from radioshack for $50?
Sep 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zoggop

New Head-Fier
I recently sent back some Koss UR40s under radioshack warranty... and of course, they don't give you money back, they give you a gift card for the amount I bought the UR40s for. So... what (portable) headphone would you get from radioshack's online store for $50? After doing some reading, it seems like my best option is the Portapros. But if you have some other suggestions... I'm all ears.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 7
$50 for portapros seems a bit steep since you can get it for less if you shop around, but if it were me I'd give the portapros a try. I personally haven't heard them, but fwir they seem to be a pretty good contender in its price range. I also don't know how they compare to the UR40's. I'll leave that discussion to someone else.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 7
I dont know which to suggest, but my gut feeling is that the Portapros are the coolest

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$50 for portapros seems a bit steep since you can get it for less if you shop around

Welcome to Radioshack, where prices are steep and selection is crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also don't know how they compare to the UR40's. I'll leave that discussion to someone else.

As much as I like having full-size headphones, I just got tired of packing the bulky UR40s into small bags and having them break every 6 months (I've had three pairs).

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 7
PortaPros sound better than the UR40 and are easily foldable and pretty durable. They are definitely the safest bet there. If you like the sound of the UR40s (somewhat bright/sparkly) the KTXPro1 use the same drivers but are a lot smaller. You'd have about $20 left over on a RadioShack gift card though
frown.gif

The only other interesting headphones I see there are the Jvc Ha-S700. Heard good things about these and wouldn't mind getting a pair myself
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah I was considering the HA-S700 because I travel occasionally on planes and busses, and it would be nice to not annoy the people next to me and be able to hear something over engine noise. But I couldn't really find anything more than vague impressions of the sound quality. Oh, and out of curiosity I'm looking them up again now, and I can't seem to find whether the "ear-cups" are circum-aural or supra-aural.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoggop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was considering the HA-S700 because I travel occasionally on planes and busses, and it would be nice to not annoy the people next to me and be able to hear something over engine noise. But I couldn't really find anything more than vague impressions of the sound quality. Oh, and out of curiosity I'm looking them up again now, and I can't seem to find whether the "ear-cups" are circum-aural or supra-aural.

The S700 are circumaural (and the S900 are supraaural).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back