FUGAZI
Mar 22, 2004 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vedder323

500+ Head-Fier
just picked up the "Instrument" dvd... my face has been melted off! You guys really need to check out some albums from this band or buy this DVD. PLEASE!

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 10
I have a couple of albums from them, but didn't even had the time to listen to them.
I got a hold of them because I thought they were some kind of hardcore, but they sound to me just like indie rock or so.... and I only listen to that kind of music once in a while....
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Thrasher
I have a couple of albums from them, but didn't even had the time to listen to them.
I got a hold of them because I thought they were some kind of hardcore, but they sound to me just like indie rock or so.... and I only listen to that kind of music once in a while....
tongue.gif

I guess it all depends on what you consider "hardcore" is...

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 10
Alas, hardcore is not now what it was in the late 80s.

If you find yourself enjoying fugazi a lot and want more, I recomend checking out the three bands Guy Piccioto was in before Fugazi. Namely, Rites of Spring, One Last Wish, and Happy Go Licky. Of the three, Happy Go Licky is the most experemental and comes the closest to the fugazi sound (some of the songs are noticably similar to later fugazi songs). Rites of Spring is often sited as starting the whole 'emo' thing (though this band sounds nothing like the Get Up Kids, Jimmy, etc...). Anyway, I like Fugazi, and I really like these three releases too.

Mar 23, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 10
another great band in a similar vein (lyrically and musically)were/are the canadians

no means no

anyone liking fugazi has to have their albums as well... start with 'wrong' or 'small parts isolated and destroyed'.

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 10
I second the NoMeansNo reccomendation, although I disagree that they sound like Fugazi. To my ear nomeansno has a more jazzy, funky sound, maybe a bit more playful than Fugazi. Wrong is a great album, and at some point i'll probably pick up "why do they call me mr. happy?" per all music guide's reccomendation.

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I was listening to Repeater last night, a great album it is indeed, I especially like the title track.

I remember listening to it on the Radio when it was 1st released, like 13? 14? years ago, we had a great college radio station, it's gone now
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
I second the NoMeansNo reccomendation, although I disagree that they sound like Fugazi. To my ear nomeansno has a more jazzy, funky sound, maybe a bit more playful than Fugazi. Wrong is a great album, and at some point i'll probably pick up "why do they call me mr. happy?" per all music guide's reccomendation.

your comparison is more accurate than mine...
nomeansno are definitely more playful, less strident, but just as disciplined and dedicated. the musical similarities apply more to later fugazi, when they tended a little towards jazz/funk themselves (more pronounced bass and percussion, less guitar).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back