Full Size home CD player with Flac support?
Jul 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
Do they even exist?  I would love a full size home cd player with some internal storage / SD card slots that will play flac and most of the other audio codecs.  I've never seen one that has sd card support.  I see them for use in a car, but have not seen one for home use up close and was wondering if i could get some recommendations for a new home source that is both a CD player as well as an mp3 player with SD/Micro sd card support, most importantly flac support as well.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 14
The PS Audio PWT reads WAV files burned to a CD or DVD. I don't think it can do FLAC, though. You may be better off with a music server at home (Olive, etc.)

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 14
those prices are insane, there is no chance I would ever pay that much for a home audio player just for flac support, thats nuts.

wow, im stunned by that.  

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Yes the OPPO is costly and it is the "cream of the crop" for a "jack of all trades" CD/DVD player. For me I will just use my computer Blue-ray player and burner that will play FLAC files on the CD/DVD or cards. Normally I use my external hard drive to store my FLAC encoded files. I have setup my Windows Media player to play FLAC files. You may look at other methods that may be more cost effective for your needs.  

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 14
I was looking for a full size media player to make for the best source possible for my budget, I want to avoid computers.  I hate computers and wanted to avoid using one as my main home source.  I was hoping for a cd player with some sd card and flac support...its sad not much like that exists.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 14
There are CD Players with USB ports for MP3 playback through the CDPs DAC.

I guess it comes down to it's a CD Player why aren't you using CDs for full quality that's the way I'm sure the very few companies that even make CDPs still see it.

And usually the CDP buying crowd are buying CDPs because they don't care for converting music into other formats.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Well there is Marantz SA 8004 SACD/CD Player that has a USB connection and can become a DAC but you would still be stuck using a computer. And I'm not sure if it actually plays flac.

CDPs are usually just that a CD player.

I think your wanting a CD player to be more than it can and should be.
Especially if you don't want to use a computer.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 14
I disagree, there are CD players with mp3 and wma support that boast being audiophile grade...yet they do not support flac or lossless codecs?  The mp3s sound pretty terrible, poor quality music files outted to good headphones sounds abysmal to me...So, Im really not asking for anymore than the addition of 1 file type :\ 

If the CD/flac player doesn't exist or is insanely expensive, are there larger home theater like digital media players that will support flac?  I'm really not sure if what I am looking for exists or if it is something worth looking into, but I know I would like a much better sounding source than my portable mp3 players and do not wish to use a computer.  So, I was hoping for a large home cd-like-player that is for digital media since I cant have that with the CD functions/SD card as well.  Any ideas?

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah if you burn it to a disc or it has USB.
MP3 is the most the most popular format so I guess they got around to supporting it.
Only newer CDPs do this.

I really doubt these companies think of or care about the younger generation who won't buy a CDP anyways.
And downloads things that they really need to help them play a format that isn't really that popular.

And who knows maybe there is problems in getting it to convert or play off a usb stick or whatever else the issue is.

The very few companies that actually do make CDPs probably think. You own CDs you bought a CD player it plays the CDs the end.
And the ones that make good CDPs I'd rather them do their engineering/design into playing CDs and sounding good,working good than trying to conform into playing other formats because people don't want to buy CDs. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 14
I'd also recommend the Marantz SA8004. I think the SA8003 has USB input, as well. I'd think you could hook up a card reader and use it.

I've thought about upgrading to a SA8004, but the SA8001 sounds wonderful and it continues to soldier on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back