Full-sized headphones, warm signature, what are my options?
May 15, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #17 of 35
$2500 budget... I’d be looking at a lot nicer headphones than TH-X00 and the Nighthawk, those are great for under $500, but I’d be looking into ZMF Verite, Final D8000, Focal Stellia, HE1000, Abyss Diana. You could drop your budget to $1500 and do ZMF Aeolus/Auteur, Sony Z1R, Klipsch HP-3, those all sound amazing for EDM.

May 15, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #18 of 35
$2500 budget... I’d be looking at a lot nicer headphones than TH-X00 and the Nighthawk, those are great for under $500, but I’d be looking into ZMF Verite, Final D8000, Focal Stellia, HE1000, Abyss Diana. You could drop your budget to $1500 and do ZMF Aeolus/Auteur, Sony Z1R, Klipsch HP-3, those all sound amazing for EDM.

I have read really good things on the Verite and so far, they are my number one choice. I have also considered the HE1000 and the Stellia. The rest I need to research a bit. I hear that the HE1000 is a phone that can be listened while having a migraine. Is this true?

May 15, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #19 of 35
One thing that needs to be considered when looking at Hifiman headphones is the QC.
I will be the first to admit that Hifiman makes some very nice sounding headphones. I have owned the HE500 as well as the original HE-6. Both were very good sounding,but repeated driver failures soured me on their products.
On the other hand,ZMF offers a lifetime(!)warranty on drivers as well as industry leading customer service,not to mention the beautiful craftsmanship that goes into all of their headphones.

FWIW I used to own the LCD2.1 pre fazor. The sub bass was awe inspiring,but the slam wasnt that great and the mids sounded small and boxy. Sold it to buy my first ZMF,the Atticus after hearing it at Canjam NYC back in 2017. Been a fan of theirs ever since.

May 15, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 35
One thing that needs to be considered when looking at Hifiman headphones is the QC.
I will be the first to admit that Hifiman makes some very nice sounding headphones. I have owned the HE500 as well as the original HE-6. Both were very good sounding,but repeated driver failures soured me on their products.
On the other hand,ZMF offers a lifetime(!)warranty on drivers as well as industry leading customer service,not to mention the beautiful craftsmanship that goes into all of their headphones.

FWIW I used to own the LCD2.1 pre fazor. The sub bass was awe inspiring,but the slam wasnt that great and the mids sounded small and boxy. Sold it to buy my first ZMF,the Atticus after hearing it at Canjam NYC back in 2017. Been a fan of theirs ever since.

Thank you @Monsterzero This further cements that the ZMF Verite is for me. And yes, ZMF has great customer support from what I've experienced. Talked a bit back and forth with Zach. And life-time warranty is a game changer.

After hearing you talk negatively about Hifiman I think I will pass on those. So thank you once again for the guidance. It is much appreciated. =)

May 15, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 35
Thank you @Monsterzero This further cements that the ZMF Verite is for me. And yes, ZMF has great customer support from what I've experienced. Talked a bit back and forth with Zach. And life-time warranty is a game changer.

After hearing you talk negatively about Hifiman I think I will pass on those. So thank you once again for the guidance. It is much appreciated. =)
Zach is a great guy,and very interactive with his customers.
Perhaps you have seen this already,but I did a review of the Verite closed,and did heavy comparisons to the Verite open.

May 15, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #22 of 35
Perhaps you have seen this already,but I did a review of the Verite closed,and did heavy comparisons to the Verite open.

No I haven't seen that! :-O Will read it! Btw, Zach said that the closed was best for trance (EDM).

May 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #23 of 35
May 15, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 35
Subjective opinions are just that. I will say I have heard a lot of headphones in a lot of prize ranges, and I think the TH 900 are a great pair of headphones - in fact I miss them a lot. Its major strong points are to me:

- Insane sub bass
- Very good dynamics/punch, easy to get lost in euphoria listening to music and just tapping your foot
- Very good imaging and soundstage for its design (semi closed)
- Very high amount of clarity and detail for a dynamic headphone, only beaten (to my ears) by electrostatics and Senn HD800s - particularly in the treble (very airy)
- Good allrounders for most genres except hiphop!

- Weakness is spiked treble only IMO, which is easily fixed with EQ
Absolutely agree with that. TH900 is a masterpiece for me but not what you search for if you look for a warm signature. However i found the treble harshness was extremly dependant on the digital source. With a dirty source like a laptop to the DAC via USB the treble was piercing and not enjoyable but the better the source the smoother the treble. With the Sotm SMS 200 with Sbooster i can listen to hours while with a computer connected via USB my ears hurt after 5 minutes.

May 19, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #25 of 35
Absolutely agree with that. TH900 is a masterpiece for me but not what you search for if you look for a warm signature. However i found the treble harshness was extremly dependant on the digital source. With a dirty source like a laptop to the DAC via USB the treble was piercing and not enjoyable but the better the source the smoother the treble. With the Sotm SMS 200 with Sbooster i can listen to hours while with a computer connected via USB my ears hurt after 5 minutes.

I have always used a laptop and haven't had any problem with it. With LCD-3 it sounded amazing. HD800 on the other hand, so harsh. I had a pair of Ultrasone Edition 9 (I think, can't remember the model) and that also sounded great on a laptop.

I just got a new late 2019 MacBook Pro and from what I've researched it should be better sound-wise than a PC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #26 of 35

Just saw your review. Everything seems to be what I expected it to be. I am without a doubt buying the VC closed. Also, it's nice to put a face on the dude behind the comments. In a good way! No pun intended. :D

May 20, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #27 of 35
I have always used a laptop and haven't had any problem with it. With LCD-3 it sounded amazing. HD800 on the other hand, so harsh. I had a pair of Ultrasone Edition 9 (I think, can't remember the model) and that also sounded great on a laptop.

I just got a new late 2019 MacBook Pro and from what I've researched it should be better sound-wise than a PC. Correct me if I'm wrong.
From what i've read MacBook Pro should sound very good compared to other PCs and Laptops. Only MacMini with LPSU and other tweaks is said to sound better.

May 21, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #28 of 35
Thank you, I will read up on them. Is the 2.2 also known as the classic version?
Yes, the pre fazor one. Afaik, they have remade it in the later years. In my personal opinion, it is a near perfect audiophile headphone to my ears. But I understand you want to change things up a bit... Fostex TH-X00 is similar to TH 900 without the treble spike, so I would also recommend that!

Wait, I thought the fazor is the LCD2.2 (or the 2nd version of the LCD-2), and the current version of the LCD-2. And then the LCD-2 Classic (aka LCD2C) is the 3rd version on the LCD-2. What do I have wrong - did I miss one?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #29 of 35
Wait, I thought the fazor is the LCD2.2 (or the 2nd version of the LCD-2), and the current version of the LCD-2. And then the LCD-2 Classic (aka LCD2C) is the 3rd version on the LCD-2. What do I have wrong - did I miss one?

LCD 2.2c is the pre fazor one, and I think they can be identified by serial number. AFAIK the LCD-2 Classic is an attempt to recreate the pre fazor model? I've only heard the pre fazor LCD 2.

May 25, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #30 of 35
I have been offered a very good deal on a set of Audeze LCD-4's. Of those vs the ZMF Verite, which one would better suit me? Any info at all you can provide would help me greatly. Thank you for looking. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back