soundstage is better than the momentum, highs are around the same, vocals are more airy and gentle on the kef, kef has more bass for some songs, and less for others. The momentum was also very comfortable.

The a900x was uber comfortable.

Can't recommend the ATH ESW9a after that short listen.

If I had to pick between the momentum and m500... it's be really hard but I think I'd choose the momentum as of right now.

The 558 though was the best.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #107 of 143
Just heard a few headphones at best buy:
Momentum
A900x
K550
Ath esw9a
HD558

The esw9a sounded the worse to me, and felt very cheap.

The k550 was overly bright (they had a good seal and were uber comfortable), and a bit strident sounding. Very air and huge sound stage. Didn't even sound closed.

The a900x was nice sounding and was balanced nicely but they wouldn't fit on my head.

The HD558 sounded wonderful really, even doing well with my heavily layered music. Much better than everything else.

Momentum sounded nice, but was kinda congested sounding. They had the most bass of the bunch, but not bloated at all. The layering was done very well (didn't touch the 558), and it was overall pretty neutral.

I have the KEF M500 and is say they're nice. Soundstage is better than the momentum, highs are around the same, vocals are more airy and gentle on the kef, kef has more bass for some songs, and less for others. The momentum was also very comfortable.

The a900x was uber comfortable.

Can't recommend the ATH ESW9a after that short listen.

If I had to pick between the momentum and m500... it's be really hard but I think I'd choose the momentum as of right now.

The 558 though was the best.

Cool! Nice impression! Base on your impression ^ , does that mean the KEF have a bump at the bass FR? Since you said "more for some songs, and less for others"

Billson :)

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #108 of 143
Nope. Its entirely flat. If your listening to a song with a lot of bass, you'll hear a lot of bass. Also vise versa. Most versatile closed cans I've owned.

Im starting to enjoy these more than the momentum, though I feel the momentum is more comfortable.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #110 of 143
It's kind of weird to see people finding the AKG K550 bright as I personally with 98% perfect fit do not find it bright. Probably it's the darkish, warmish amp I paired it with?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #112 of 143
It's definitely a bright phone, unless maybe if you used to listen to even more brighter phone all your life. Even then I wouldn't call it dark.

If K550 is dark what would phone like TMA-1 be? blackhole?

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #113 of 143
I feel I had a perfect fit too and they were very comfortable. Its definitely bright though, especially when compared to the likes of the momentum, and esw9a.

In addition to getting a good seal, positioning on the K550s also makes a difference. The head band needs to go further forward on top of your head than where people might instinctively put it. For whatever reason, that tends to shift the fr to give them more bass emphasis in relation to the mids and highs, more balance.

I agree, though. Brighter than neutral, although not quite as bright as the Q701, IMO.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #114 of 143
Oh, I didn't reposition them. I didn't listen to them for long though, and I actually like bright headphones.

I'm definitely sure the kef m500 is the best portable for me at least under $350. Heard the momentum again and compared them side by side and it was pretty clear which was the winner. There's absolutely nothing you can complain about with the m500. I cant sense the microphonics with music on at all.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #118 of 143
for the money, definitely try the UE 6000's , very comfortable( I have big ears)  and has a good tolerance to all kind of music.

Other Advantages:

- Foldable / Portability but a sound that can rival big headphones
- Style
- Active noise cancellation
- replaceable / removable cables
- minimal clamping force

Disadvantages:

- Thin Cable

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #120 of 143
Quote:
I've heard and read all about them. I should try em at best buy some time. I like the whole package, except the non replaceable pads. I'll try em though.

The pads might be not readily replaceable but they are so soft , almost like a memory foam, looks like very well made.

I auditioned the HD 598 which is a higher priced headphone and has an open design, the UE-6000 smoked the HD 598 in terms to almost everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back