Fubar III
Aug 14, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 25
I love my Firestone Audio Fubar II, and use it almost every night, between my laptop and one of the inputs on my Ray Samuels Audio Raptor (the other inputs are occupied by my CD player/DAC). At its price (and the fact that it allows opamp rolling), it's one of the best deals in Head-Fi'dom. As for the Fubar III, I'm not familiar with it--can one opamp roll both the amp and DAC sections in it?

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Firestone Audio Fubar II, and use it almost every night, between my laptop and one of the inputs on my Ray Samuels Audio Raptor (the other inputs are occupied by my CD player/DAC). At its price (and the fact that it allows opamp rolling), it's one of the best deals in Head-Fi'dom. As for the Fubar III, I'm not familiar with it--can one opamp roll both the amp and DAC sections in it?

It appears that you can.

Here is the product.

http://firestone-audio.com/cgi-bin/p...sp?pdtseqnm=14

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #18 of 25
actuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....

looking at the very tiny pic in the site...it looks like theres seperate opamps for the DAC and the amp....so the opamp rolling will either effect the amp only or the dac only.

whoever gets the Fubar III pls pls pls post up nice shots of the internals
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking at the very tiny pic in the site...it looks like theres seperate opamps for the DAC and the amp....so the opamp rolling will either effect the amp only or the dac only.

whoever gets the Fubar III pls pls pls post up nice shots of the internals
biggrin.gif

If both sections of the unit have separate op-amps, you should be able to tweak each section accordingly.. bright dac, neutral amp etc. vis versa. I'll ask the creator to clear this up.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 25
Someone in another thread said the Fubar II wasn't really that great. What are your opnions? Im really trying to get a pretty decent computer setup. I just need something inbetween my laptop and 325i

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone in another thread said the Fubar II wasn't really that great. What are your opnions? Im really trying to get a pretty decent computer setup. I just need something inbetween my laptop and 325i

Here is a firestone products thread. Judge for yourself.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230704

For the price, you cannot get much better. Unless you're already into DIY.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #22 of 25
I love mine. Going from an (admittedly crap) Audigy 2 to the Fubar II was one of the biggest jumps in sound quality I've had so far. It's also very nicely built, and easily upgradeable with socketed opamps. Works 100% in Windows Vista. Probably the best value piece of gear I've bought so far.

Firestone also have the best customer service I've experienced from any company.

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #23 of 25
The FBIII arrived today. Here are my initial thought:

1. Un-packed (nice packaging by the way for a $200 product!) plugged into G5 mac. Selected new audio out selection in sound system prefs. Fired up itunes. Pressed play. Plugged in AKG K 240.
2. Listened for about 2 minutes. Not too shabby! Bags of detail but a bit anemic sounding.
3. Pictures and further impressions to follow after at least 24 hour burn in. I will also try this unit with Ultasone 7500 and UE Super.fi Pro 5

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 25
A brief update. After 48 hours of burn in I'm not that impressed. The treble in particular is quite hard/harsh and makes for quite an unpleasant listen. Compared to my AE-2 it really isn't a contest. I will leave the Fubar to burn in for another week and then compare again.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #25 of 25
@balkanboris

u need to get 2107 opamps and replace the amp's opamps. should help. ive always thought the Cute Battery II amp to be sharp. and at times harsh/ bright.

the 2107 opamps helped alot with this in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back