Audio Technica ATH-A700 Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones With Double Air Damping
[size=x-large]or[/size]
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Headphones
[size=x-large]or[/size]
Sennheiser HD-555 Audiophile Headphones

Which would you pick?

Anyone?

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 14
Well, what're you listening to? What's your source? Where are you using them (might affect sealed vs non-sealed)? What're you looking for in a headphone?

EDIT: Bang-for-buck-wise, this is probably a good time to get Grados...I bet a lot of SR225(i)s are going to hit the for-sale forum in your price range as people get their HF-2s. Definitely keep an eye on the FS forum...sometimes you can pick up HD580s for $150, and they're great bang-for-buck wise, but rather need an amp.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 14
What will the cans be used for? The best bang for the buck kinda depends on what you want from your headphones.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Debian GNU/Linux

I like your style, good sir, for I won't have to interject for a moment, if you know what I mean. (Is it worth wiping my half-working Arch install for Debian? I miss .debs and tab complete in apt)

You might be able to find used A900s/K271S in the 150-170 range. Might.

I'm not going to recommend anything, as I only own the A700s, have yet to try the HD555s, and don't have AD700s.

I can, however, tell you I am very pleased with my A700s, but it's hard to tell you anything about them without having something else to compare to.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 14
For what I have read (but coming home next week), the ATH M50 (s)

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone?

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

What will you be using the headphones for? Types of music? Gaming? Movies? Home or portable use?

I have used the AD700, HD555, and A900 from cheap sound cards, but not the A700. If buying the AD700 again, I would radically modify it by bending the overhead bars so the ear pads clamp properly to my ears. If buying the HD555 again, I would modify it to sound like the HD595 (search HD555). If buying the A900 again, I would modify its pads so my ears don't rub on the inside of the ear cups. I also owned the HD595 and enjoyed it the most from a H/K receiver. So if buying one of these again, it would be the HD555.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 14
I just got the AD700s today, and they are running out of an SB Audigy 2 ZS. I'm currently liking them very much right now. My only issue is they don't seem to clamp very well on my head. I tried bending the bar, but it didn't work. Other than that, they sound great. Lacking a bit of bass presence, but it's deep. Just not fully "there."

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried bending the bar, but it didn't work.

FWIR...

You would have to bend the overhead bars at the apex with enough force to deform its shape from round to more like a V shape. And apparently this requires quite a bit of force, and this mod is not reversible. You probably would get a little better bass once the ear pads clamp properly. Although there's no guarantee "you" would consider the resulting quantity or impact to be sufficient.

In testing the AD700 that I owned, I pressed the ear cups to my ears to see if this mod likely would give it enough bass to suit me. And I determined that it would not, and so I sold my AD700 without modding it.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the AD700s today, and they are running out of an SB Audigy 2 ZS. I'm currently liking them very much right now. My only issue is they don't seem to clamp very well on my head. I tried bending the bar, but it didn't work. Other than that, they sound great. Lacking a bit of bass presence, but it's deep. Just not fully "there."

What I did is take it by the top center of the bar and bend it until the cups had passed each other (Twice, one with cups passing one way and one passing the other way so they didn't have any twist in them). The resulting amount of clamp was plenty enough to hold the cups together when the headphones were not on your head, as well as make them sound a bit better.
smile.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, no Grado recommendations yet?

Here's one
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, it really depends on what you're going to be doing with them. I liked the AD700, but found them overrated. Super soundstage isn't necessary for everything, and can actually derive from the music at some points. I very much like the MS-1i, and the SR225 was great too. I preferred the MS-1i overall though.

It really depends what you're going to be doing with the phones. If it's gaming, definitely go for the AD700 for the expansive soundstage.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back