Friend wants ~100USD IEM's
Oct 27, 2006 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

canadiandude

Head-Fier
I myself can give advice on headphones but when it comes to IEMS im lost.

I told him to look at the following
Super.fi 3 studio
Etymotic ER6i and the 6i
Shure E2c
Westone UM1

I am actually interested in IEMS myself but my pricerange is more like 250USD maybe ill reward myself next summer :p

anyhoo he listens mostly to rock and techno, wants a flat response, as detailed as possible, I heard something about IEMS with "bigger" soundstage are actually just "echoy" im not up for a debate just saying what ive read.
thanks in advance for youre responses, any comments/corrections are always welcome.
if you need any more info just ask and I will get back to you
i must stress he reall doenst want to pay more than 90USD but will go as high as 100 MAYBE 110... were not all right ya know..

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah, the Altec Lansing iM716 is within sight of that price ceiling, yet from a way higher class of performance compared to the similarly-priced competition IMO.

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 16
I would go for the um1 or shure e2c personally. I like the stronger presence of base.

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 16
What?

In my experience the iM716 has packed comparable (if not more) bass to the E2C with much more tightness and refinement. With foamies, it's tight, punchy, and really articulate.

The pod mod is a worthwhile endeavor if you have the time and expertise.

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
What?

In my experience the iM716 has packed comparable (if not more) bass to the E2C with much more tightness and refinement.

The cord mod is a worthwhile endeavor if you have the time and expertise.

I have not had the chance of hearing the iM716. I was refering to the other IEM's in the line-up.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 16
im716. If detail is important it wins hands down. To be honest, they are some of my favorite headphones I have owned and I much prefer them to the k81dj.

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 16
Posting for more iM716 love!

Finally, a thread where the iM716 is unanimously recommended!

They are around $100 on Amazon.

Also, if this hasn't been mentioned yet, try DIY poly-urethane foamies with the iM716's. They bring out the low end. Best IEM in this price range IMO.

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Actually, the iM716 sound can be typified as a cross between E4 and ER4-P.
Yes, I have/had Ety ER6i, and Er4, and listen to E4. Your only problem to be overcome, as I understand it, is to have someone buy Altec Lansing iM716 and ship them to you in Canada. It seems that Amazon.com eschews shipping to Canada..........but the Amazon vendor is the best possible price for them. I paid $79 for one pair, then later could not resist them @ $63. - both have podectomies and run from Xin Supermini w/either AD8656 or AD8616 opamps (a tube-y sound)........AH!

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Actually, the iM716 sound can be typified as a cross between E4 and ER4-P.
Yes, I have/had Ety ER6i, and Er4, and listen to E4. Your only problem to be overcome, as I understand it, is to have someone buy Altec Lansing iM716 and ship them to you in Canada. It seems that Amazon.com eschews shipping to Canada..........but the Amazon vendor is the best possible price for them. I paid $79 for one pair, then later could not resist them @ $63. - both have podectomies and run from Xin Supermini w/either AD8656 or AD8616 opamps (a tube-y sound)........AH!

it looks like amazon went back up in price, probably head-fi demand :p
these are the best i could find

http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?pa...=10-27718601-2

http://www.alwayslowest.com/al/index...s&part=1491059

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 16
For mainly rock and techno, I'll recommend a set of D-Jays. I just got them on Thursday night, and I'm still burning them in. Their sound quality is VERY much like a set of Grado headphones - they are excellent for rock and techno. Already, their sound quality has surpassed the SR60 level, and I'm waiting for them to fully burn in before I seriously compare them to the SR225. I've had the Ety ER6, and the D-Jays are well above the SQ of those - a LOT more fun with PRAT out the wazoo, with a full, rich bass and a detailed and lovely (not at all harsh or fatiguing) treble to start with - not at all "edgy" like the ER6. I also currently use and LOVE the ER4S, and the D-Jays beat them hands down for their presentation of Rock and Techno for their ability to portray the punch/crunch/energy/beat of the sound. (For really beautiful or subtle female vocals and acoustic music, I definitely prefer the added refinement, resolution and timbral finesse of the ER4S.) The detail, resolution and spectral balance on the D-Jays is very much on par with the SR225 with flat pads (my personal favorite). I'm currently getting from a modest source (through the D-Jays) a soundstage that I only get from the SR225 with a substantially better source. So, I'd rate the D-Jays as having the fun and rock (punchy/crunchy) factor of a very decent Grado, with better-than-Grado soundstaging (which is very nice for Techno) in an IEM package, and about a $100 USD price point. They use very soft tips (a lot like the really comfy ones on the EX71) - so their comfort is unusually good for an IEM. Their insertion is also not very deep, which makes them quite a bit more convenient to insert and remove - and makes it a LOT easier to learn how to get a good seal with them as well. I'm pretty thrilled with the D-Jays for how they complement my ER4S, for the qualities of full-size headphones they bring to IEMs, and for their value, comfort and ease of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back