Full review of the new iPod
May 5, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil
Why don't you just pause it and let it go to sleep on its own after two minutes?

The ipod never ever turns off. Even if you hold down play to put it to sleep and think it saves power, it doesnt. Power is still given to the RAM. It doesn't remember where you left off, but if you play the song you were playing before you turn it off, the hard drive won't spin up because that data was still held in the RAM while it was asleep.

I manually 'sleep' the system to save juice. If I know i'm not gonna be listening for a while, I'll just hold down the play button to force the ipod to sleep. That way, I don't wait for the 2 minutes to be up before it manually sleeps.

With the old ipods, if you forced sleep, and wake up the system, you will not be at the last song where you shut down at. It will go back to the playlist menu. That kinda bugged me about the old ones.

May 5, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil
Why don't you just pause it and let it go to sleep on its own after two minutes?

The ipod never ever turns off. Even if you hold down play to put it to sleep and think it saves power, it doesnt. Power is still given to the RAM. It doesn't remember where you left off, but if you play the song you were playing before you turn it off, the hard drive won't spin up because that data was still held in the RAM while it was asleep.

yeah, the ipod's sleep mode is common knowledge. it seems like there is little advantage to holding the last song(s) in RAM if doesn't auto-resume. you would think after a year and half they could add that feature.

May 5, 2003 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 25
My 20gb iPod saves the last song that was being played, right at the same point.

(just checked - was listening to queens of the stone age about 5 hours ago, and just pressed Play and it popped on)

May 5, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 25
Ok..so does it, or does it not ? From the comments here, it would seem as if you have to trick the iPod into resuming at a particular place.... Blah.

And as for iTunes on the PC....double Blah...When in history has mac software ever worked well (aside from the NEW stand alone quicktime player) on the pc, or visa versa. I say let's stay on our respective side of the tracks. Not that I'm against universal hw/sw support, but those 2 Co's in kahootz is like an accident waiting to happen.

May 5, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
My 20gb iPod saves the last song that was being played, right at the same point.

(just checked - was listening to queens of the stone age about 5 hours ago, and just pressed Play and it popped on)

yes, but does it do that if you manually sleep the system? Hold down the play button for 5 seconds.

May 5, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #21 of 25
Perhaps there's a difference in the way Mac and PC versions function. In both v1.3 and v2.0 the Mac version will resume at the exact point where it went to sleep.

It's really false economy to put your iPod to sleep by holding down the Play button if you intend to resume where you left off. Doing so requires the HD to spin up which takes more juice than allowing it to sleep from pause.

Another word about the batteries: You can extend the life of your iPod's battery, and other li-ion and polymer batteries, by never allowing them to become fully discharged. I keep mine topped up and avoid letting them get below the last bar.

May 5, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
Perhaps there's a difference in the way Mac and PC versions function. In both v1.3 and v2.0 the Mac version will resume at the exact point where it went to sleep.

It's really false economy to put your iPod to sleep by holding down the Play button if you intend to resume where you left off. Doing so requires the HD to spin up which takes more juice than allowing it to sleep from pause.

Another word about the batteries: You can extend the life of your iPod's battery, and other li-ion and polymer batteries, by never allowing them to become fully discharged. I keep mine topped up and avoid letting them get below the last bar.

ok, does it indeed resume where you left off, if you manually put the unit to sleep?

my old 5GB, 10GB, and 20GB with 1.26 sure diddn't.

May 5, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
Uh.... my ipod v.1.1 (10g thin) does NOT resume after you turn it off. This is my biggest gripe. None of the firmwares I have used on it changed that. I have v1.30 on it right now, even.

Is there some way to get it to resume from the song you were listening to??

You have to pause the iPod and then let it turn off (sleep) on its own (2 minutes). The next time you press play, it will resume where you paused it.

If you "force sleep" it by holding down the play/pause button, it will not resume.

May 6, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
You have to pause the iPod and then let it turn off (sleep) on its own (2 minutes). The next time you press play, it will resume where you paused it.

If you "force sleep" it by holding down the play/pause button, it will not resume.

I never "force sleep" it... never knew I could do that..

May 6, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #25 of 25
Same here, I think I overlooked it in the manual. Just hold the play button down until it turns off
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back