Full-sized headphones, warm signature, what are my options?
May 25, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #31 of 35
The MDR-Z1R headphones have almost a cult following here though they can be controversial. It is rumored that it takes most folks at least three days to get their heads around the very unorthodox signature. Even your high-profile headphone reviewers at times failed to find adaptability to their nature. Many of us found using the 4.4mm Kimber Kable helped dial them in a little farther to perfect.

Another headphone which is equal in preference with EDM is the prior flagship from Sony the 2014 XBA-Z7. I actually purchased a new open box special after buying the Z1Rs for only $360. After taking the risk of purchase it seems I would have gladly paid full retail what ever that was when they were just out? Probably only about $650 or something? Flagships have really jumped in price since 2014. But the Z7 offers a more rugged, slightly primitive version of the sound the Sony engineers flipped into the Z1R. I have the Denon AHD7000 which is in a way like the TH900 in that they are both Foster manufactured containing the same V shape response curve. I find the Z7 very fun, almost a guilty pleasure. The XBA-Z7 also gets dialed in a bit with the Kimber 4.4 cable.

The Z1R is a very big headphone, where the Z7 ends a better form factor, and history has shown some to sell their Z1Rs due to difficulty in using them in bed. Though both headphones are super low weight and have a reputation here as some of the most comfortable headphones ever made.

Good-luck!
54512E31-D88B-4279-BCC4-BD5C96D22F42.jpeg
34218EE5-BB64-40B9-913C-21886C8DDFF1.jpeg
B8F43675-CFC4-4755-936B-4C1C828163D6.jpeg
736DD6F8-699B-49C3-A1B7-737A5250F05A.jpeg

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 35
The MDR-Z1R headphones have almost a cult following here though they can be controversial. It is rumored that it takes most folks at least three days to get their heads around the very unorthodox signature. Even your high-profile headphone reviewers at times failed to find adaptability to their nature. Many of us found using the 4.4mm Kimber Kable helped dial them in a little farther to perfect.

Another headphone which is equal in preference with EDM is the prior flagship from Sony the 2014 XBA-Z7. I actually purchased a new open box special after buying the Z1Rs for only $360. After taking the risk of purchase it seems I would have gladly paid full retail what ever that was when they were just out? Probably only about $650 or something? Flagships have really jumped in price since 2014. But the Z7 offers a more rugged, slightly primitive version of the sound the Sony engineers flipped into the Z1R. I have the Denon AHD7000 which is in a way like the TH900 in that they are both Foster manufactured containing the same V shape response curve. I find the Z7 very fun, almost a guilty pleasure. The XBA-Z7 also gets dialed in a bit with the Kimber 4.4 cable.

The Z1R is a very big headphone, where the Z7 ends a better form factor, and history has even showed some even sell their Z1Rs due to difficulty in using them in bed. Though both headphones are super low weight and have a reputation here as some of the most comfortable headphones ever made.

Good-luck!

Thank you for the detailed description of the said headphones. Actually I have considered the Z1R but I am still on the fence about them. AFAIK they are crazy popular, at least in Denmark. I remember buying my first headphones back in 2007 which were a pair of Ultrasone's. Later I got a Woo Audio WA5-LE and a WES amp. I toyed with various headphones on the WA5-LE and always went back to the LCD-3. Of course with the WES it was Stax SR-009 all the way. While they sounded fantastic I was left a bit dissapointed. I am probably going to get stoned for that comment but that was my impression. Hopefully I will find the correct pair of phones some time down the road. ZMF Verite is on top but as I said in my last post, the LCD-4 might be a contender but I need more info on them.

edit: just saw the pictures. beautiful phones!

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 35
Thank you for the detailed description of the said headphones. Actually I have considered the Z1R but I am still on the fence about them. AFAIK they are crazy popular, at least in Denmark. I remember buying my first headphones back in 2007 which were a pair of Ultrasone's. Later I got a Woo Audio WA5-LE and a WES amp. I toyed with various headphones on the WA5-LE and always went back to the LCD-3. Of course with the WES it was Stax SR-009 all the way. While they sounded fantastic I was left a bit dissapointed. I am probably going to get stoned for that comment but that was my impression. Hopefully I will find the correct pair of phones some time down the road. ZMF Verite is on top but as I said in my last post, the LCD-4 might be a contender but I need more info on them.

edit: just saw the pictures. beautiful phones!

I still have a Woo 5 LE but have it in the USA, so I haven’t heard it for while. In 2010 I remember hearing a wide selection of STAX gear and still wanting something else. While I never truly explored STAX, as at times you really have to own stuff to know; I’m pretty happy with the gear I have, though IEMs is normally what I use.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #34 of 35
The choice landed on a pair of ZMF Verite Closed LTD Camphor Burl phones. If they do not hit the spot I might try Sony MDR-Z1R, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan 1000se, Audeze LCD-4z, final D8000 maybe even the Susvara. And to that extent, any one knows if they have the sound I am chasing? I am upping my budget from 2500USD to XXXX. Other phones that might be worth a try that I forget to mention?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #35 of 35
The choice landed on a pair of ZMF Verite Closed LTD Camphor Burl phones. If they do not hit the spot I might try Sony MDR-Z1R, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan 1000se, Audeze LCD-4z, final D8000 maybe even the Susvara. And to that extent, any one knows if they have the sound I am chasing? I am upping my budget from 2500USD to XXXX. Other phones that might be worth a try that I forget to mention?

I think you made a great choice. I have a pair and will never let them go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back