Frequency Test: How much can u hear?
Feb 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #91 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And don't most headphones only produce up to 20?

Most headphones have the high end rolled off below 20khz because it can be harsh on the ears with the driver so close to your ears. My DT9990pro are not rolled off and have upper extension to 35khz. The reason for upper driver extension is to make sure all frequencies are reproduced. DT990pro is designed as a studio headphone so need to reproduce all frequencies, that's why some people don't like them.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #92 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I easily hear 12k, hurts alot though.

Is that a typo? I think most can hear 12k unless you are deaf. It's when you get above 17k that you have good hearing.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #93 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Grado RS-1 makes clicking noises at 17k and above ... for the OP's first link. Any idea what this is? I also get it at 30Hz

Maybe going beyond the range of what the drivers are capable of?

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #94 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear 21kHz if I crank my speakers up to 40%, but I can hear 20kHz and down just fine at 15-20%.

Wow, how old are you? If you are over 30 then I would classify you as having golden ears.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #95 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i may ask a question...i was always interested in why headphones frequency range capabilities is far beyond the capabilities of the human hearing? why do they make them like that? and what is the diferences between a 20-20 can and a 5-45 one? is there a diference between them?

Yea, deeper bass and brighter highs. DT990pro are a good example of that, 5hz - 35khz. But you have to look at their decibel level across all frequencies though, the flatter it is the better.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #96 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is normal not to hear very high frequencies as you get older. In the UK they are testing devices to keep teens from loitering outside convenience stores by playing high frequencies through outdoor speakers that only younger people can hear.

are you serious? That is so messed up. It's like those bark control devices for dogs. I mean if they don't want youngens around, fine, but use a broom or something.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #97 of 120
Any bay area, California head-fier's here who are really bothered by the noise on Bart (subway)? When it goes under the bay, there's this really loud howling noise, which I'm sure is causing hearing damage to everyone on the train. But maybe it hurts me cause I can hear 20khz. I always cover my ears and everyone is like what's this guy on about? Either that or if I wear my K81dj's it's fine.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #98 of 120
Quote:

are you serious? That is so messed up. It's like those bark control devices for dogs. I mean if they don't want youngens around, fine, but use a broom or something.

Or play Celine Dion 24/7 on Radio Shack outdoor speakers.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #99 of 120
Quote:

Yes, I am very serious. I read the article about a year ago. Think it was maybe a BBC article but can't say for sure now.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #100 of 120
Quote:

Any bay area, California head-fier's here who are really bothered by the noise on Bart (subway)? When it goes under the bay, there's this really loud howling noise, which I'm sure is causing hearing damage to everyone on the train. But maybe it hurts me cause I can hear 20khz. I always cover my ears and everyone is like what's this guy on about? Either that or if I wear my K81dj's it's fine.

Ever heard of city hum that only some people can hear? Low frequency hum that drives some people nuts and only some cities exhibit this phenomena. I think Vancouver, B.C. is one of them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #101 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or play Celine Dion 24/7 on Radio Shack outdoor speakers.

But everyone can hear that so will drive real customers away too.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #103 of 120
I couldn't hear past 17k. I think working in a carpentry shop for a few years helped. Gonna use earmuffs 24/7 from now on
mad.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #104 of 120
I used to work in printing and the presses can get very loud. For the first 6 months I wore nothing and then finally had a pair of custom ear plugs made for me at the companies expense. That's what you need to get because they block sound better than ear muffs and are much more comfortable to wear for long periods. They make molds of the inside of your ears and then make the ear plugs from those.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #105 of 120
Thanks for the kind tip
beerchug.gif
But ear plugs would be to much of a hassle (in terms of hygiene) in a dusty environment. Tried to use some in ear canal phones at work but gave up after a few days..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back