From Sennheiser HD 650 to HiFiMAN HE-400i... there's no way back!
Mar 23, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #62 of 74
I've been listening to both of these headphones for a year or so now, and I usually default back to the HD650.

Same here, its my go to. But the headphone can be a little boring with rock/metal. My hd700 can be too harsh/revealing with the majority of my library.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #67 of 74
These two HPs seem to be very polarizing! I recently joined the HD6XX drop. Don't have a clue if I'm going to love them or hate them lol...

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #69 of 74
I like both of them, the point is that they are not similar at all.
I actually had the 400i for a few days. Got them new on the recent ebay deal for $120. The cable had a short so I returned them for a refund. Thought they were good but not great. Would have kept them if they would have blown me away. I'm expecting the HD6XXs to be more of an acquired taste over time rather than an over night sensation

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #70 of 74
I actually had the 400i for a few days. Got them new on the recent ebay deal for $120. The cable had a short so I returned them for a refund. Thought they were good but not great. Would have kept them if they would have blown me away. I'm expecting the HD6XXs to be more of an acquired taste over time rather than an over night sensation
650 has incredible potential.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #72 of 74
1CC185DF-48A7-43DC-9C46-E8EDFF707C6E.jpeg
YES THEY ARE!!!
Hearing is subjective so we will all have different conclusions. These are some obvious differences that stand out to me.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #73 of 74
I’ve been thinking of getting a pair of HD 6XX for a long time. I’ve been rocking a pair of HE-400i’s with my Vali 2 for 2.5 years now. The 400i’s have been great for my tastes in classic rocknroll, blues, old country, metal and other guitar driven music. The only thing gets me sometimes with them, and it’s only on certain recordings, is sibilance. Can Anyone whose owned or spent time with both of these cans tell me if that will be less of an issue with the HD 6XX’s? For example, I love Thin Lizzy but the sibilance from Phil Lynott’s vocals are a killer on my ears on the 400i’s. Also are the HD 6XX’s practically the same as the HD 650s?

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #74 of 74
I’ve been thinking of getting a pair of HD 6XX for a long time. I’ve been rocking a pair of HE-400i’s with my Vali 2 for 2.5 years now. The 400i’s have been great for my tastes in classic rocknroll, blues, old country, metal and other guitar driven music. The only thing gets me sometimes with them, and it’s only on certain recordings, is sibilance. Can Anyone whose owned or spent time with both of these cans tell me if that will be less of an issue with the HD 6XX’s? For example, I love Thin Lizzy but the sibilance from Phil Lynott’s vocals are a killer on my ears on the 400i’s. Also are the HD 6XX’s practically the same as the HD 650s?
output.png

Here's a graph of the two. Slightly less bass it seems. I have the original HD650's and owned the HE4xx for a little while, but sold them because of the sibilance/kinda unnatural sounding treble. I don't really miss those cans besides the fast bass & how nice they reproduced some guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back