Freeware Program to Scan Music Library and Filter for Files Without Album Artwork
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sauerteig

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I am still in the process of tidying up my library. A number of files lack album work. Is there a program that will scan these files and file for files without album artwork so i just go through those files and decide whether to add album artwork or not.

I use musicbrainz picard but it is somewhat unwieldly where i have to manually download custom artwork. I am running a scan with musicbee, will see if it works...

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 6
As far as just finding the files without artwork https://community.mp3tag.de/t/find-files-with-no-artwork/12496
MP3tag as its name does not imply is not at all limited to handling mp3.
But then what to do with that? I'm not sure.
If you ask for help in their community thingy on how to best handle this, maybe someone who knows what he's talking about can give you some fairly simple solution, or maybe it will still be safer(never try anything directly on your library, you could ruin it. Always try first on a smaller copy of files in some far away directories), and faster for you to painfully go at it the way you already are? I'm garbage with MP3gain, it's like with Excel, every 3 years I need to do something specific, I google it and try what I find until it works or until I give up on doing it. But it's a powerful tool for tagging, sorting and renaming.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Right now I have found the most effective way is to use mp3tag and album downloader in tandem. It is far less efficient than a scan that simply hunts and tracks down all missing artwork however.
I peruse my library on my Astell Kern, note which ones have missing artwork or artwork I dont like. Then using my notes use those two programs in tandem.... One thing I noticed is that some things that mp3tags as not having artwork do have artwork on my player.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 6
MP3tag will check for the many ID2 or ID3 tags that can be used to embed an image (front cover, back cover, icon, illustration.... with ID3 you can add like 20 pictures to one track) but it will not check for a picture in the folder of your album. Something most players will do. You can check with a right click on the thumbnail area with no picture in MP3gain and select "add cover", it will by default open the folder with the selected track/tracks and if there is a picture to select, that's what your DAP probably uses already. That way you don't need to insert it X times with X being the number of tracks, it's a way to save space'so long as the player/DAP looks for that picture (some do require for the picture to be named "cover" or they don't show it).
If you wish to embed the pic into each track, then, as always, you need to "save" (top left) after selecting the pic in the folder, to actually apply the operation (as always with mp3tag).

As you mentioned musicbee, I assumed you needed a more on hand method. Musicbee has a bunch of integrated option for your basic art work needs. Maybe you only needed help with Musicbee? Then someone else must come help, as I have never used Musicbee as my main player. I fooled around just enough some years ago to remember that there are such tools integrated in it.

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 6
MP3tag will check for the many ID2 or ID3 tags that can be used to embed an image (front cover, back cover, icon, illustration.... with ID3 you can add like 20 pictures to one track) but it will not check for a picture in the folder of your album. Something most players will do. You can check with a right click on the thumbnail area with no picture in MP3gain and select "add cover", it will by default open the folder with the selected track/tracks and if there is a picture to select, that's what your DAP probably uses already. That way you don't need to insert it X times with X being the number of tracks, it's a way to save space'so long as the player/DAP looks for that picture (some do require for the picture to be named "cover" or they don't show it).
If you wish to embed the pic into each track, then, as always, you need to "save" (top left) after selecting the pic in the folder, to actually apply the operation (as always with mp3tag).

As you mentioned musicbee, I assumed you needed a more on hand method. Musicbee has a bunch of integrated option for your basic art work needs. Maybe you only needed help with Musicbee? Then someone else must come help, as I have never used Musicbee as my main player. I fooled around just enough some years ago to remember that there are such tools integrated in it.
I don't use musicbee as a player, just as something to try and regulate artwork and other data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back