Full size headphone amp and ipod
Mar 19, 2011 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gazeds

New Head-Fier
Has anybody had any experiance of using a full size headphone amp such as a lehmann rhinelander or graham slee solo with an ipod, if so what are your finding's. The headphone's im using are grado rs2i's, and a fiio e7 amp. I'd just like to know would it be worth the expense of purchasing such an amp. All my file's are apple lossless, and my music taste,s are quite varied from rock to acoustic's

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Not familiar with the amplifier models you mentioned but my home listening setup is an iPod (5G Video) through a small line-out dock to a Schiit Asgard amplifier, driving an HD650. Sounds really, really good to me. It's at its best on classical, acoustic jazz and male or female solo vocals. But it also sounds really good on pop or rock type stuff as long as it's well recorded and not compressed to within an inch of its life (no amp or headphone can do much with over-compressed modern pop music). I bought the Asgard and HD650 each used and already had the iPod so it's a very moderate budget setup that plays very nice.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 3
The iPod you mentioned has a good quality DAC and is a good source component. A separate hi-fi DAC is better, of course, but the iPod is in my opinion a very decent source. I would definitely find it worth the money to buy a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back