From Sennheiser HD 650 to HiFiMAN HE-400i... there's no way back!
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #46 of 74
I listen to both hd650 and he400i almost daily. I like and enjoy them both. 650 has a warm, relaxed sound whereas 400i has a neutral, forward sound. They complement each other well.

Thinking about getting these on a group buy site, they're only $169... I love my HD650 and HD700, but they are almost opposites; the HD700 has much better instrument separation & accurate bass but a peak at ~4k which can make the treble sometimes sound strange and tiresome. The HD650 sometimes doesn't have enough separation and can sound sluggish when listening to more complex music. Would you think I would like the HE400 as an inbetween?

I don't like; nearly all the beyers; treble is too harsh for me, Shure 1540 (treble issues for me), Audeze EL-8 (so dark and strange sounding honestly, it sounded unnatural)
Alright: Oppo PM-3, V-Moda M100 (for bass heavy music only), AKG Q701
I LOVE: HD800 (althought bright, the soundstage and tonality is amazing), LCD-2, NAD VISO HP50 (these are one of my favorite closed dynamic cans I've probably tried, but the headband was painful), V-Moda XS, AKG K240, ATH-M50, the only reason I don't go for the LCD-2's is because I can't quite afford it and would rather buy nice speakers at $800.

Dec 11, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #47 of 74
Thinking about getting these on a group buy site, they're only $169... I love my HD650 and HD700, but they are almost opposites; the HD700 has much better instrument separation & accurate bass but a peak at ~4k which can make the treble sometimes sound strange and tiresome. The HD650 sometimes doesn't have enough separation and can sound sluggish when listening to more complex music. Would you think I would like the HE400 as an inbetween?

I don't like; nearly all the beyers; treble is too harsh for me, Shure 1540 (treble issues for me), Audeze EL-8 (so dark and strange sounding honestly, it sounded unnatural)
Alright: Oppo PM-3, V-Moda M100 (for bass heavy music only), AKG Q701
I LOVE: HD800 (althought bright, the soundstage and tonality is amazing), LCD-2, NAD VISO HP50 (these are one of my favorite closed dynamic cans I've probably tried, but the headband was painful), V-Moda XS, AKG K240, ATH-M50, the only reason I don't go for the LCD-2's is because I can't quite afford it and would rather buy nice speakers at $800.
Yesss @170 the HE400i (not the he400s) is a steal. I haven’t listened to the HD700 but the 400i has a very neutral sound, more treble than hd650 and slightly less bass. The bass is cleaner, more accurate and deeper. Overall its less organic sounding than senns - I prefer it over 650 for metal, electronic etc. Mids are clean and slightly more forward than 650. Treble is sparkly. They scale less with amp power but more with dac resolution compared to 650. As far as separation the spatial separation is at par with 650 but temporal separation is better (its much faster).

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #49 of 74
Yesss @170 the HE400i (not the he400s) is a steal. I haven’t listened to the HD700 but the 400i has a very neutral sound, more treble than hd650 and slightly less bass. The bass is cleaner, more accurate and deeper. Overall its less organic sounding than senns - I prefer it over 650 for metal, electronic etc. Mids are clean and slightly more forward than 650. Treble is sparkly. They scale less with amp power but more with dac resolution compared to 650. As far as separation the spatial separation is at par with 650 but temporal separation is better (its much faster).

How would you say the LCD-2 compares to the 400i? My end game is an LCD-2 but on the way there I'm curious how the 400i sounds- especially for under $200.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #50 of 74
How would you say the LCD-2 compares to the 400i? My end game is an LCD-2 but on the way there I'm curious how the 400i sounds- especially for under $200.
LCD2C sounds more high end for sure - more refined sound and possibly more resolving as well.
The notes are thicker, juicier on audeze; 400i sounds light in comparison (also lighter on head :) ). Both are equally fast; its impressive how LCD2C with its heavy tonality keeps up with the 400i - makes for an impressive slam.
LCD 2C has better bass in every way - quantity, extension , texture. Mids are richer, lusher and closer on LCD. Treble is more in quantity and possibly extension on 400i but it is a bit uneven in comparison.
Soundstage is about same, audeze feels intimate because of its tonality. Imaging is better on LCD 2C.
The things going for 400i - more portable, easier to drive, closer to neutral (audeze is colored in an obvious manner toward musicality), airier.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #51 of 74
LCD2C sounds more high end for sure - more refined sound and possibly more resolving as well.
The notes are thicker, juicier on audeze; 400i sounds light in comparison (also lighter on head :) ). Both are equally fast; its impressive how LCD2C with its heavy tonality keeps up with the 400i - makes for an impressive slam.
LCD 2C has better bass in every way - quantity, extension , texture. Mids are richer, lusher and closer on LCD. Treble is more in quantity and possibly extension on 400i but it is a bit uneven in comparison.
Soundstage is about same, audeze feels intimate because of its tonality. Imaging is better on LCD 2C.
The things going for 400i - more portable, easier to drive, closer to neutral (audeze is colored in an obvious manner toward musicality), airier.

In terms of bass- how would you say quantity and quality vs the 650? And treble- is it harsh compared to the 650? I'm a bit worried about sibilance/brightnesss- I hate DT770s.

And just a bonus question: out of your headphones, which one gets the most love?

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #52 of 74
In terms of bass- how would you say quantity and quality
LCD 2C bass is better than 650 bass IMO. It has a fast textured characteristic. It is more present and goes deeper. You don’t have to strain to hear each individual bass note.
Treble is smooth, maybe a touch recessed- i have yet to hear any sibilance.
LCD 2C is very different from DT770 - that one is V shaped with bigger bass than LCD2C, about the same depth but slower and less resolved. It does have lot of treble too - way more than Audeze. Mids are recessed. 770 is my personal basshead can.
My favorite among my collection is HD800S of course. Very fussy headphone but incredible potential. I can only listen to it from my Hugo 2 or Hugo 2/BHA1 combo with 16x44 or higher music files. Once figured out properly 800S listening is a blissful experience.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #53 of 74
LCD 2C bass is better than 650 bass IMO. It has a fast textured characteristic. It is more present and goes deeper. You don’t have to strain to hear each individual bass note.
Treble is smooth, maybe a touch recessed- i have yet to hear any sibilance.
LCD 2C is very different from DT770 - that one is V shaped with bigger bass than LCD2C, about the same depth but slower and less resolved. It does have lot of treble too - way more than Audeze. Mids are recessed. 770 is my personal basshead can.
My favorite among my collection is HD800S of course. Very fussy headphone but incredible potential. I can only listen to it from my Hugo 2 or Hugo 2/BHA1 combo with 16x44 or higher music files. Once figured out properly 800S listening is a blissful experience.

Also forgot to add 400i vs HD650. Would you say the 400i's treble is more than the DT770? Does the 400i get fatiguing? Is there sibilance on a lot of tracks with the 400i?

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #55 of 74
Where can I buy the 400i For 170?
not exactly the 400i but very close to it, he4xx off massdrop when they have it active.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #56 of 74
Also forgot to add 400i vs HD650. Would you say the 400i's treble is more than the DT770? Does the 400i get fatiguing? Is there sibilance on a lot of tracks with the 400i?
Both about equal performers.
400i is clear, neutral and fast. It is fully driven by portable devices. I prefer it with my mojo than more powerful amps.
650 is warm, relaxed and organic. It sounds very euphonic out my jotunheim balanced...the combo gives a stoned feeling almost lol. Still they are super resolving if you critically assess them.
400i treble is sparkly never sibilant. It has an unevenness on certain tracks though, a certain raspiness or roughness. Its not fatiguing at all. The treble is less in quantity than dt770, and mids are present unlike dt770.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #57 of 74
And treble- is it harsh compared to the 650? I'm a bit worried about sibilance/brightnesss

Both about equal performers.
400i is clear, neutral and fast...
400i treble is sparkly never sibilant. It has an unevenness on certain tracks though, a certain raspiness or roughness. Its not fatiguing at all. The treble is less in quantity than dt770, and mids are present unlike dt770.
I sold my 400i partly because of sibilence issues, which could get bad with some vocals. Definitely more prone to sibilence than the HD650. The thing about the 400i is that it has too much treble energy in the vocal range but in general lacks treble energy so it can sound a little dull compared to other headphones like the 560. I first noticed how dull it sounded in the treble after listening to the Scarlet, a Grado clone with Nhoord drivers. After That comparison, I couldn't get over how lacking in treble energy the 400i were. That said, the 400i does have a euphoric quality that makes it very enjoyable as long as the sibilence doesn't ruin it.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #58 of 74
I sold my 400i partly because of sibilence issues, which could get bad with some vocals. Definitely more prone to sibilence than the HD650. The thing about the 400i is that it has too much treble energy in the vocal range but in general lacks treble energy so it can sound a little dull compared to other headphones like the 560. I first noticed how dull it sounded in the treble after listening to the Scarlet, a Grado clone with Nhoord drivers. After That comparison, I couldn't get over how lacking in treble energy the 400i were. That said, the 400i does have a euphoric quality that makes it very enjoyable as long as the sibilence doesn't ruin it.

Do you have any song names/albums by any chance that caused that?

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #59 of 74
Both superb headphones and both great all-rounders. I personally wouldn't say one is better than the other unless you are breaking down elements. I like the more subdued mid treb of the Senns more than the more "uneven" treble of the hifiman's but this is a nitpick. The depth, surprisingly is better on the hifimans and this is surprising as planars in general don't beat dynamics in this regard. But looking at the bigger picture, or whole sound as it were; the HD650's just have nothing that stands out to complain about (both have bass hump - but its nice :) )

Again, neither is better objectively - however, I would keep the HD650 over the HE400i if push came to shove. But I love them both. (mostly listen to classical)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back