Friend is a BOSE lover, help
May 2, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #32 of 42
oh wow this is a pretty active forum!
biggrin.gif

thanks everyone for ur replies, i think he gets the point. He doesn't own those phones, he only thinks (or thought better yet) that bose are the kings of sound.

The phones u've been telling my to buy such as the 770s are way, WAY over my budget! I cannot justify spending more than 50$ on phones (currently
wink.gif
)

are there any phones for around 50$ (or less) that will WOW me the way the ksc 75 did or should i just stick to them.

Btw plz do NOT overclock using clockgen or any other overclocking software. That stuff's for noobs and can damage ur pc / stability MUCH MORE than the classic bios overclocking.

With the amd opterons doing at least 5,600 mhz over stock with stock volts and cooling, i do not see why not to overclock. It's SO much fun getting more bang for ur buck and as u've seen, CPUs do affect gaming performance.

Good day
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Btw plz do NOT overclock using clockgen or any other overclocking software. That stuff's for noobs and can damage ur pc / stability MUCH MORE than the classic bios overclocking.

With the amd opterons doing at least 5,600 mhz over stock with stock volts and cooling, i do not see why not to overclock. It's SO much fun getting more bang for ur buck and as u've seen, CPUs do affect gaming performance.

Good advice re: the utilities (I was being a wiseguy).

And CPUs affect gaming performance if you're able to get what it seems many of you are now getting out of the AMDs. When I gave up on it, there wasn't much being gained (a few hundred MHz, which only got you like 5-10fps if you were lucky).

Anyway... OC away if that's your thing- it appears there is a LOT of overhead being built into newer chips again.

May 2, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #34 of 42
This is head-fi.

Overclocking and quiet computers are two terms which don't belong together. If you're using your computer as source you don't want 10 fans humming away constantly.

May 2, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #35 of 42
This made me chuckle.

I have a buddy who has a pair of Sony V700DJ's. Whenever it comes up, he talks about how good they are compared to anything there is out there. I have a pair of SR225's and DT880's and he stated definitively that his sony's sound much better. Granted, I only have a PA2V2 to drive my 880's but I still think they sound better than my 225's. Anyway, after he stated that he thinks his V700's even compete with the QC2's. I think a lot of people just equate volume and bass with sound quality.

I don't even try to change his opinions, cause he seems pretty pleased with his headphones. Anything that says Sony or Bose is a top tier product to him. Brand equity at its finest.

May 2, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devcon
This made me chuckle.

I have a buddy who has a pair of Sony V700DJ's. Whenever it comes up, he talks about how good they are compared to anything there is out there. I have a pair of SR225's and DT880's and he stated definitively that his sony's sound much better. Granted, I only have a PA2V2 to drive my 880's but I still think they sound better than my 225's. Anyway, after he stated that he thinks his V700's even compete with the QC2's. I think a lot of people just equate volume and bass as the primary determinants of quality sound.

I don't even try to change his opinions, cause he seems pretty pleased with his headphones. Anything that says Sony or Bose is a top tier product to him. Brand equity at its finest.

Sony and Bose both have some pretty intense headphones.
You've got the Qualia, SA5000, CD3000, R10 with Sony... Aviator X on the Bose side(Haven't heard the X yet, but if it's a refined Triport... I'd consider them a winner)

Nothing wrong with Bass/Volume one of the primary determinants of how good a pair of headphones are
To most people, bass is the most important part
Volume? Most people would want to EQ/Bass Boost their music... if a phone can't output a lot of bass before Distortion; those are huge glaring weaknesses[I'm looking at you K701s, K1000s, SA5000!]

However, his choice of good Sonys being the DJs... is disheartening
I wouldn't bash him for liking Sony and Bose[I like Sony and Bose as well]
But the DJs?!?!?! I think you need to tell him to look at Sony's full product lineup

May 2, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #37 of 42
Yeah, i'm not going to pass judgement on any Bose or Sony headphones as I have never heard any Bose and only a couple sonys. I do own a pair of EX71's which I dislike, but I didn't think the V700's were terrible. I'm not too difficult to please, and I like new sounds, but they just didn't encapsulate me as my cans can do.

I only wanted to comment on the power of marketing. Talking to him about headphones, I might as well just watch a bose or sony commercial. It's comical to me how people can have blind trust in the quality of a brand name without researching alternatives. I know sony and even bose makes plenty of excellent products, but they could repackage a 10 dollar pair of airplane headphones and make a 200% profit.

May 2, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devcon
but they could repackage a 10 dollar pair of airplane headphones and make a 200% profit.

Kind of how "audiophile" cable companies could repackage 25 cents worth of cables and resell it for 10,000%+ profit?
biggrin.gif

That's just audio in general. It's just not as bad with Bose and Sony.
Just speculation... but I'm guessing my AKG K1000s and UE-10Pros had a lot more than 200% Profit

May 2, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS

Nothing wrong with Bass/Volume one of the primary determinants of how good a pair of headphones are
To most people, bass is the most important part
Volume? Most people would want to EQ/Bass Boost their music... if a phone can't output a lot of bass before Distortion; those are huge glaring weaknesses[I'm looking at you K701s, K1000s, SA5000!]

So I take it the SA5k failed the bass test?

May 2, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
So I take it the SA5k failed the bass test?

The SA5Ks are interesting

The bass on them is so tight I'm not sure if that's how the bass is supposed to sound or if it has distorted. It's very dependent on headplacement, the bass sounds totally different between :1.not sealed, sealed, sealed with hands cupped over

I'm having a very hard time with the SA5Ks on the bass issue
Is it crapping out? Is it distorting? Or is this is how the bass is supposed to sound and none of my other headphones have produced bass this "accurate"? I can't tell!

The non-bass portion of the SA5Ks? Wow, the detail and brightness on these things are exactly what I want in a headphone.[Or has the headphone brainwashed me into believing this is what I want?] These babies make the UE-10 Pros sound veiled in comparison. Now whenever I listen to the UE-10 Pros, I have to bump up the treble! Prolonged listening to the SA5Ks will change your perspective on all headphones. I want to put the SA5Ks together with the K1000s in this department(the changing perspective on all headphones department).
I may have to join both Team Bass Boost and Team Treble Boost

The dissappointments of the SA5Ks? That it doesn't slam and vibrate like the HD650s. The bass is tight... but it has no impact.
In order to get any amount of bass you have to combine EQ + Bass Boost + Foobar Convolvor! These phones are bass shy!

The goods of the SA5Ks? That I will never ever listen to the HD650s without boosts to the Treble.(Is that a good or a bad?)

So what's my next purchase? I'm looking at the new Grado GS1000s. They look very interesting
icon10.gif

May 2, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZDMAN
k1000smile.gif

watcha gonna do i'm a performance freak

about the overclocking comment, games DO utilize the CPU power (isn't a bottleneck).

Example:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2747

Anyhow, isn't saying my KSC 75 are better a bit exaggerated?!
For god's sake they're 10$ vs 150$ phones....

In any case, thanks for all the replies, i think i proved my point nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

oh and completely off topic, how are the skullcrushers? the built in subwoofer sounds VERY cool ! i LOVE listenning to bass heavy music with heavy, club-like bass.
Anything better than them with awesome bass for under 50$? Gonna be used with an ipod mini (mp3gained all my songs, plz don't linch me
smily_headphones1.gif
) and with the pc

thanks pleasure to be a member
tongue.gif

GPU bound not CPU bound. OC'n low-end to mid-range CPUs maybe worth it in terms of cost-benefit-analysis. But OC'n the newer dual-core beasts is IMO a waste of freak'n time minus neighborhood ego points.

BOSE isn't as bad as people make them out to be. They are a popular MASS MARKET (read Radio Shack) audio consumer brand. BOSE is not considered audiphile and are IMO quite over priced (a lot more than the Orpheus in terms of price/performance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back