Full size headphones & sleeping
Jun 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

KONAKONA

Banned
Alright so, how many of you sleep with full size headphones on? What position do you sleep in? What headphones do you use?

I personally can't seem to sleep unless my head is down sideways, which makes it a pain in the rear to sleep with headphones on. AD700s have this funky fit that completely fails unless your head is upright. The MS1s do better, but if you cover up the hole on the back they sound like poo. I also heard a nasty plastic crack type sound the first time I slept on them.
frown.gif

What about you guys?

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 29
I use px100's when I sleep. Dunno if you'd count that as full size though.

I tried lying down on the AD700's too. It just doesn't work, because they extend past your head.

Earbuds are best suited for this kinda thing though, because when you want to turn over on your side you can just take one out.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 29
I don't sleep with any phones, but if I had to try a pair, I'd go with some IEMs like the EP630. The biggest problem I find is that the gap between zero and the lowest possible volume on the iPod is far too large at night.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 29
I've slept (or passed out) with headphones on plenty of times. I find the HD-600/650 and DT880 best for this. I especially like the HD-650 here - it's darker and groovier which is helpful for, er, certain states of mind.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 29
I don't fall asleep with them on, I always take them off mid-album, then wake up later and am pissed that I didn't listen to the whole thing.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 29
I don't sleep with headphones on but I do use muffs if you know what I mean.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 29
Q-Jays are so small that you can rest your ear on a pillow without feeling them being forcefully pushed inside your grey matter. I only use them for naps but it's definitely a viable option. I tried sleeping with full sized cans but I always wake up then I try to turn on the side as some point.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so, how many of you sleep with full size headphones on? What position do you sleep in? What headphones do you use?

I personally can't seem to sleep unless my head is down sideways, which makes it a pain in the rear to sleep with headphones on. AD700s have this funky fit that completely fails unless your head is upright. The MS1s do better, but if you cover up the hole on the back they sound like poo. I also heard a nasty plastic crack type sound the first time I slept on them.
frown.gif

What about you guys?

If the pain is in your rear, you're wearing them wrong.
biggrin.gif

I have fallen asleep several times with Grados on, but that's generally while semi-sitting up. To actually go to sleep with headphones, it's IEM all the way.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 29
I think I used to try sleeping with IEMs back when I had a nice collection of crappy ones. It seemed they were all too big and ended up trying to push into my ear. Not very comfortable.
frown.gif

Also, what volume do you all listen at? I usually listen at normal volume (Or a few times way back when, all the way up) or maybe a bit quieter. None of that one notch away from mute stuff though.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 29
When I wear the Grados to bed, I keep it quite low, low enough that my wife is not disturbed right next to me. If you know how Grados leak sound, you might guess that's pretty darn quiet.

The IEMs get maybe a touch more volume, but not much. I don't do 'notches', I dig analog volume controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back