Frequency Response graphs are a curious thing.
Dec 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

bcpk

1000+ Head-Fier
Subject 1 : Sony MDR-V6, famous for their analytical monitoring sound.

Subject 2 : Grado SR60, famous for their rockability.

mdrv6sr60.png

So, uh ...

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 72
I see what you're saying and find it just as unexpected. However, to take a differerent viewpoint, suppose you have a collection of headphone listeners -- all with perfect human hearing -- and you ask them them to describe which set of phones they liked and why. This is the empirical approach and I think what you find is that perfectly flat does not sound perfectly flat -- especially at the frequency extremes.

If that's the case, and you're a headphone designer, then you have to figure out what to aim for, perhaps especially in the high frequencies. I'm guessing what we see here is that Sony and Grado have come up with two different answers.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 72
Yeah, there is much more to is than just frequency response...
Listen and compare!

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 72
Little bump
biggrin.gif
I find Frequency response graphs not accurate to the overall sound at all. Just look at this:

graphCompare.php

Now look at that. The PRO 900 trumps the ED8 by the looks of that, I find that pretty weird considering their price difference. I really want to see a frequency response of the ALO-780 so I can see how my pair compare to the other 3 Ultrasone's. To see what the ALO mod really does
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 72
What do you mean by trumps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FR is ear canal dependent anyway, these graphs are completely meaningless: http://www.davidgriesinger.com\headphones.htm

I wouldn't say that.. they could be used for relative comparison against each other. (note: I have never taken FR into account when buying a pair of headphones)

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 72
Lol, according to the graph, it should be a lot better. But I do not believe in that. What's on paper is not nearly as important as how it sound to you. I never take into account FR either, I read reviews and then buy it. According to the graph, there is a lot more bass and the high's go a lot 'higher'. But that doesn't mean it is necessarily better than the ED8
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, according to the graph, it should be a lot better. But I do not believe in that. What's on paper is not nearly as important as how it sound to you. I never take into account FR either, I read reviews and then buy it. According to the graph, there is a lot more bass and the high's go a lot 'higher'. But that doesn't mean it is necessarily better than the ED8
biggrin.gif

the goal is not to have the most bumpy frequency response.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not a race to the top.

As i said in my post, frequency response isn't everything.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As i said in my post, frequency response isn't everything.

i didn't say that it wasn't, i was commenting more on the fact that you interpreted those results as "better"

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 72
Another bump. Something interesting that I noticed and posted earlier in a different thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jynweythek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

Recently I happened upon this Japanese headphone review site. It has a frequency response graph for the Sony 7506. Now Headroom has a graph as well, and it looks really flat:

graphCompare.php

The graph on the Japanese site does NOT. It shows just what the V6 sounds like to my ears. Note the huge dip from about 100-400hz. This is why it lacks warmth. I can hear that this part of the music (especially the deeper part of the dip) is almost absent on the V6, but I can hear it on cheap headphones (!). Also note the peak around 2-3khz. Human hearing is most sensitive around 3khz, which makes this very fatiguing (I think this is why Bjork's voice ends up so loud). From about 4.5-11khz is another major peak (or mountain range, more like). The higher frequencies really stand out from all the other frequencies, which is why the V6 is so bright and fatiguing. This graph is a really accurate depiction, IMO, of how the V6 sounds.

mdr-7506.gif

I think the Japanese site is showing raw, unadjusted frequency measurements, while the Headroom graphs have been messed with a lot (HRTF and whatnot). Or it could be that the Japanese site does a better job of messing with the data. :p I'm not sure if the Japanese site's graphs are more accurate in general, but in this specific case I would definitely say so.

Incidentally, here is their SR60 graph:

sr-60_f.gif

Looks very different. I don't know if the SR60 graph is accurate (never listened to an SR60). But the V6 graph, at least, does seem quite accurate.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 72
The best thing you can take home from your average FR graph is vaguely where you may expect frequency spikes. For example, if the graphs show a hike in bass over one of your cans you're comparing to, then you should expect some more bass-- Will it be punchy, muddy or sloppy? Hard to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back