FS Forum: can we keep it discreet?
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm not usually one to say something, but in the recent months that I've been window shopping on the FS forums, I've noticed that more and more users are posting offers and the like directly in the thread. I don't know what attitude the mods have taken to this, but I think it makes each FS/ IC into more of an auction-style deal, and I'm not sure if this is in the better interests of the sellers. I've been here for a while and PM communication didn't make the head-fi infrastructure fail, so why change a good thing?

I'm just posting it here because it makes the FS forum a little less classy only imo, and at a certain level it's only a personal complaint. If anyone has a better case as to otherwise, I'm all ears...

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 10
I always thought the buyer should have the option of posting or PMing. It is after all his bid...and if he wants to discourage others with a high bid this would certainly do it. IT may also help the seller if he is willing to take a bid and someone says "hey I don't need those cans but at that price I'd pay an extra $100 for them".

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 10
When I encounter FS threads like these, I simply move on regardless how much I want the item. I refuse to get into a bidding war. If other folks are comfortable buying and selling this way, then good for them. Personally, I don't see any problem with it...certainly not one that warrants a change or involvement from the moderators.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing that bothers me is when someone post "you know these sell for xx dollars new". If the price seems unreasonable to you, move along, no comments needed.

Have to agree with this. If I recall correctly this very activity is prohibited. I have sent a pm or two to sellers letting them know what and where an item can be purchased for elsewhere, but it was done privately and entirely up to the seller what they wanted to do with the information. In my case it was done for information only, not for negotiation.

Otherwise, I have no problems if a buyer wishes to post his/her bid publicly. However, if a bid is sent privately then it shouldn't be made public without the approval of the bidder.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hate ICs or FS w/o a price.

x2! If a seller doesn't want an auction actually posting a price would go a long way to discouraging that. When a person asks for offers, they are asking for an auction. They might not have intended it but that's how an auction works. Whether the auction is public or vie PM makes no difference to me. No listed price, I move on.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 10
I think the sticky This Is Not A Discussion Forum threads are clear enough.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Please stop with the in-thread discussions in the Gear For Sale / Trade forum. Any discussions within sale/trade threads should be related directly to the transaction, and nothing more or less.

If you're not interested in buying or trading the item(s) in the thread, then don't post. If you're wondering whether or not you should post a comment or opinion in a sale/trade thread, you probably should not. If you want to know why a person is selling something, PM (private message) or e-mail them. If you think a sale is crooked or smells funny, report it. If you think something is overpriced, do not buy it--but, also, do not post to say so in the thread either.

Thanks.

-- Jude --

Take it to PM / email or more on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back