Full Size or IEM for Binaural Listening
Jul 9, 2012 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iamthem

100+ Head-Fier
Hi head-fier's, after listening to the amazing Explorations in Space and Time it made me wonder what's better in creating a soundstage, full size or IEM for binaural listening? What do you prefer?

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hi head-fier's, after listening to the amazing Explorations in Space and Time it made me wonder what's better in creating a soundstage, full size or IEM for binaural listening? What do you prefer?

Anything that provides a natural and neutral sound signature.....

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 6

Late response, but in my personal experience, IEMs do a better job of binaural recordings. This is probably because all the sound is directed into your ear canal, which is exactly the way binaural is recorded.

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I like my ER-4Ps for binaural, though I've always wondered how the ER-4Bs actually sound. I haven't found my HD800s totally convincing for binaural, though that's not surprising given their physical setup around the ear.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I wonder what sound signature for IEMs would give a more natural binaural experience, im assuming something flat in frequency response would do the job. Would something like the Shure SE425 be good? Even with the reviews saying it has sub par bass, the graphs for the se425 and the se535 look extremely similar.

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, after trying the Shure SE425, I can say for listening to binaural music, it's a little disappointing. This IEM is very flat, and while one might assume that means it would give a good natural sound, it really doesn't. There's not enough bass extension, so I'm thinking something with more of a V shaped signature would work better for binaural, or perhaps just with more bass response. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back