Full-sized headphones, warm signature, what are my options?
May 13, 2020 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Calle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I bought a Woo Audio WA8 with a pair of Jomo Audio Trinity Brass IEM's. Unfortunately I am not satisfied with the sound signature on the Trinity (treble is a bit much for me and the bass is severely over-bloated, at least to me) so on the lookout for a new pair. I am after full sized headphones that is warm with a tight bass.. I have had multiple full sized but my favorite has always been the Audeze LCD-3. I do not have them anymore as I sold my entire rig some years ago.

Was hoping some of you guys could help me along the way. My budget is around 2500USD. Would prefer not to buy the LCD-3's again as something new would be a more fun option. Thanks for looking. =)

EDIT: I forgot to say that I ONLY listen to trance (EDM).

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 35
Well...for EDM you would get much better dynamics from a closed back headphone. High end closed backs,such as the ZMF Verite closed and Focal Stellia do not sound like closed backs of years past.
For me,the Verite closed is the best headphone ive heard/owned. There isnt a genre Ive tried that it doesnt sound fantastic through,including psybient and Goa trance,which are the only EDM genres I listen to.

If youre hellbent on open backs the Verite open is also great for EDM,as is the ZMF Auteur.

Every headphone ZMF makes fits your requirements well. Ive owned them all except the Eikon.

May 13, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 35
Well...for EDM you would get much better dynamics from a closed back headphone. High end closed backs,such as the ZMF Verite closed and Focal Stellia do not sound like closed backs of years past.
For me,the Verite closed is the best headphone ive heard/owned. There isnt a genre Ive tried that it doesnt sound fantastic through,including psybient and Goa trance,which are the only EDM genres I listen to.

If youre hellbent on open backs the Verite open is also great for EDM,as is the ZMF Auteur.

Every headphone ZMF makes fits your requirements well. Ive owned them all except the Eikon.

Thank you for the recommendations! Not hellbent at all on closed backs. If it sounds great I don't care. =) Will research the ones you mentioned.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 35
You won't get full bass extension with dynamic headphones like ZMF (although they are beautifully crafted and beautiful sounding hps). Yes, you can try a few closed backs for EDM like the TH900, but if you also like spaciousness and a more natural sound the way to go with EDM is open back planar like your LCD3. Instead of the LCD3 you could try the LCD2C or the LCDX IMO. There is no punchier bass in the open back planar realm like Audeze. LCD3 bass however is slightly more polite than the 2C or X.

May 13, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 35
You won't get full bass extension with dynamic headphones like ZMF (although they are beautifully crafted and beautiful sounding hps). Yes, you can try a few closed backs for EDM like the TH900, but if you also like spaciousness and a more natural sound the way to go with EDM is open back planar like your LCD3. Instead of the LCD3 you could try the LCD2C or the LCDX IMO. There is no punchier bass in the open back planar realm like Audeze. LCD3 bass however is slightly more polite than the 2C or X.

TH900 you say, will look at that, thanks for that! I. Since I have already owned a pair of Audeze I was hoping for something different ie another brand.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 35
TH900 you say, will look at that, thanks for that! I. Since I have already owned a pair of Audeze I was hoping for something different ie another brand.

I don't think the TH 900 is warm at all. I've owned one in the past and enjoyed it a lot, but warm it was not. It is very fast, dynamic and punchy, but it is also thin sounding and a bit peaky in the treble. Basically, it has a lot of sub bass, and a slightly hot treble - definitely a lot more aggressive sounding than any Audeze.

I personally don't think it gets a lot better than the LCD 2.2c for warm headphone. You should consider the Sony MDR Z1R perhaps?

As for the trance genre, I think the TH 900 is a great pair of cans! But it isn't warm sounding is all. To my ears, their only real issue is the hot treble can get annoying with snares in hip hop etc, and its lack of mid bass presence/bloat makes it much better for fast sounding music than relaxed hiphop beats. I loved them for metal, classical, EDM and so on.

May 13, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 35
I don't think the TH 900 is warm at all. I've owned one in the past and enjoyed it a lot, but warm it was not. It is very fast, dynamic and punchy, but it is also thin sounding and a bit peaky in the treble. Basically, it has a lot of sub bass, and a slightly hot treble - definitely a lot more aggressive sounding than any Audeze.

I personally don't think it gets a lot better than the LCD 2.2c for warm headphone. You should consider the Sony MDR Z1R perhaps?

As for the trance genre, I think the TH 900 is a great pair of cans! But it isn't warm sounding is all. To my ears, their only real issue is the hot treble can get annoying with snares in hip hop etc, and its lack of mid bass presence/bloat makes it much better for fast sounding music than relaxed hiphop beats. I loved them for metal, classical, EDM and so on.

Ok, conflicting opinions. : - O I do appreciate that, though. Always good to hear different peoples views on cans. Regarding the Sony MDR Z1R, they are actually on my short list, at least based on what I've read about them they seem like a good fit. But still researching. =)

May 13, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 35
Ok, conflicting opinions. : - O I do appreciate that, though. Always good to hear different peoples views on cans. Regarding the Sony MDR Z1R, they are actually on my short list, at least based on what I've read about them they seem like a good fit. But still researching. =)

Subjective opinions are just that. I will say I have heard a lot of headphones in a lot of prize ranges, and I think the TH 900 are a great pair of headphones - in fact I miss them a lot. Its major strong points are to me:

- Insane sub bass
- Very good dynamics/punch, easy to get lost in euphoria listening to music and just tapping your foot
- Very good imaging and soundstage for its design (semi closed)
- Very high amount of clarity and detail for a dynamic headphone, only beaten (to my ears) by electrostatics and Senn HD800s - particularly in the treble (very airy)
- Good allrounders for most genres except hiphop!

- Weakness is spiked treble only IMO, which is easily fixed with EQ

May 13, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 35
Subjective opinions are just that. I will say I have heard a lot of headphones in a lot of prize ranges, and I think the TH 900 are a great pair of headphones - in fact I miss them a lot. Its major strong points are to me:

- Insane sub bass
- Very good dynamics/punch, easy to get lost in euphoria listening to music and just tapping your foot
- Very good imaging and soundstage for its design (semi closed)
- Very high amount of clarity and detail for a dynamic headphone, only beaten (to my ears) by electrostatics and Senn HD800s - particularly in the treble (very airy)
- Good allrounders for most genres except hiphop!

- Weakness is spiked treble only IMO, which is easily fixed with EQ

Thank you for all the info, I really appreciate it! I don't think I will go for the TH 900's due to that weakness you mentioned. I have owned the HD800's as well and I absolutely couldn't deal with the treble. Much too harsh for my taste. Have you had any experience with the Sony MDR Z1R? They sound like they would fit me but not buying them anytime soon or before I do more research.

May 14, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 35
Thank you for all the info, I really appreciate it! I don't think I will go for the TH 900's due to that weakness you mentioned. I have owned the HD800's as well and I absolutely couldn't deal with the treble. Much too harsh for my taste. Have you had any experience with the Sony MDR Z1R? They sound like they would fit me but not buying them anytime soon or before I do more research.

Unfortunately, I haven't! I think the LCD line of headphones is the correct fit for you tbh, I think the LCD 2.2 is really amazing.

May 14, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 35
Thank you, I will read up on them. Is the 2.2 also known as the classic version?
Yes, the pre fazor one. Afaik, they have remade it in the later years. In my personal opinion, it is a near perfect audiophile headphone to my ears. But I understand you want to change things up a bit... Fostex TH-X00 is similar to TH 900 without the treble spike, so I would also recommend that!

May 14, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 35
Yes, the pre fazor one. Afaik, they have remade it in the later years. In my personal opinion, it is a near perfect audiophile headphone to my ears. But I understand you want to change things up a bit... Fostex TH-X00 is similar to TH 900 without the treble spike, so I would also recommend that!

Going to check out those TH-X00's. They may be right for me. Thank you! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back