Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ExpatinJapan

Headphoneus Supremus
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 18
Fujiya Avic Headphone show, Tokyo Japan
-expatinjapan

Who said Head pie didn`t travel in style?
The show is about 10 minutes by bicycle from my house.

Nakano Sun Plaza when the shows are held in April and usually October.

A few of us Head-fiers met up at Starbucks early in the morning to get fueled up for the incoming onslaught of audio gear...and crowds of people.
Jerry Harvey of JH Audio joined us and showed us the new Lola in custom and universal.

iBasso DX200 and JH Audio Lola (special Jerry edition).

Head-fiers hard at work gathering impressions.

I entered the show on a PRESS pass to try to collect as many photos as possible before the crowds arrived and the place heated up.
My plan was to hit it fast, get some photos, listen to some gear and escape before it became super crowded.
I will let the photos do most of the talking.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-29_15-22-0.png
    upload_2017-4-29_15-22-0.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 18

JH Audio and Astell and Kern.

Chord

Dita and its Awesome plug - review on Head pie (and Head-fi)

Dita Truth in many colors, review on Head pie (and head-fi)

Hifiman

The new Sony service for in ears

Sony Dap paradise.
I had a good talk with my friend Mr.Sato and the Sony crew.

Around this time the doors opened and it started to fill up.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 18

Opus and its 1,2,3, Daps.
Opus#1 is reviewed on Head pie (and Head fi) and Opus#3 will be reviewed soon.
We had a good conversation.

Dita the Dream, it was occupied earlier.

I always love this corner.

Campfire Audio.
some of all time favorite in ears and most of them have been reviewed on Head pie (and Head-fi).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 18

JH Audio.
Friendly as usual.

This year booth girls made a come back after several year absence.

Two lovely booths of natural wood products.

Audio Technica earphones and FiiO daps

KANN!
Oh no a queue! The KANN was very popular, I waited my turn though.

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 18

I enjoyed the clarity, detail and spaciousness of the Campfire Audio Andromeda.

With the CA Vega it seemed to lose a bit of the musicality and dynamic sonics.
Still, overall I think its going to be a winner for A&K, its isn`t so large in person.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 18
Too lazy to upvote all your post, so i'm just gonna say: Good job!
Now give us some juicy impressions :thumbsup:

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 18
Yes - curious about the new Pioneer closed back - and how they compare to the Z1R

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 18
Early impression on SE-MONITOR5 is positive on Canjam SoCal, thus curious about the comparison between SE-MONITOR5 and Z1R, also would like to know the impression of Grado PS2000e

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 18
After this great pictorial report from Damon, I would contrast with these meager words describing my short time at the show yesterday :).

Actually, I spent more than half my time at the Stax booth, first talking to Stax staff and checking out the new T8000 amp as discussed in this post #32 of Jude's video unveiling. The rest of the time at the Stax booth was spent catching up with @jude and Ethan, they remembered stories from >12 years ago when we traded amps, I felt both very old and ashamed to have forgotten most of this. @jude has just an unbelievable memory and the same great enthusiasm as always, it was really nice to catch up with you, however short time this was :). Ethan, I forgot your handle name, hope you read this.
Also, at Stax booth (I did not mean to be glued there the whole time!!), I met with @Currawong and @Marshal Banana , again too brief unfortunately, but it was nice to see you both :).

I continued my round and went to MrSpeaker's booth for a short listen to the Ether E prototype. The design seems to have evolved significantly with reinforced stators reminiscent of the SR009 and what seems like larger opening pads. They also sounded drastically different (from same BHSE and M1 source) from what I recall at previous show (1 year ago?) with a bit higher efficiency. From the brief listening they sounded warmer than previous iteration but overall a tad muted / dynamically restricted coming from SR-009/T8000 combo. Again, this was unfamiliar music, very short listen, not sure there's much to trust in there.
Now, the people handling the booth also distribute the Sonoma system so I could have a short listen. Against my (negative) pre-conception on this combo, it does not sound half bad. Felt the voicing was good (wish there was more variety in the source material to play though and I wonder these DSD recordings in there are very specific / good sounding masters vs. the CD version I use). Phones are light, only complaint would be the clamp of death, had to remove my glasses.

Last stop was at Hifiman booth, I could meet Fang for the first time and he seemed much much friendlier in person than what I imagined when reading his posts before on Head-fi or other videos online. I think I told him perhaps 6 or 7 times I felt the Susvara pricing was out of line, it should be 3k and replacing the HE-1000. I feel, perhaps the technology has evolved almost too quickly at Hifiman over the past 2 years and Fang is having a challenging when wanting to put to market new products that put the 6 month old shiny toys to shame...
I am saying all this because I was actually very impressed by what I heard from the Susvara. The voicing is really nice, extremely engaging with amazing kick, good presence / extension but no shrillness. It does not sound too restrained like I recall from the HE1000. So I just asked Fang to make this into a 1kHz entry level hifiman and all will be happy :).
Fang mentioned about large improvements in the magnet construction, in particular shaping the magnets to avoid sharp edges. I personally felt that the pads were very well executed and the voicing must be a result of multiple variables but that's my acoustic engineer's take without actually trying the experiment... In the end, apart from the pricing, there's nothing I dislike about the Susvara: look, design (comfortable, not too heavy), finish and especially voicing / sound quality. Per Fang's words, part of the magic is also the 50W Class A speaker amp driving the headphones.
I also briefly listened to the Shangri-la, it sounded significantly different from the Susvara, perhaps a bit too lean / bright to my taste coming from the systems I listened to on that day. The amp is huge, about 2x what I imagined from the pictures.
I could very briefly catch up with @AnakChan, discussion to be continued over beers and dinner in next few weeks :).

Overall, a very very nice time yesterday, a big thank you to Fujiya organizers for putting such nice event together and the manufacturers for making many efforts to attend the show.

cheers,
arnaud

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 18
I was really impressed by the new Luxman P-750u amp, the successor of their previous flagship, the P-700u.

Luxman.jpg

Seems highly resolving, but of course, I can't say for sure because it was so noisy that you can't have a proper impression unless you listen in a quiet environment. Their booth was right next to the Hifiman which was also impressive, I quite liked the Susvara. If I could choose 2 products to take home with me from the show, it would be this amp at the Susvara, no doubt about it. :D

Anyway, I'm certainly considering getting this amp. The stated price was 300,000 yen which is around $2,600 (before tax). The release, as far as I know should be 20th of June, in Japan, not sure about overseas.

Anyone else heard this one, and if so, what did you think of it?

May 1, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Thanks all.

It takes a lot of time to take show photos and cuts into thr listening time for sure.

I had to upload in separate posts as the new head fi is still being tweaked.

Glad people enjoyed the pics.

Regards
Expat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back