Frequency Test: How much can u hear?
Sep 29, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #31 of 120
It is strange, it seem like sometimes I can even hear up to 22KHZ !

So
Does anyone hear have a test that can get up to 23 or 24 khz ?
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #33 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is strange, it seem like sometimes I can even hear up to 22KHZ !

So
Does anyone hear have a test that can get up to 23 or 24 khz ?
wink.gif

The tone generator on Audacity goes up to 28 KHz at least. I've never tried to go beyond that.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #35 of 120
well after watching F1 night race from 3 metres i think i cant even hear 17khz.

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #37 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hear 20KH if i put the volume loud.

Actually, somebody correct me if I'm mistaken, but you might be hearing harmonics that exist in a lower frequency when you try the test at higher volumes.. I'm pretty sure these kind of tests rely heavily on proper calibration.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, somebody correct me if I'm mistaken, but you might be hearing harmonics that exist in a lower frequency when you try the test at higher volumes.. I'm pretty sure these kind of tests rely heavily on proper calibration.

Well, maybe. If you increase the frequency of the tone, and perceive the tone as doing the same thing, I'd say it's fairly unlikely that this is the case. A harmonic is going to be higher or lower in frequency than the actual signal, so you'll probably notice it. You are correct, though; in order for any test to be conclusive, proper calibration is essential.

Your hearing doesn't have a hard set maximum limit. You might be able to hear 16 kHz loud and clear, then notice it gets quieter and quieter as you increase the frequency, until you reach a point where you can't hear it anymore. If you can only hear 20 kHz after cranking the volume, your hearing probably starts to drop off at some point before that.

Also, remember the equipment you're using. If your speakers or headphones can't reproduce 22 kHz at the same volume as 16 kHz, your results will be skewed. Not to mention that the vast majority of headphones and speakers aren't going to have a perfectly flat frequency response, anyway. That's where the calibration comes in.

Regardless of all of this, it's still a fun and interesting test. The results need to be taken with a grain of salt, however.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #40 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by uhcmos1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear such a different but equally loud sound at 22kHz.

That's probably the result of aliasing or harmonics.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 120
yeah, you're supposed to do tests like these in a perfectly quiet room, so you can turn the source down to your hearing threshold.

Also, depending on your gear, you may not be able to hear some frequencies, either from roll off, or whatever. you know that some cans have spikes at high freqs. Also, are we adjusting for dBA or not? That might have an effect since the fletcher munson curve tells us our sound perception at high freqs gets pretty crappy anyways (it rolls right the hell off after 11kHz I think).

I remember the first time I listened to test tones like these, they were on my computer speakers and I thought "awesome, I can hear up past 20kHz just fine". It turns out my computer speakers were crap, and what I was hearing was some sort of distorted undertone or resonance; not a pure sin wave of 19kHz. Guys that are hearing some bands but not others - this might be an explanation...

I haven't tried to self test in a while, but on my KSC75 and my AD900, I can usually hear a little past 15kHz. I wonder if I might have different results if I set the EQ on my player to match an equal loudness curve of some sort? Or are my heapdhones already doing that on their own?

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #43 of 120
last i remembed 16khz. high frequencies at loud decibels is an excellent way to quickly lose your hearings and develop tinitis. I use my software eq to turn down the high frequencies because i'm too sensitive to them.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 120
I start barely hearing the sound at 18khz, I'm 21 and wishing I'd protected my hearing more previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back