from the Mac to a non USB DAC
Mar 16, 2006 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

giovanni

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like some help.

I want to get a DAC to go between my Mac and my amp (MPX3).

I realize, as I do some minimal research on dacs, that I'd rather not limit myself to USB models even though these would be the easiest and most practical path (and possibly better). Problem is that my Mac does not have any digital out so my question is, what is the best way to get digital out of my Mac to feed a dac other than USB ?

I know many here mention the A/X but this option to me sounds pretty bad, so are there soundcards for the mac that would achieve what I need ? Any other idea ?

thx

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 15
but hey, that is a $600 card !

May be I should have been a bit more precise. I was hoping to get some seriously cheap card. Since I am going to get a DAC all I need is a card that gives me the digital out (just like the airport express would do, for $129).

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 15
What's wrong with the APX? It works perfectly and it provides flexibility since your computer doesn't have to be beside your DAC

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 15
nothing wrong with the A/X in this context where I would use it hard wired (not wirelessly), and this is the way I will go unless I find something different, ie, and internal sound card, which I would prefer.

The reason that I simply would prefer an internal audio card is because it would be a "cleaner" set-up and just one cable. With the A/X, it is another object laying around, which needs an electrical outlet, and an additional cable, adding to the mess. That was all. And I would have no use of its wireless functionality.

Anyhow, I have to correct you on the A/X working perfectly. There are indeed problems with A/X when used to stream music wirelessly. I have one that I use to stream from my Mac to my stereo system and the connection is not reliable (I have had it since it was introduced, and I have used Macs forever so believe me, I have tried it all). And forget using a microwave while streaming !!! It depends a lot on where you are. In my building for example I know of people who have never managed to get it to work decently and had to give up on it entirely.

gio

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 15
Get an M-Audio Transit and use the optical out on that. That's what I did, for $50 can't go wrong. Just don't use M-Audio's drivers, they're buggy as hell. Install the firmware loader only.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 15
you can run the airport express wired...via ethernet...

if you have a current mac, the headphone/speaker out is also optical out.

Otherwise, I'd get a firewire soundcard like the firewire audiophile

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by davei
Get an M-Audio Transit and use the optical out on that. That's what I did, for $50 can't go wrong. Just don't use M-Audio's drivers, they're buggy as hell. Install the firmware loader only.

here it is, that is the option I wanted to have - Thx man !
Even though I can't see one for less than pretty much $80.
Is this the Transit USB your are referring to ?

gio

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I see, you don't want a USB DAC, but a USB to optical interface for the Mac to DAC connection.

The Edirol UA-1EX is an alternative to the M-Audio Transit or Audiophile.
http://www.edirol.net/products/en/UA-1EX/

I guess, or more simply,a PCI sound card with optical out. A USB to optical interface Mac-->DAC would be one way to go about it (that is what the Transit would be I guess..)

As to USB dacs, I am not impressed with the ones I read about.

I will check the Edirol.

Thx,
gio

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by giovanni
here it is, that is the option I wanted to have - Thx man !
Even though I can't see one for less than pretty much $80.
Is this the Transit USB your are referring to ?

gio

Yup, the Transit USB. I actually got mine on sale but you can get them used for ~$50. Although if you're going to spend $80 the Edirol looks like a better deal. Edirol's drivers are usually better supported as well (M-Audio is USELESS for driver support).

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 15
guys,
would the M-Audio audiophile 2496 PCI just be another way of doing it ? Someone is selling it here.

Can you imagine the sound being impacted over digital as a function of where it is coming from (ie, a PCI card or a USB converter like the Edirol or Transit) ?

gio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back