fried motherboard
Jan 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pbone

Head-Fier
So first off I'm an idiot. And second off I'm a ******** idiot. The other day I was building a new comp and I wasn't getting a live screen or any bios or anything. I soon found out the problem which was that I was using 1066 ram when my mobo only supports 800. But before I found that out I accidentally fried the board from static. The LEDs lit up for a second and then smoke came out. Yes I am an idiot. What are the chances that all my components are fried too? Like my hdds, video card, ram and CPU?

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I think it's pretty unlikely that you fried anything other than the mobo but then again you never know with static electricity.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 10
How did you come to the conclusion that it was fried by ESD (static)?

Sounds more like
a) defective mobo
b)defective power supply (Possibly set on the wrong voltage)

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 10
True story. I reached into my case for some reason and a big blue ark of electricity jumped from my finger to the motherboard. The LEDs came on and the PC booted up.
eek.gif
I though for sure I fried it but no damage was done.

Lesson learned. I always unplug the PC from the power outlet before I reach inside.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True story. I reached into my case for some reason and a big blue ark of electricity jumped from my finger to the motherboard. The LEDs came on and the PC booted up.
eek.gif
I though for sure I fried it but no damage was done.

Lesson learned. I always unplug the PC from the power outlet before I reach inside.

Thats shocking...

Well, try to get it RMA. Most manufactures can't tell how a motherboard malfunctions any, so you might get a new board.

Good luck.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds more like
a) defective mobo
b) defective power supply (Possibly set on the wrong voltage)

That would be my assumption as well. The PSU might have been bad and took out the mobo. There's a chance other components were damaged and should be tested, but I've dealt with a similar situation and all the other components were okay. I'd have that PSU tested or replaced before you swap the mobo.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Agree with Gautama. Doesn't sound like an ESD event at all. The way you describe it, it's sounds like a short/over-voltage issue.

And unless something's changed, you shouldn't have a problem running 1066 MHz RAM on a 800 MHz bus.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 10
hmm. thanks for the replies guys. i think i'm going to try to get an RMA on the board and try to exchange the ram for the DDR2-800 kind and just hope that the other components are still good.

i have this RAM (NCIX.com - Buy Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - BL2KIT12864AA1065 In Canada.)

and this mobo:
(XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard, NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID MB-N680-ILT in Canada at TigerDirect.ca)

and that motherboard only supports up to DDR2-800.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 10
That motherboard supports 1066 memory. DDR2-800 is just the standard that is used. Return the other stuff if you want...you'll just end up with slower memory.

What CPU do you have? Most C2D's use at least a 1066 FSB. If you're running a C2D then using 1066 memory is no problem. Your board only officially supports 800 MHz, which does not mean that faster memory will not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back