Frequencys/Songs with "effect" on the human body
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #91 of 144
Subs aren't really easy to choose. I hired a guy to set up my room and he picked the sub for me. It's by Carver and it has an amp that has more power than Hoover Dam!
I measured Carver Sunfire sub about 20 years ago for a hifi-magazine and it is a "wicked" thing! You can blow the fuse with it if you are not careful, because the amp is so powerful. It is a crazy audio product, but I do admire the ambition to force 20 Hz out of the smallest cabinet possible with raw power...

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #92 of 144
This is the first time I see someone use the word "cheap" when talking about Genelec. Those are notoriously expensive products that keep most of their value even on the second hand market.
I think he paid about €700 for it from someone going out of business who needed a quick sale. So it was very cheap (relatively), especially considering it hadn’t been used much and was in excellent condition.
250 W indeed is plenty of speaker power for small room, but subwoofers need considerably more power to overcome the problem of the sound source being significantly smaller in size than than the wavelength it is working on.
Yep, he hadn’t considered how much more power a sub would need, just that 250w sounded like it should be enough.

G

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #93 of 144
This isn't quite right. The 10 % distortion is compared to the acoustic output level at 20 Hz. so, 40 Hz harmonic (if it was the only distortion component) would be -40 dB, because the distortion isn't measured from the signal going to the sub, but from the acoustic output. The measurement doesn't care about the fact that the sub can output 40 Hz 25 dB louder than 20 Hz with the same input signal level.
This is something I don't want to argue because that is indeed correct. If both the frequency response and THD measurement was coming from the same room and position, my assumptions and numbers are entirely off. However, the wording of the previous posts makes me think there are two different measurements being jumbled together. It looks like the 10% distortion comes from the manufacturer while the frequency response is the actual in-room measurement. I tried to explain why these two can't be really be put together the way you describe it. I think that would be an overly optimistic best case scenario approximation.

About the 10%THD being the same as -40dB, is that just a typo or you think I got the conversion wrong?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #94 of 144
I think he paid about €700 for it from someone going out of business who needed a quick sale. So it was very cheap (relatively), especially considering it hadn’t been used much and was in excellent condition.
700 euros is indeed very cheap for this sub. It is around 3000 euros new and typically Genelec speakers retain about 80 % of their value on second hand markets, so anything below 2000 euros for this model is a steal.

Yep, he hadn’t considered how much more power a sub would need, just that 250w sounded like it should be enough.

G
Apparently not. Makes one think if the theatrical specs are too demanding? How loud do you have to go?

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #95 of 144
This is something I don't want to argue because that is indeed correct. If both the frequency response and THD measurement was coming from the same room and position, my assumptions and numbers are entirely off. However, the wording of the previous posts makes me think there are two different measurements being jumbled together. It looks like the 10% distortion comes from the manufacturer while the frequency response is the actual in-room measurement. I tried to explain why these two can't be really be put together the way you describe it. I think that would be an overly optimistic best case scenario approximation.
Oh, okay. I wasn't reading the discussion enough to know what is going on. If different measurement are jumbled wildly together, the whole thing is a mess I don't want to be part of...

About the 10%THD being the same as -40dB, is that just a typo or you think I got the conversion wrong?
Oh damn! Not -40 dB but 40 dB. I don't know why I have the negative sign there! Thanks for pointing this typo out for me! I'll fix it.

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #96 of 144
It is around 3000 euros new and typically Genelec speakers retain about 80 % of their value on second hand markets, so anything below 2000 euros for this model is a steal.
I’ve seen them go (second hand) for around €1,200 but more commonly about €1,500 or so. €700 was a great deal, or would have been if it was the right tool for the job!
Makes one think if the theatrical specs are too demanding? How loud do you have to go?
85dB = -20dBFS, sub is +10dB in-band gain though. Sounds like a lot of SPL but it’s soon eaten up by big on-screen explosions with a lot of content down at 30-60Hz.

G

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #97 of 144
I’ve seen them go (second hand) for around €1,200 but more commonly about €1,500 or so. €700 was a great deal, or would have been if it was the right tool for the job!
Oh, okay. Still, 700 euros is quite cheap for it.

85dB = -20dBFS, sub is +10dB in-band gain though. Sounds like a lot of SPL but it’s soon eaten up by big on-screen explosions with a lot of content down at 30-60Hz.

G
According to this spec the sub needs to do 115 dB (85+20+10 dB), right? Genelec 7070A can just barely make that much sound on short term explosions measured at 1 m I think, but measured further than that there are clearly problems as has been established... ...anyway do we need to go over 100 dB? Would it be a loss if movies had explosions peaking at 100 dB? for my ears 90 dB starts to be a lot but then again I have aspergers and increased sensory sentivity.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #98 of 144
Going one octave down requires 8-times bigger cabinet so going from 80 Hz to 20 Hz requires 64 times bigger cabinet (dimension ∛64 = 4 times bigger) for the same efficiency level!

Sunfire (Carver designed) subs operate on a different design philosophy. They are much smaller while still producing very low frequencies at very decent volume levels.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #99 of 144
According to this spec the sub needs to do 115 dB (85+20+10 dB), right?
Not quite, it’s in-band gain. You need to use a band-limited test signal. Using a broadband signal it would work out somewhere around 112dB. Also, in a small room you would typically calibrate to 79-82dB rather than the 85dB (= -20dBFS).
anyway do we need to go over 100 dB?
Not for music but for some sound effects we do. Don’t forget that at 30Hz, 60dBSPL is barely audible and we want to move enough air so there’s actually a physical sensation in the case of explosions for example.

G

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #100 of 144
Things rarely explode in the movies I watch.

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #101 of 144
Seems like a lot of blockbuster action/sci-fi movies do. And they have more LFE with setting the rumbles in jet engines/crashes. I've also noticed overall levels can be different on UHD disc vs streaming (IE I'll adjust my receiver's subwoofer level adjustment on my phone when I'm watching an action movie on UHD or streaming). With streaming, I might have to raise the volume 5dB for Atmos over DD+ streaming and independently raise subwoofer level. Then on some UHD discs, I might have to go well below -5dB on its TrueHD/Atmos track from the previous streaming (and might also start lowering subwoofer level more when there is an explosion).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #102 of 144
Seems like a lot of blockbuster action/sci-fi movies do. And they have more LFE with setting the rumbles in jet engines/crashes. I've also noticed overall levels can be different on UHD disc vs streaming (IE I'll adjust my receiver's subwoofer level adjustment on my phone when I'm watching an action movie on UHD or streaming). With streaming, I might have to raise the volume 5dB for Atmos over DD+ streaming and independently raise subwoofer level. Then on some UHD discs, I might have to go well below -5dB from the previous streaming (and might also start lowering subwoofer level more when there is an explosion).
one of the reasons could be lossy vs lossless, i noticed that stuff under 20-40hz is actually quieter (and less "clean") on lossy formats
tho a other reason might be volume normalization by netflix/disney/amazon

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #103 of 144
one of the reasons could be lossy vs lossless, i noticed that stuff under 20-40hz is actually quieter (and less "clean") on lossy formats
tho a other reason might be volume normalization by netflix/disney/amazon
It’s definitely sound level of the audio track and not format. For example Star Wars TrueHD Atmos is close in volume to it on Disney+. I do have to raise levels for it. If I put on Top Gun Maverick after that, then I found it was a little louder than other UHD movies and have to go further than -5dB

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #104 of 144
It’s not just explosions, it might be thunderstorms, vehicle crashes, rumbles or whatever, depending on what effect the director wants. And of course, theatrical sound systems are not designed/calibrated to be suitable for only the movies you watch but for all films.
I've also noticed overall levels can be different on UHD disc vs streaming (IE I'll adjust my receiver's subwoofer level adjustment on my phone when I'm watching an action movie on UHD or streaming).
Here is where things start to get complicated, for a number of reasons. Each of the main (front) speakers in a theatrical system will already have one or two subwoofers built into them. Then there will typically be at least two banks of subs, one bank doing bass management duties for all the surround/diffuser speakers (which normally don’t go lower than ~55Hz) and another one or two banks dedicated to reproducing only the LFE channel. Consumer 5.1 (or greater) systems are quite different, the main speakers don’t have subs and the surrounds are also LF limited, so the subwoofer has to do double duty, reproducing both the LFE channel and doing bass management duties. Playing back an actual theatrical mix on a home system would result in the sub spending a fair amount of time in an overload condition. Despite what the advertising might state, consumers will very rarely ever get the actual theatrical mix. Exceptions could be low budget films, that don’t have the money to create multiple mixes but typically these would be relatively simple dramas that don’t use high LFE levels anyway.

For blockbusters and other moderate or higher budget films there will be many different sound mixes created, in some cases up to about 70! Commonly there will be at least two consumer mixes, one to meet TV specs (EG. Loudness normalised to -24LKFS) and another, by convention rather than specs, for DVD/BluRay normalised to -27LKFS. In both cases though the mixes will typically be different (not only loudness normalised), at least to account for bass management/LFE issues. Netflix delivery specs for example are for Dolby Atmos but at the ATSC mandated loudness levels (-24LKFS). Theatrical mixes don’t have loudness specs but would typically be somewhere around -31LKFS. This above is why levels between can be variable.
There’s no audible difference between lossy and lossless film formats even in the most sensitive hearing band, let alone the least sensitive band! Yet AGAIN, you’re just making up nonsense and “noticing” things that are not “noticeable” or aren’t even there to start with!

G

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #105 of 144
For blockbusters and other moderate or higher budget films there will be many different sound mixes created, in some cases up to about 70! Commonly there will be at least two consumer mixes, one to meet TV specs (EG. Loudness normalised to -24LKFS) and another, by convention rather than specs, for DVD/BluRay normalised to -27LKFS. In both cases though the mixes will typically be different (not only loudness normalised), at least to account for bass management/LFE issues. Netflix delivery specs for example are for Dolby Atmos but at the ATSC mandated loudness levels (-24LKFS). Theatrical mixes don’t have loudness specs but would typically be somewhere around -31LKFS. This above is why levels between can be variable.

G
With my 7.1.4 home theater, I have observed quite a difference with normalization and mix of the LFE channel depending on mixes of that title (that a contracted company is doing for a streaming or disc home media delivery). I've noticed I might need to change volume levels more often with that system (which includes full sized tower mains, tonally matched center and surrounds that are relatively large cabinets) vs my soundbar in my bedroom (that includes a small subwoofer and two small surround speakers that try to reflect Dolby height and side). I think part of it, apart from me watching more streaming TV content, are that I don't have full sized speaker drivers being directly aimed at my listening position.

At least I've found DVD/BD/UHDs have masters with an audio mix that have about the same normalization/audio levels. The only outlier being recent UHDs from Disney (that includes new 4K titles from the 20th Century Fox catalog). Most new streaming content is mixed in 5.1, and I'm not usually adjusting volumes going from streaming app to app. There sometimes is another significant change in volume level with titles in stereo (overall, something streaming in stereo might be the lowest volume level I have to adjust). But I don't have that problem with BDs (as at least they seem to have movies in 1.0/2.0 normalized the same as 5.1/7.1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back