French vocalist favorites?
Jan 23, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 41
I love Alizee! And not for her music.
wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBIm_...watch_response

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 41
Just got Francis Cabrel's Les Beaux Dégâts, which according to his website should be his latest album

The music is more blusy and "adult contemporary" than Hors-Saison. There are some beautiful songs on the album, such as "Elles Nous Regardent". I'm not terribly keen on blues though, and I have a feeling that, had Les Beaux Dégâts been my first Cabrel album, I might just cast it aside. But then I'm already sold on Hors-Saison...

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 41
My favorite all time french signer is Jacques Brel for sure, even though he didn't had the best voice he was just so full of emotions and his lyrics are so poetic and right that it make him my fav.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 41
surprised no-one has said Camille. Seems to be a bit of a sensation over here at the moment.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 41
Another vote for George Brassens and Serge Gainsbourg as far as "oldies" are concerned
icon10.gif

For the most recent stuff, i can recommend Miossec and Vincent Delerm ...great use of french language in their lyrics in their distinctive ways !

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 41
I'm especially partial to Dominique Durand, the lead singer for Ivy.

May 10, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #28 of 41
Just been to a concert by Emilie Simon. I didn't know anything about her beforehand, except that she plays electronic music and has studied in Pierre Boulez's IRCAM, which to me is credential enough.

People have dubbed her "The French Bjork", but to me she sounds more like electrified "Lolita Pop", a genre that the French claims their own (Vanessa Paradis, Alizee, etc). While the songs themselves are structurally conventional, Simon wrapped it up with high-tech gizmos: she played with two band members -- a percussionist, and a bassist/keyboardist who at times generated tones from some grand-daddy of the theremin. Simon, who also played the piano and guitar, had her left forearm strapped with real-time samplers that it looked like a mechanical arm.

The music was fairly hard-hitting: the guitar riffs and real-time samples came loud and incessant: Simon must have been sold on musique concrète during her spell at IRCAM. I'd have liked her better if she music been less angst-ridden and sampled, more spacious and synthetic, but people with an ear for experimental pop should surely add her name in their shortlists.

May 10, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 41
oooh... i can't believe i forgot about one of my all-time faves, French or otherwise:

Laetitia Sadier of Stereolab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back