From 225i to RS2i or RS1i?
Dec 2, 2009 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
I enjoy my 225i a lot, but I'm curious about the RS series. Some people prefer the RS2i but a lot prefer the RS1i. Some people say the older models are better and some say the i models are great.

For those who own one of them or listened to both the i versions of the RS, which one do you prefer?

This is just about the i models, not the older models.

I can afford the RS2i easily but I'm coking up at the $695 price tag for the RS1i.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 20
I'd either go for a pair of RS-1i's or HF-2's (which are the only ones I've heard). Compared to my SR-225i's, they take everything to the next level, with unquestionable authority over the sound at hand. A very satisfying listen, and, surprisingly, still rather affordable.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 20
I have had every grado but the RS-1 and the 225 is the only one that I still have not enough diffrence in sound to want to upgrade the 225 is just fine with the right amp and souce they are hard to beat as far as grados go.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 20
The SR-225i is easily beaten by the HF-2. I say this knowing that most Grados sound very alike and warrant skepticism when thinking up reasons of upgrade.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy my 225i a lot, but I'm curious about the RS series. Some people prefer the RS2i but a lot prefer the RS1i. Some people say the older models are better and some say the i models are great.

For those who own one of them or listened to both the i versions of the RS, which one do you prefer?

This is just about the i models, not the older models.

I can afford the RS2i easily but I'm coking up at the $695 price tag for the RS1i.

I would recommend saving up for the RS1s. They are the best impression of the Grado house sound and IMO, the best cans for Rock...period.

This will save you $$$ in the long run as you are currently looking at moving up the food chain, and I can guarantee you that if you got the RS2s (2 for a reason...second place), within a few months you will be thinking, maybe I should have gone for the RS1s.

Then you'll be back here posting to see if you should upgrade, then you'll have to sell your RS2s (at a loss) and then jump up to the RS1s.

Just go for the RS1s is my recommendation they are totally worth it!

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 20
Simple. Buy used RS-1s. Problem solved. You can afford them, I think that they sound better than the RS-2. There a couple pairs on the fs forum a few weeks ago going for cheaper than a new RS-2.

Also, you won't lose money if you decide that you don't like them. Buying used (along with DIY) is the best possible thing that you can do for your budget and your trip through the headphone world.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 20
If you really like the 225i's, you'll love the RS-1i's or HF-2's. That's all I have to say. You'll finally get that bass you've been missing, plus tons more detail. The RS-2i's are significantly better than the 225i's, but still an incremental upgrade. Just go straight for the top, then build other parts of your rig from there.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 20
I'm the type of person that has a hard time buying used, especially sight unseen, so I saved up and bought the RS1i new and don't regret it for a minute. Sound like this is a luxury and worth every penny.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 20
^that is fine for you, but the OP's budget is around $500. Plus, I am of the opinion that the buttoned RS-1s sound better than the RS-1i.

Either way, it is a fact that you would save a lot of money buying used. People take great care of their gear, report any flaws and are willing to take new pics if you request them. As a result, almost all sales through this site go well

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-225i is easily beaten by the HF-2. I say this knowing that most Grados sound very alike and warrant skepticism when thinking up reasons of upgrade.

well I hope they do a second run of the HF-2 ... no sense in recommending a headphone that's probably gone up a couple of hundred bucks now in the 2nd hand market.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either way, it is a fact that you would save a lot of money buying used. People take great care of their gear, report any flaws and are willing to take new pics if you request them. As a result, almost all sales through this site go well

I couldn't agree more. I've bought and sold headphones, amps, interconnects, CDS, etc. on Head-Fi for years and have never had a negative experience. The availability of quality used gear from this community is part of what makes it so special, and it allows people to try out or acquire gear that they might not normally be able to afford. There's absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing used at Head-Fi.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't agree more. I've bought and sold headphones, amps, interconnects, CDS, etc. on Head-Fi for years and have never had a negative experience. The availability of quality used gear from this community is part of what makes it so special, and it allows people to try out or acquire gear that they might not normally be able to afford. There's absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing used at Head-Fi.

Well that's really nice to hear. Next time I'm wanting something I'll give it a try and see how it goes. The idea of saving money sure is appealing. I've just heard too many horror stories of ebay purchases, etc. and it freaked me out. But if Head-Fi is different, more power to it.
beerchug.gif

Still glad I got the RS1i brand new though. They're my prized possession.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 20
eBay is always hit or miss. It's a completely different animal than this place. Nice score on the RS1i BTW. I've been thinking about going back to RS1 territory myself although i'm holding out hope that a second round of the HF-2 will happen. Anyway, hope you're enjoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back