Full Review : Beyerdynamic DT770-250
Oct 25, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #16 of 28
Nice review poorimpulsectrl, you've really peaked my curiousity of this 770. If only there was someplace I could try them.

A couple of questions, did customs nail you for duty, taxes, etc.? If so how much was it, if you don't mind my asking? Also, on the high end have things tamed? How do you find sibilance? Is it natural or does it get that hot spitty sound?

Also I have a D25S and CMoy, can anyone give me an idea how well the 770 will work with this combo?

Oct 25, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 28
Elnero, yeah CC screwed me about $26 on import (GST, PST, etc.). High end on them is certainly tamed. Again there is crispness to the sound but not to such an extent that is uncomfortable to listen to. Sound seems natural and warm to me.

Oct 25, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #18 of 28
Just got home with m 770's and I couldn't resist plugging them in and getting a listen. With absolutely no burn-in whatsoever, they are, well in a word: "Whoa"!

More words: Clean, clear, bass, IMPACT, fun! Think Senn 580's+Clou with the bass turned up, or maybe uncovered even more. I am not sure it is deeper or just coloured (or a little of both). Soundstage is not quite up to that of an open can, but better than any other closed can I have hear thus far. No funky resonsances that have accompanied closed cans I have heard in the past. I guess it is possible.

My guess is that these will not be my do-all cans like my Senns have been, or the ones I'd pull out for finer classical music or piano jazz (timbres just not "right"). Still have to experiment with some vocals. But for anything else, like rock, R&B, etc. it may be hard to choose which can to use. They are a good complimentary phone, which is exactly what I wanted.

Gotta go listen summore!

Oct 26, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
That's very odd...the bass on my Yamaha receiver definitely outperforms any pcdp i own. I tried the Beyer's with a Mg head and was blown away, the bass was amazing (with the right tubes of course). Although, i've it to be quite extended without becoming flabby directly out of the jack on my Yamaha receiver.

Well, I haven't tried them with any Yamaha equipment. :p

As for the pcdp, I only meant that the overall tonal balance was about right. There's still plenty of need for an external amp, though.

Oct 26, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
More words [for the DT-770]: Clean, clear, bass, IMPACT, fun! Think Senn 580's+Clou with the bass turned up, or maybe uncovered even more. I am not sure it is deeper or just coloured (or a little of both).

My guess is that these will not be my do-all cans like my Senns have been, or the ones I'd pull out for finer classical music or piano jazz (timbres just not "right").

i also have both the DT-770 and the Senn HD580. on classical recordings, i like the DT-770 for more modern pieces with tympani and HF instruments like triangles. holst 'the planets' is a good example.

i prefer the HD580s for piano sonatas and string quartets. perhaps that's because the HD580s emphasize the midrange.
biggrin.gif

the DT-770 seems to do a better job at keeping complex instruments separated. the DT-770, to my ears, seems very 'quick,' while the HD580s sound slower and more forgiving. but i find it a bit hard to go back to the HD580s which seem to lack the very bottom octave completely.

the DT-770 have become my do-all cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #21 of 28
I just wanted to say, excellent review, especially for someone who only has as few posts as poorimpulsectrl does (65 at time of this reading).

Nov 3, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #22 of 28
Too good in fact...

I've grown really accustomed to the DT250 sound, might consider upgrading to the DT770 at this rate
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 28
Hi I'm a brand spankin' newbie here (and with pro headphones in general) so I hope I frame this novice question correctly.

I am considering getting Beyerdynamic DT770s. I am a DJ spinning primarily electronic music - techno, house and downtempo/funk/acid-jazz. Currently using Sony MDR-600 (I think? They are over 4 years old now) and before that used and abused the Sony V6.

Most often I DJ at home, but sometimes out on a loud PA system, (when I do need good strong volume, and isolation for cueing). Also once a week I play a radio show, but that's in a pretty quiet studio. 90% of the time I'm using the headphones for listening/cueing 12" or LP vinyl through my Vestax DJ mixer.

poorimpulsectrl: Your photo (and detailed review) caught my attention and saw you listen to similar music so maybe these phones will be good for my needs too. I like the descriptions of DT770s, but also have read that an amp is required to drive them properly, right? But for what kind of applications?

I would be plugging these into my DJ mixer, a Vestax PCV-275. It has great volume (rotary knob to control it) with my current phones, but what do I know... will it be enough for the DT770s. I looked at the mixer specs to see about the Headphone "out" on the Vestax website, http://www.vestax.com/products/pcv275.htm

here is all I think is really relevant though?

OUTPUT, Monitor headphone out:
--stereo (150 mW; Jack 1/4 inch)

Now, just to be sure, for the DT770s, I don't need a ADDITIONAL amp to drive the DT770's -- do I ? When used with the Vestax?

Now, for the catch: But if I wanted to use them with an iPod someday, would I need to get an amp?

As you can tell (like most DJs) I'm a heavy headphone user, but real new to the pro headphone world.

Thanks!
bluemonday

Nov 10, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
i also have both the DT-770 and the Senn HD580. on classical recordings, i like the DT-770 for more modern pieces with tympani and HF instruments like triangles. holst 'the planets' is a good example.

Edgar Meyer has a CD out of Bach Cello Concertos played on double bass. Talk about a classical album designed for these headphones. When he hits that lowest string it'll have your complete and undivided attention.

Dusty Chalk / Duncan ; Thank you.

Nov 10, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #25 of 28
Hey Bluemonday ;

First of all, wicked name. I'm guessing you're like me and grab every Blue Monday remix that comes out there. Have you heard Ben Sims' whitelabel take on it ?

Regarding your question, I can't say as I haven't used them for DJ'ing specifically. I know that my instantaneous reaction with them was far better than the Sony MDR700DJ's, if that's any bit helpful. I guess what I'd do if I were you is see if I can find any commonly used DJ cans that have a similar impedance. I.E. To figure out if people can drive off a mixer headphones that require an amp. Or find specs on the headphone out on the particular mixer you use.

AFAIK the Ipod has an above average amp in it (atleast compared to those typically found in MD and PCDP's). But that it would still have less power to drive than a dedicated portable amp.

Nov 10, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bluemonday
Hi I'm a brand spankin' newbie here (and with pro headphones in general) so I hope I frame this novice question correctly.

I am considering getting Beyerdynamic DT770s. I am a DJ spinning primarily electronic music - techno, house and downtempo/funk/acid-jazz. Currently using Sony MDR-600 (I think? They are over 4 years old now) and before that used and abused the Sony V6.

Most often I DJ at home, but sometimes out on a loud PA system, (when I do need good strong volume, and isolation for cueing). Also once a week I play a radio show, but that's in a pretty quiet studio. 90% of the time I'm using the headphones for listening/cueing 12" or LP vinyl through my Vestax DJ mixer.

poorimpulsectrl: Your photo (and detailed review) caught my attention and saw you listen to similar music so maybe these phones will be good for my needs too. I like the descriptions of DT770s, but also have read that an amp is required to drive them properly, right? But for what kind of applications?

I would be plugging these into my DJ mixer, a Vestax PCV-275. It has great volume (rotary knob to control it) with my current phones, but what do I know... will it be enough for the DT770s. I looked at the mixer specs to see about the Headphone "out" on the Vestax website, http://www.vestax.com/products/pcv275.htm

here is all I think is really relevant though?

OUTPUT, Monitor headphone out:
--stereo (150 mW; Jack 1/4 inch)

Now, just to be sure, for the DT770s, I don't need a ADDITIONAL amp to drive the DT770's -- do I ? When used with the Vestax?

Now, for the catch: But if I wanted to use them with an iPod someday, would I need to get an amp?

As you can tell (like most DJs) I'm a heavy headphone user, but real new to the pro headphone world.

Thanks!
bluemonday

Wouldn't Beyers be too dark for mixing dance tracks?... Everybody but you would be holding their ears because of all the Ziiiiiiiiiings...

I may be wrong though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back