Full review of the new iPod
May 5, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 25
Hi Stan,

Great review, it's very fair and has been a great read. However, I wouldn't say that opening my IPod was like receiving a high powered sports car
biggrin.gif
I would be WAY more psyched than receiving an Ipod!

Cheers
Jason

May 5, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 25
Stan..you seriously rock when it comes to reviews and pictures.....

Please tell me what kind of camera you're using. That thing takes beautiful macros man...

S.S.

May 5, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 25
Thanks! I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 4500. The Coolpix line has always been famous for it's macro shots.

May 5, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 25
Oh good, you're still awake...

When you say that after turning it off or putting it in sleep mode, and then turning it back on it goes back to the song it was playing...do you mean that it has auto resume ? On my iRiver player, when it's shut off and you turn it back on, and press play, it actually starts playing at the same spot you stopped it at. I'd have to say that this is one of the most useful "features" that one could have in an mp3 OR Cd player. So does the iP2 do the same ?

Oh..and how's the camera for all other pics aside from macro..looks good, but only you would know. How does it handle outdoor lighting and shadowing etc...? I"ll have to look for reviews on it. Thanks.

EDIT: Damn, that's one cool ass digi cam...I was just looking at the review over at Steves digicam site...Cool place. Too long though, must sleep. But the 4500 looks very impressive indeed. Must go on the "to get" list.

Jeez, ya know...Upon registering at this site, you may as well just hand your wallet over. *sigh*

May 5, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 25
Oh man...it does ? That's cool. Oh boy....looks like I may have to eat my words. I mean, I guess I could live without the remote and cradle. Oh yeah...I always wanted to ask this of an iPod user. How's the seek time ? Does it get slow as you load more and more files ? I'm assuming that you've actually filled your old ones up to the hilt. The only thing that would make me want the 15 gigger, is that I have way more than 10 gigs worth of music but..if the seek time gets worse, or if the batteries actually suffer because of the amount of data you put on it..then the sacrifice may be in order.

The one thing though that may actually steer me away from the iPod is that it will probably never have Ogg support, where as the iHP100 Might... I really want my Ogg's portable.

May 5, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 25
seek times? fast. As fast as it takes to load the 32MB buffer. Hardly noticable IMO. Never met anyone that owned an ipod that didn't love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 25
I'm not complaining about mine. The only gripe I have is not being able to use the iTune software which seems to be much better than the MM Juke Box software provided.

May 5, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 25
Cool beans Stan. By the way, how are you testing the battery life? What kind of files are you using ? A mix of .wav and differently encoded Mp3's or what ? Also, did you set the iPod to shuffle the songs rather than have it play straight down the playlist ? Cause in real life most people I think would have a player set to shuffle if the battery life was known to be good, dontcha think ?

Ok, I'm going to bed. Good Night.

May 5, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
I'm not complaining about mine. The only gripe I have is not being able to use the iTune software which seems to be much better than the MM Juke Box software provided.

Good news: iTunes is being ported to Windows.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 25
Yeah, that'll be great. Ephpod is a great freeware but iTunes has the ability to download songs according to ratings you gave them which is a plus. Just reading the ipod manual about iTunes made me wish I had one of those white beauties

May 5, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 25
Stan, even the first iPod would resume where it left off after the first firmware upgrade. Before that, I hated listening to audiobooks on mine.

May 5, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 25
Uh.... my ipod v.1.1 (10g thin) does NOT resume after you turn it off. This is my biggest gripe. None of the firmwares I have used on it changed that. I have v1.30 on it right now, even.

Is there some way to get it to resume from the song you were listening to??

May 5, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 25
Why don't you just pause it and let it go to sleep on its own after two minutes?

The ipod never ever turns off. Even if you hold down play to put it to sleep and think it saves power, it doesnt. Power is still given to the RAM. It doesn't remember where you left off, but if you play the song you were playing before you turn it off, the hard drive won't spin up because that data was still held in the RAM while it was asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back