From Sennheiser HD 650 to HiFiMAN HE-400i... there's no way back!
Apr 18, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #16 of 74
I think I have to listen again EVERYTHING with this marvellous headphone

Now in a more "bluesy" mood, listening to Lightnin' Hopkins with Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee and their Blues Hoot. The spoken introduction is so lively it makes you think you're right there in 1961, at the Ash Grove in LA. 

But when the music begins with the Big Car Blues tune, you can't stop moving your legs. Big, big PRAT 

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 74
After a weekend of intense musical listening with the new HiFiMAN HE-400i and the iFi iDSD micro, I can only say that I'm overwhelmed by the extraordinary match they make, and I don't mind admitting that in general I prefer this amp/dac over the Burson Conductor, that offer a surprising plus of transparency and detail, but I'm more into the warm side of the iFi iDSD micro.

I don't know where I'll end. Once I said "I'm done" but I'm loving the process of discovering new equipment and adapting it to your tastes and I'm not done by any means. I'm considering selling the Burson Conductor, and if after some weeks I find myself listening only to the iFi iDSD micro, I'll sell it for sure.

Right now the HiFiMAN HE-400i and the iFi iDSD micro are the core of my musical system, and I'm amazed that this is a truly portable combo that can be moved from one place to another, you can even use it without an electrical plug around. I'm looking for a semi-rigid case for transporting both and any suggestions will be appreciated.

I've ordered from Cables Hamlet a new 1,5m Lysander cable with a Neutrik 1/4" connector so I can avoid the use of the adaptor. The stock cable isn't bad, but I've found it a bit rigid and the new cable will be finished in an ultrasmooth textil covering, the same I used with my Sennheiser HD 650. I'll use the stock cable with the FiiO X3 or the iPhone 5S, but usually I'll be driving the HE-400i with the iFi iDSD micro.

Out of my usual Jazz, this weekend I've listened to Beth Hart and Elliot Murphy and both sounded great with this combo.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0Qikkvys4e8Sa0Tvy6rA6t

https://open.spotify.com/album/2ZDWth88tjOpxUiGsWIhzs

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #18 of 74
One more weekend with the iFi iDSD micro and theHE-400i combo, and still in love with it. I can only talk about musicality, and they both really excel representing a true, lifelike musical experience.

I'm using the iMac as a source, playing FLAC files with Audirvana Plus 1.5.12, an exquisite combination.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1duxmQ63oQ5SYMXvOekw4X

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 74
Hi there!

Ok, you're still with me, thank you^^:

Mind if I hijack your thread just a little? I'm interested in this exact combination of dac/amp and headphones.
Thus I am very glad I've found someone who also thought this to be a good match!

So I have two issues I'd really like to hear your (OP and all the other competent people here) opinions on:
    - Do these cans suit my favoured genres of music?
     - Is it TOO big a step up from my current setup?

My music:
As I understand you listen mostly to Jazz. And unfortunately that's one of the few genres I don't really liste to, so I'm
not sure how your described impressions would transfer to my music. Here are some songs for you to get an idea of
what I'd be listening to:

Uppermost - Imagine Reality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bA0wVi7eU

Madeline Juno - Like Lovers Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78q26O1MHWc

Pendulum - The Island Pt. I (Dawn)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hszZmFRPqx8

Martin Tungevaag - Wicked Wonderland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtI2xqg75E

Nightwish - I Want My Tears Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGyduQBh7M

Astronaut - Quantum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TE-x8XSlDc

Toto - Great Expectations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaqaZOXGncM

I guess you won't necessarily like these songs (as they are something completely different from jazz and blues),
but I got the impression that you'd be able to judge the headphones from a professinal and technical/analytical
point of view.

So, as I unfortunately won't have the chance to listen to the Hifiman before ordering it, my questions are:
how would you say do the headphones suit these different genres and styles? How do they work with the different characteristics
of these songs? Do they reveal any weaknesses which wouldn't be a problem for Jazz music and the like but in this case
might really be disturbing?

My setup:
consists of an AKG K601, fired by an ASUS XONAR ESSECE ST, which itself feeds mostly on
CD rips (flac, 44/16). I had this particular setup for more than 4 years now and I do like it, but there's
a growing lust for more.
And that's where I'm not completely comfortable with my idea. Considering my current setup was in the range of about
300€ and the iDSD micro + HE-400i would set me back 1000€, I fear I might be taking a biiiig leap there.

New dac/amp:
My main goal is to improve the whole experience of my listening sessions.
I know that the headphones would be the more relevant factor for this and in the iDSD/HE-400i setup the
costs are 50% for the dac/amp and 50% for the headphones. This might look like a imbalance,
but I'd consider the iDSD a really long term investment. Also the portability compared to my soundcard
would really be a plus for my current lifestyle. Furthermore I just love the engineering of this gem.
So I'll pretty sure end up buying this device anyways.

Now to the headphones:
I think buying only a new dac/amp won't give too much of an upgrade for my akgs,
so there's definitely a need for new headphones. And from all I've read and actually listened to I
first thought about the HD650. These would be considered the next step up the ladder from my current
headphones (that's the impession I got here on the forums) and retail for about 300€ here.

And that made me feel a little uncomfortable... spending more on the dac/amp than on the actual headphones?
Doesn't sound right...

OP described the HE-400i as a HD650 only better, if I may draw this conclusion. The Hifiman is 600€ here,
I could get it for 500€ from a neighbouring country with less greedy importers. Still, it's quite a substantial monetary
difference between the Sennheiser and the Hifiman.

This keeps me guessing if I'm capable to get an adequate difference in my listening experience...
On the other hand I really don't want to save in the wrong place and let that (albeit perhaps
only felt) regret spoil my mood.

These are my thoughts, I can't really compress that issue into a simple question... But please
feel free to give any input!!!

Thanks for all your answers is advance,
Broke

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #20 of 74
Great review and I am seriously considering both the HE-400i and the Burson Soloist SL.  Would you mind telling me exactly how you use the Soloist with an iMac as, far as I can see, the Soloist only has RCA inputs so I am just curious what cable I would need to connect the two components up?

Then I may just push the button.....

Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #21 of 74
Hi guys! 

I just wanted to say.. I was debating between getting myself a pair of HD650 and the HE400i... well, this thread pushed me over the edge 
biggrin.gif

I hope I'll enjoy them as much as you did, can't wait to hear the difference! 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #22 of 74
I'm glad you enjoy the 400i that much. I am about to make the transition in the opposite way from the 400i to the 650. The upper mid/treble peaks on the 400i were just way too uncomfortable for me to handle, so it definitely goes to show that people have different preferences/ears.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 74
From Sennheiser HD 650 to HiFiMAN HE-400i... there's no way back!

[COLOR=A52A2A]First of all, I would like to thank[/COLOR] Headphoniaks - [COLOR=800000]one of the HiFiMAN dealers in Spain - that gave me the chance to test drive the new HE-400i headphones from the chinese manufacturer.[/COLOR]

This little review is written from the point of view of a serious Sennheiser HD 650 lover. These great dynamic headphones have been my trusted companion for years, with its lush and relaxed sound, rounded with even greater mids and an intimate scene. With the new HE-400i from HiFiMAN I've found the step ahead I was waiting for and I would like to share my thoughts with you.

Background

I've listened the Sennheiser HD 650 with many different DAC and amp combination, from Musical Fidelity to Lehmann until Burson came to my preference. The heart of my main rig is a Burson Conductor with the exquisite ESS SABRE32 9018 DAC, and a I also have a secondary setup with a Burson Soloist SL and a CEntrance DACport LX that Iím changing in favor of the more compact and versatile iFi iDSD micro.

Many times Iíve tried to find an alternative to the HD 650's, but until now I haven't found a headphone that unify comfort, quality of sound and moderate pricing. I've tried Sennheiser HD 800 and found their soundstage excesive, Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2 were much better but very heavy and the HiFiMAN HE-500 was too open and bright for my ears.

None of them gave me the intimacy required for my listening tastes. I'm a Jazz lover and I mostly listen to Jazz music, and Jazz recordings are not always well recorded, so some kind of forgiveness is a requirement, and none of the above mentioned headphones comply to this - at least for me - fundamental characteristic.

I won't discard a record, but I'll discard a headphone instead. This is my mantra.

Music and technology, together... but music first!

I consider myself more a music lover than an audio gear fan, but I cannot say I'm not a bit fascinated about the audiophile world. Each year new products appear in the market, and even though most of them cannot be considered breakthroughs and are just simple updates from previous models, there are exceptions and brilliant products, technologies, and applied technologies too.

And to really get a kick out of you, a new pair of headphones with a different technology can be the easiest way to find something really new, something that can surprise you. Planar-magnetic technology is such a kind of technology, mature enough to trust it and with a very rich sound that can present the instruments as they actually sound.

Good looking is desirable, but superb comfort is mandatory  

Before you listen to a new pair of headphones, there are two simple tests it must pass: it should look nice and it must be comfortable. You can have a bit of tolerance for the first one if it sounds really good, but I won't accept the best sounding headphone if it fits bad in my head or if it's too heavy. A perfect headphone must become unnoticed and you just simply forget you're wearing them. And if they look good, you will pick up them everyday with much more satisfaction.

This happens to me with the Sennheiser HD 650 and it happened again with the HE-400i. HE-400i are really lightweight, they cover my medium-to-large sized ears perfectly and I can move around without a problem. The generous headband and it's suspension system make them ultra-comfortable. And they look great. They are not superb in terms of build quality but they don't look like a cheap chinese product. Plastics could be better and the metal sheet of the suspension system could be better too, but both are correct. Packaging is close to superb and you get the looks of a premium product.

HE-400i are even better in terms of comfort than the Sennheiser HD-650. Outstanding comfort.

And HE-400i delivers pure music, straight to your heart

When I hook up a new pair of headphones it's uncommon to get something new. I mean, really new. And that's what happened to me after listening the HE-400i for the first time, I got a very satisfying first impression in almost every characteristic, from comfort to sound quality. It seems silly saying that you fell in love with a pair of headphones but, well, actually this happened to me. I'll try to explain myself why.

Compared to the Sennheiser HD 650, the sound is a great step forward in terms of everything, but a moderate step. They have more of everything, but they keep my intimacy with the musical scene, now way wider than before. When I listen to a Jazz quartet in a small Jazz club, it doesn't make sense if sound is presented like in an auditorium as it happens with other cans. With the HE-400i you're still in the small club, but instead of being just in front of the performer, you are sitting a few rows back. And with this wider soundstage you appreciate better the instruments positions and the dialogs between performers. And this is perfect for the kind of music I listen to.

Trying to describe the HE-400i sound

Scene size is remarkable for Jazz music, but what surprised me most is the air between instruments and I suppose this is the breakthrough of planar-magnetic technology used in the drivers. At the very beggining you need to get accustomed to it and you feel this is air excesive, but soon you realize that it only adds realism to the scene described before, music notes flow wonderfully in a space not too deep, not too wide, as I like it.

Another remarkable characteristic is the timbre of the instruments, making them so alive and real that you can close your eyes and feel they're actually there with you. String instruments as guitars and violins are spectacular, but I would say that the piano is simply superb as I consider it an instrument of very difficult reproduction. I felt wind instruments a bit metallic but I'm quite sure this will change soon as I'm too used to the HD 650s dark sound profile.

Listening Coltrane deep blowing entry in Stairway to the Stars (Bags & Trane, with Milt Jackson and John Coltrane) literally blow me away and I started a post selling the Burson Soloist SL, the DACport LX and my beloved Sennheiser HD 650. It was having Coltrane in front of me, and I was shocked.

One of the biggest selling points of the HD 650s are the medium frequencies, and here the HE-400i have something to say too. HE-400i position them a bit more recessed, but they are extremely realistic and convincing, with a lovely sense of intimacy with the performer as if you were seeing the full body and not only his or her face.

With a headphone like this, listening to reference quality recordings is a delicacy, but it works well with legacy recordings not so well recorded. HE-400i are not so forgiving with them, but they let you enjoy them with enthusiasm. Remembering Billie Holiday listening to her Body & Soul performance from the album Body & Soul in its Ultradisc MFSL (UDCD 658) edition made me cry, though I'm really easy emotionally and if some notes hit my soul, my eyes get wet really fast. It's the price for music loving.

Bass is good enough, but far from being bloated, or excesively present. People looking for deep bass will find depth, but not boom-boom. The dialogs in Jazz trios between bass, drums and piano they appear in its right measure, and if you choose a performance with bass solos you will be delighted. Listening to Paul Chamber's Bass on Top or the more recent Beyond Double Bass from Renaud GarcÌa-Fons are just a joy.

Highs are remarkable. Having listened to the HE-500, I expected them much more brilliant but instead I got a very moderate and warm highs, far from being excesive. HE-400i excel with drums, and I now listen to cymbals in passages that before are . I love listening to trios and I'm re-listening many of my favourite recordings now.

I must also remark how fast they are. Speed is desirable in Jazz music, but for rock and other fast paced music genres is a must have. Electric guitars and their fast transition shine with the HE-400i.

A few more comments and final thoughts

HE-400i headphones have a 3,5mm stereo jack and it's really useful due to their high sensitivity of 93 dB/mW and a low impedance of 35 ohms, so they are easy to use with portable players and they can even be powered by an iPhone or iPad, though they will sound much better from a quality amp. I've found they are extremely well driven by my FiiO X3 and they make a great combo. 

Compared to the Sennheiser HD 650, I must say that the HE-400i offer more of everything and I'm quite sure that people that love the HD 650 will love them as an upgrade keeping "the idea" of the Sennheiser sound but with a more wider and deeper scene, a more airy sound, more detailed, more realistic and remarkably comfortable. It's price tag of 499€ don't make them a cheap option, but I think they are worth every cent.

I still love HD 650s and fortunately I will keep one of the two units I own. I'm sure I will come back to them for some recordings that I find they are best suited for. 

i've listened to the HE-400i with my Burson Conductor and its DAC ESS SABRE32 9018, with the Burson Soloist SL and a DACport LX and also with the iFi iDSD micro. They go well with all of them, with the Burson making them sound more open and detailed and the iFi iDSD micro making their sound warmer, sure by the presence of the BurrBrown DAC.

I have the same setup the 400i mated to the soloist sl and thats a great combo.

I also have the 650 with a little dot mk IV se and with a tube amp i ll say the 650 scales much better and overall is a notch above the 400i in a few department.

The 400i is great no faults, but the 650 with some good amps, shines.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 74

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 74
Still Prefer the 650+LDmkIVse combo 

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #26 of 74
Great review and comparisons, but I still am confuse choosing between hd600, hd650, hd700 and he400i.
As I only have listened to hd650.
Any suggestions?
I listen mostly jazz and instrument, but it is not a rare occasions to listen to other genres.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #27 of 74
Great review and comparisons, but I still am confuse choosing between hd600, hd650, hd700 and he400i.
As I only have listened to hd650.
Any suggestions?
I listen mostly jazz and instrument, but it is not a rare occasions to listen to other genres.

600- every genre
700 - great highs and mids and planer bass almost - classical, pop
650 - 600 + lushness and a bit oomph,, classic rock and others
400i - same as 600 but planer, clearer

the dynamic 600,650 and the planer 400i has there own taste depends what you like

700 does both, i quite liked it , 

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 74
  Quote:

600- every genre
700 - great highs and mids and planer bass almost - classical, pop
650 - 600 + lushness and a bit oomph,, classic rock and others
400i - same as 600 but planer, clearer

the dynamic 600,650 and the planer 400i has there own taste depends what you like

700 does both, i quite liked it , 

well said, i personally lean towards hd700 (based on review, never test it yet), but there are so many bad impression on it(i know it is personal matter).
and i can't find a store that display hd700 to test around here.
and one more requirement, since im not always listen to high quality recording, i need a more forgivng one.
what do you think? with that price, better get hd700, or hd650 and add the rest of the money to amp budget, and get better amp?.
thanks for the help tho
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #29 of 74
    Quote:

well said, i personally lean towards hd700 (based on review, never test it yet), but there are so many bad impression on it(i know it is personal matter).
and i can't find a store that display hd700 to test around here.
and one more requirement, since im not always listen to high quality recording, i need a more forgivng one.
what do you think? with that price, better get hd700, or hd650 and add the rest of the money to amp budget, and get better amp?.
thanks for the help t

i will say try them , thats the best way try the planners too, 650,700,400i 

with the right setup i would get the 650s, with any setup ill get the 700s 

if i already have both i ll then get the 400i, but its close between the 400i and the 700, 650s are completely different.

and i only use 1 even if i have more, if you are such a guy too then take your time, listen to them first

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #30 of 74
I thought I would necropost since these are still two popular headphones, and I find myself making the opposite transition, or in my case from the 400i to the HD600. The reasons why briefly:

-I listen mostly to classical and jazz The 400i is a bit too smooth to portray string and brass instruments accurately IMO
-The treble is a bit too splashy for a wide range of instruments all to sound comfortable at moderately high volumes. The HD600 treble seems more controlled.
-The soundstage seems slightly better on the HD600 
-The overall sound seems a bit more realistic, despite losing a bit of definition in the bass and lower midrange. I love the 400i, and it is a more technically accomplished headphone in most areas, but it is just a little less realistic and coherent as a whole. If I didn't listen to classical, I would probably keep the 400i, but it has significant problems in that area. Also I want to try something new!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back