Full Of Schiit Stack
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 21
How would you characterize the Asgard 2? Warm? Analytic? What do you like Best about it?

Warm. Both in sound signature, and that in the winter you could use this as a space heater.
I think they make vocals come to life, moreso than any other instrument or sound you will hear. The vocals get all the attention. It's not super bright. It's more mildly bright, mellowly warm. That lack of brightness compared to the cheaper priced Magni may give off the impression that it's not as detailed because you are losing some quality up there. But really unless you are trying to hate it and A/B switch for a couple hours you aren't really going to find the Magni outperforming something that's almost 3x more expensive.
Though where it lacks in brightness it makes up for in smoother, cleaner, fuller sound. All-around sound is just great for most any headphone. Great lows, good mids, average highs w/ outstanding vocals. If you are looking for an energetic amp--maybe not the best choice. It's not exactly energetic. It's really just well-rounded in everything it does, what it's really great in is brought down by what it's subpar in. Making it just above-average in that whole category.

Analytic, can't say for sure. I don't really use analytic headphones. The primary phones I use don't really have a soundstage since they are closed back they don't even attempt sound stage they just combine everything and zero it in straight at your ears, but not in a bad way. They have a ridiculously low soundfloor. Zero noticeable harmonic distortion at higher volumes. No crackling or buzzing of any sort.
The potentiometer (volume knob) gets a little hot after it's heated up. Not hot enough to burn you but enough to where it's not exactly comfortable fiddling with the volume for a long period of time.
Overall, good amp. Lacking in some areas but makes up for it in others.
I got it for $180 from eBay, and in my opinion was worth every penny. $250 that Schiit wants is a fair price.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 21
How would you characterize the Asgard 2? Warm? Analytic? What do you like Best about it?

I was wondering this same thing. I'm looking for something to drive my warmer cans. I'm using the Magni 2U now. The Jot keeps calling my name, but used Asgard2's seems to be a good deal.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 21
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #19 of 21
Good information. I have the Magni 3, so I doubt I'll get the Asgard, but would be nice to have something to match the size of my Biforst. But I also read that the Magni 3 started out as an Asgard 3 in development, which makes me wonder if there ever will be an Asgard 3...

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #20 of 21
But I also read that the Magni 3 started out as an Asgard 3 in development, which makes me wonder if there ever will be an Asgard 3...
I sure hope so. I'm sure they'll get around to doing the Asgard 3 soon enough. Just not in the near future. But the whole $100-$450 range seems to be where Schiit sells their most products at. There's just not that many people in the market for Mjolnir 2 x Yggdrasil combos.
I think they'll make v.3s of their lower end lines and mid-end but not even bother with the higher end unless they see good enough revenue flow from their current products.
My guess, if Asgard 3 ever comes out. You can bet it'll be a while. If they were going to make a v3 of anything right now. Either the Modi or the Fulla is my best guess.
Still, waiting for that Asgard 3!

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #21 of 21
Are those tubes ok for the Valhalla? I’ll be interested in hearing your impressions re: Valhalla 2. Schiit touts it as not being “your dad’s tune amp” - the implication being it isn’t syrupy and typically “tubey.”
The tubes should work with it, both are 9 pin preamp tubes. I'll be sure to post when they both arrive, the Valhalla won't be here until early March or so. I've heard impressions of these particular tubes from others, but I want to try it for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back