full-size headphone rec for midrange lover (akg k712 at ad2000x or w5000)?
Sep 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,
I have been away from head-fi for a few years (man this site has transformed from its vbulletin years and so has headroom which used to be my main resource for quick headphone info).
But I have discovered that at home an open headphone is just really great for private listening if you dont have the room for some  good speaker setup.
I listen to quite a few music genres as well as movies and spoken word.
I find that midrange has to be the centre of the music vocals for me are all important. After that comes soundstage and open (not dark sounding) treble cant be too rolled off, i like a bit of sparkle and shimmer.
Bass is important but should absolutely not obstruct the mids. Mids should not be recessed at all. Imaging and instrurment separation are important too, i can forgive a bit smaller soundstage as long as imaging and separation are good.
But mids are where the music has to shine for me.
I was thinking about the akg k712 (the old k701 had a bit too little bass for me and the hd800 sounded a bit too analytical, i also just want to enjoy listening to my music). Or the ad2000x.
Any suggestions or pointers to helpful resources, guides, threads would be greatly appreciated. I have not decided upon a pricepoint yet because i first want to reorientate me on what is available these days.
I know that i might have to also buy  setup to go along with these, i know from the past that the k701 only came a live with a good amp, i dont remember about the ad2000.
Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 3
The K712 Pro and HD600 are my recommendations.  I ended up with the K712 Pro because it is more even sounding from bass to treble and has a little more low end rumble.  They are well worth it.

Have you read my review?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9482

If you listen to purely rock and metal I would not recommend the K712 Pro, but with Jazz, Classical, Acoustic, and many other genres it does extremely well.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Hello, Thanks for that pointer will go read your review now. I am realizing though that i will probbably have to spend a lot more on the rig then just the headphones. I have the philips x1 now and what i like is that you can just drive them from a portable player.
I changed teh thread title a bit, basically i am now looking at k712 ath ad2000x (still wondering what the differences are between this one and the older version) and the ath w5000.
I owned the ad2000 and w5000 in the past but at different times and it is quite some time ago.
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back