Full Sized Portable Cans Opinions? ($200-$350)
May 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143

Trunks159

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread isn't really so much to help me, it’s more for all the people who need help with this price range, which is like the most popular range I all of headphones.
All you have to so is post your opinions and or vote in the poll, about any of these select cans.  Try to explain the sound signature without the use of crazy audiophile words like "papery", or something crazy like that.
Comparisons are very welcome!

Here’s the list:
AKG K267 ($300)
AKG K550/551 ($300)
Audio Technica ATH WS99 ($200-$250)
Audio Technica ATH ESW9a ($200-$250)
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro ($180)
Denon D600 ($400, could find for less)
Focal Spirit One ($230)
Philips Fidelio L1 ($200)
PSB M4U 1/2 ($300/$400 Respectively)
Sennheiser Momentum ($350)
Shure SRH940 ($300)
Sony MDR 1R ($230-$300)
Ultimate Ears UE6000 ($200)
Ultrasone Pro 750 ($250)
Ultrasone Pro 900 ($300)
V-Moda M100 ($300)

And the Newer Additions (Some May Not Be Out)
JVC HA SZ1000/2000 ($300/$400Respectively)
NAD Viso HP50 ($280)
KEF M500 ($300)

If I have missed any, just mention it. Ill make the poll once I have all the cans.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I only own three of the cans on that list: the MDR 1R, Fidelio L1, and the ATH WS99.

Comfort-Wise, the 1R is the absolute best.  They have the lowest clamping force of the three, and the pads aren't shallow.  The Fidelio L1 comes in second, though it could have been equal to the 1r if the clamping pressure decreased dramatically, and if the pads weren't so cramped.  The WS99 is the worst in comfort.  They're basically on-ear headphones, except slightly better.  The pads are very very thin, so don't expect something very comfortable.

The Fidelio L1 easily has the best build.  The leather headband and strong metal frame are both extremely solid, not to say that the others aren't.  The 1r had more plastic in its build, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  The L1 is the heaviest, so it isn't as comfortable.  The WS99 is also very solid and is slightly heavier than the 1r, but you wouldn't notice it.  All have great build, nothing to worry about.

Looks:  I can easily say that the 1r looks the best.  The l1 and the ws99 both look nice, but I like the l1 better.  Nothing but personal preference.

Isolation: The l1 understandingly had the worse isolation.  Its semi-open so, that's expected.  I don't have a problem with leakage but the passive noise cancellation isn't great.

The ws99 has slightly less isolation than the 1r.  The 1r's isolation isn't really the best, its average.

Noticeable Concerns:
WS99:  One of the worse things about these is how dirty they get.  The rings on the earcups catch all types of crap, and its pretty annoying.  One time I put it in my bag between a green and purple folder and guess what happened?  The rings had a while bunch of green on them!  This isnt too hard to clean but if your going to take it out and show it off you better clean it first.

1R: You should already know this but if you don't I'll tell you anyway.  Most of the 1rs have the jack rattle.  I don't want to go into too much detail here, but its not a deal breaker.

L1:  The pads aren't replaceable!  Yup, that means that once they desinagrate, the headphone is pretty much useless.  Can be a deal breaker, but if you have multiple headphones already, you shouldn't care.

[SIZE=12pt]Sound[/SIZE]

LowsMidsHighs
MDR 1R1.7532
Fidelio L12.52.53
WS9932.51.5
Quality  Scale of 3

LowsMidsHighs
MDR 1R342.25
Fidelio L142.753
WS994.53.51.5
Quantity Scale of 5

I like them all… but I’d say that I like the WS99 EQ’d the most.  I like the other two equally.  The 1r has the widest soundstage, the Fidelio L1 has the deepest, quickly followed by the WS99. 

If you’re a basshead, get the WS99 ASAP!  Just saying, the WS99’S mids are emphasized a little.  The highs are recessed.
If you love mids, want the best comfort, and best style, get the mdr 1r. If you like a more laid back sound, and don’t mind high clamp, consider the L1.
Now how about you guys opinions?

Ill put up the poll once I’m told all the headphones that should be on the list.

May 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 143
Here's my description of the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 sound signature:

[size=small]The overall sound leans to the bass side of the spectrum. Lows are boosted decently but not enough to drown out the mids or the highs. The highs are clear and distinct and not muddied in any way by the increased bass frequencies. Also, there are no sharp ear piercing trebles to be heard. The overall tone of the headphones is very soft sounding. Makes for a pleasant listening experience. I would say that both the lows and the highs do take precedence over the mids. They are quieter than the highs and lows but they are there. I would not say they are drowned out.[/size]
[size=small] So in short, they are very dynamic headphones with a slight bias towards the low end. I have tried them with a variety of music so far. Sounds good with everything from guitar heavy classic rock to chillstep with reverberating bass. I've tried them with various forms of electronic music along with different kinds of rock. I haven't listening to anything yet that has made me say, "these headphones were obviously not made for this kind of music."[/size]

[size=small] I hope that helps your thread. 
size]
[/size]

May 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 143
Hello!

I think there's a typo on the "poll" ... Isn't it "Denon" not "Denton"? Lol

My top pick :

Closed: K550/M4U1
Open: HD598
IEM: UE900

Here's the combined comparison that I made few months ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647465/mystery-unclosed-modern-closed-headphones-compared-sennheiser-hd598-update-psb-m4u2-added-7-5-13/90 [WARNING: Personal Preference]

May 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 143
I voted for the PSB by reputation and online graphs. That said, the custom one prois definitely cool bc it sound fairly neutral and can change when the situation demands it. I devised an EQ setting that can make it awesome for everything, but it makes the graph look pretty much like the PSB...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back