Introducing the STAX SRM-T8000 - Head-Fi TV
Apr 29, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #31 of 247
I am watching with interest for feedback from folk who have the BHSE or Carbon, to get an idea of where it sits. I will try and get to hear it this summer to know for sure.

I like the tubes on the input. I wonder if you can tube roll the 6922? Or is it a Stax warranty / service fitting only. As tube rolling would be useful to fine tune the amp to mate with a particular DAC or just personal taste for example.

I won't her buying it mind, I am set on my Carbon and the rest of my gear has been 'tuned' around that amp. But it is IMO all good news having a (potentially) top Stax amp, as it could open up the 007 and 009 market to more clients when they here what they sound like on a (hopefully) better sounding amp in dealer demo's which I can imagine is the bulk of where the purchase decision making happens.

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #32 of 247
Thank you @pokemonn for the quick translation of the video from Suzuki-san! I was unable to like your post due to "security error" so here is my appreciation in words :).

I've seen the T8000 yesterday at the Fujiya festival, it looks fantastic with the sand blasted finish in the aluminum front panel and other selectors.

The feet with rubber isolators make the amp very stable, I could plug / unplug phones without worrying about the amp sliding.

I had a quick chat with Suzuki-san (chief engineer) who made it to the show but I could not dare translate as I fear I misundertood what he told me in Japanese (I am not electrical engineer).

In regards to sonic impressions, considering the unfamiliar music, short audition time and background noise, I can only give very rough/initial statement. I kept switching between the T8000 and the SRM727 which I owned for several years before the BHSE. I used the SR009 on display since that's my sole home HP these days.

I will say this: the sonic difference between these 2 amps was far greater than what I recall when comparing the rest of the Stax line. In fact, I'd surmise the difference between SRM727 and T8000 is more akin to the jump I made when going from my 727A (unmodded) to my Blue Hawai.

What jumped at me yesterday on the T8000 was in particular the much added impact and firmness of the bass and more natural female voice. The T8000 immediately sounded fuller, more organic, while the 727 sounded dryer (very obvious on female voices).

There's no way for me make comparisons with my BHSE but there's no question that the T8000 sounds very different from the 727, much better from the little I could hear.

The T8000 also sounded more spacious (the SR009 sounded more open than I am used to) but I'd want to evaluate this at home to be certain.

Last there was not a single trace of hardness or emphasize in the mids/upper-mids. The SR009 sounded in fact warmer on the T8000 than what I am used to at home. Not sure if this is all amp related or also in parts from the player, SR009 sample (brand new unit it seemed, mine's from 2011).

On a side note, I also met with Sasaki-san (sales director) who was very friendly as usual and new faces. In particular, Shimizu-san who handles domestic sales and Douglas lp who handles international distribution (some of you have seen him at previous shows in the US etc...). We had great discussions, and it feels to me like Stax is trying more and more to listen to its customers and things are evolving. As an example, there is no price distortion between Japan and the other markets for the T8000.

Overall, a very very nice time spent at the Stax booth yesterday :).

Cheers,

Arnaud

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #33 of 247
@astrostar59, again @Pokemonn should confirm but I recall Suzuki-san saying Stax will take care of tubes servicing, user isn't apparently supposed to fiddle inside this amp (some other Stax amps have internal switches for instance).

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #34 of 247
In regards to sonic impressions, considering the unfamiliar music, short audition time and background noise, I can only give very rough/initial statement. I kept switching between the T8000 and the SRM727 which I owned for several years before the BHSE. I used the SR009 on display since that's my sole home HP these days.
Nice write up! It looks promising since some folks say the difference between 727 and BHSE could only be discerned when listening to relative complex music(Symphonies for example). But you heard big difference in a short time between T8000 and 727 even with music materials you are not familiar with.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #37 of 247
Nice write up! It looks promising since some folks say the difference between 727 and BHSE could only be discerned when listening to relative complex music(Symphonies for example). But you heard big difference in a short time between T8000 and 727 even with music materials you are not familiar with.

727 sounds totally different from BHSE or Carbon. Any music used can tell right away. 727 bass is muffled, confused and highs is rolled off no sparkle.

From the impression. T8000 is in the league of BHSE and Carbon. Which is great!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #39 of 247
@Whitigir there are rumor that Headamp will release ALL tube stage estat amp. so its not so wierd tho.
All Tubes stage is not weird, the DIY T2 is an all tube stage, and even Megatron is tubes galore. I don't know why but the input tube stage is more like an attemp to save space and shave down the form factor of the amp itself. I rather go with BHSE or GG for hybrids

Btw, don't be thinking a proper all Tubes stages ES amp to come cheap...Probably 2x the price of BHSE, could be more

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #41 of 247
diy T2 as the original has a tube front end and a tube output stage. And lots and lots of semiconductors in between them. es1,es2,aristaeus,ges,wes,he90 are all 100% tubes. Megatron is 100% tubes with solid state current sources in the first 2 stages.

t8000 is tube front end, with solid state everything else

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #42 of 247
Overall, a very very nice time spent at the Stax booth yesterday :).
Cheers,

Arnaud
Wow, super quick response Arnaud, well done.It does appear then we have at last a great sounding amp from Stax that will be exposed to the masses via dealers and at hifi shows and may indeed enlarge the 007 and 009 following. It seems quite obvious to many head-fiers that those HPs have more to offer, but maybe not obvious so those who don't frequent these forums. It has to equate to more sales I would think. Wonder if they can handle that?

So all good IMO, and to be honest I am surprised, I had almost given up on the idea. It also seems to indicate Stax is back on new dev which is also great. We have the new 011 looming?

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #43 of 247
diy T2 as the original has a tube front end and a tube output stage. And lots and lots of semiconductors in between them. es1,es2,aristaeus,ges,wes,he90 are all 100% tubes. Megatron is 100% tubes with solid state current sources in the first 2 stages.

t8000 is tube front end, with solid state everything else

Yes, T2 is still an absolute king :D but those sands are...so hard to find :frowning2: . I don't think this new Stax amp can even put a ding into KG designs, if it does, it probably positively raise the prices up lol!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #44 of 247
My very high level thoughts of the SRM-T8000 was that it made the SR-009 sounded closer to the SR-007Mk1 (take that with 3 grains of salt). The bass was fuller, the trebles were hair trimmed (good for those who think SR-009s are bright).

I asked Shimizu-san (Sales member who could speak English) if the SRM-T8000 is targeted for SR-009 users and although it was designed that way, it's still meant to be a Stax headphone agnostic amp. It was a pity I didn't bring my SR-007Mk1 along to listen against it.

May 1, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #45 of 247
Based on this video: youtu.be/vKXg_7vVPtM?t=954
sO1PKm3.jpg

Tube is Electro Harmonix 6922 Gold pin me thinks
6922-gold.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back