French vocalist favorites?
May 10, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #32 of 41
May 12, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #33 of 41
Serge Fiori of Harmonium, is a French vocalist i enjoy a lot. Specifically, the vocals he does on the album "Si On Avait Besoin D'une Cinquieme Saison".

May 13, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #34 of 41
Just picked up the SACD version of the double album, A La Vie, A La Mort! , by Johnny Hallyday.

41Y5CYE94PL._AA240_.jpg

Although I can only listen to the red book layer (the SACDs promise multichannels), I'm stunned by the sound quality: spacious soundstage, well-defined instruments, without a hint of muddle even when the drums, electric guitars and choruses are in full blast. If only all pop CDs are made like this.

You won't expect a rock-ballad veteran like Hallyday to change in style, but there is enough variations in this long set to keep one riveted. Hallyday can emote too hard at times, but this is his trademark.

No lyrics or translations in the package, unfortunately.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #35 of 41
Patrick Bruel -- Entre Duex

51pDK13gfnL._AA240_.jpg

This double-CD set is singer Patrick Bruel's celebration of the heyday of French chanson: most of the songs were written between 1920-1940. Bruel is but an adequate singer; I don't find his wispy and somewhat raspy tone captivating. Fortunately a host of guests lend Bruel vocal support -- Francis Cabrel, Johnny Halladay, Renard, and Charles Aznavour (I must get myself something from this guy). If Bruel's voice is not exactly compelling, the music is a completely different matter: it captures the presence -- the romance, the humor, the camaraderie -- of the Paris roadside cafe, during the brief halcyon days between the two wars.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #36 of 41
Thomas Fersen -- Quatre (Four)

51Y6RBT7VGL._AA240_.jpg

When I see an unfamiliar name in the penny bin I usually read the booklet credits. If the CD has a lot of acoustic instruments in it, as in the rich array of strings, horns and plucks in this one, then I'm sold.

But of course sleeve notes tells nothing about how good or bad the singer is: at best, Fersen's singing is mediocre (assuming you like flat, hoary male voice of the 5-packs-a-day type); at worst he warbles in and out of tune, as in the opening track, where he is clearly singing in a range higher than what he is accustomed to.

But the music is a delight: a dreamy sound-journey of exotic images -- the fog-shrouded Indian desert sun, the smoke-filled Paris tavern, the ornate rococo chamber-music hall, the violin-welding gypsy nomad. What elegance: the music dignifies the voice.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #37 of 41
You may also want to check out Patricia Kaas, I have a couple of her CD's (one is a live set) and enjoy them. A nice mix of pop and jazzy styles.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #38 of 41
I'll see how Johnny Hallyday's "Laura" sounds and give my impression.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #39 of 41
His voice has a good timbre, so now on to Jean Ferrat!

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #40 of 41
I prefer Jean Ferrat's voice a bit more overall. Very smooth and compelling, almost baritone sounding, took me away to a Parisian Cafe.

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #41 of 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back