from radioshack for $50?
Sep 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zoggop

New Head-Fier
I recently sent back some Koss UR40s under radioshack warranty... and of course, they don't give you money back, they give you a gift card for the amount I bought the UR40s for. So... what (portable) headphone would you get from radioshack's online store for $50? After doing some reading, it seems like my best option is the Portapros. But if you have some other suggestions... I'm all ears.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 7

yukihiro

500+ Head-Fier
$50 for portapros seems a bit steep since you can get it for less if you shop around, but if it were me I'd give the portapros a try. I personally haven't heard them, but fwir they seem to be a pretty good contender in its price range. I also don't know how they compare to the UR40's. I'll leave that discussion to someone else.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 7

Scott_Tarlow

1000+ Head-Fier
I dont know which to suggest, but my gut feeling is that the Portapros are the coolest

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 7

zoggop

New Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$50 for portapros seems a bit steep since you can get it for less if you shop around

Welcome to Radioshack, where prices are steep and selection is crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also don't know how they compare to the UR40's. I'll leave that discussion to someone else.

As much as I like having full-size headphones, I just got tired of packing the bulky UR40s into small bags and having them break every 6 months (I've had three pairs).

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 7

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
PortaPros sound better than the UR40 and are easily foldable and pretty durable. They are definitely the safest bet there. If you like the sound of the UR40s (somewhat bright/sparkly) the KTXPro1 use the same drivers but are a lot smaller. You'd have about $20 left over on a RadioShack gift card though
frown.gif

The only other interesting headphones I see there are the Jvc Ha-S700. Heard good things about these and wouldn't mind getting a pair myself
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 7

zoggop

New Head-Fier
Yeah I was considering the HA-S700 because I travel occasionally on planes and busses, and it would be nice to not annoy the people next to me and be able to hear something over engine noise. But I couldn't really find anything more than vague impressions of the sound quality. Oh, and out of curiosity I'm looking them up again now, and I can't seem to find whether the "ear-cups" are circum-aural or supra-aural.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 7

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoggop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was considering the HA-S700 because I travel occasionally on planes and busses, and it would be nice to not annoy the people next to me and be able to hear something over engine noise. But I couldn't really find anything more than vague impressions of the sound quality. Oh, and out of curiosity I'm looking them up again now, and I can't seem to find whether the "ear-cups" are circum-aural or supra-aural.

The S700 are circumaural (and the S900 are supraaural).

Users who are viewing this thread