Free Grado Flat Pad
Oct 30, 2005 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

geoges.ravel

100+ Head-Fier
You are eligible only if you already have bowl pad. You should follow the
procedure below to get them. This procedure is for the LEFT side only :

1. Take off the bowl pad, turn it the other side, no, the other side! put it back to your Grado.

If you need to turn the right side into flat, repeat the procedure from step 1.

To turn flat to bowl repeat the procedure from step 1.

EDIT
After read the poste of adhoc, I add the step two below:

2. Press the earcup slightly while listening, the optimal pressure, eh, try to keep the depth of the foam at approximatively 3mm.

RS1Flat.jpg

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 16
Tried that once with my underpants, results weren't too good.

Anyways, reverse bowls don't sound like flat pads. They're more like an "inbetween" in regards to sound. I say pick a side (bowl or flat) and be done with it.

Bowls forever~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 16
Heihei, I never had a chance to hear the flats, I just feel more comfortable with reversed bowls
smily_headphones1.gif
Soundwise, I prefer reversed bowls too but I don't think there is a big difference though. The only problem is that they are ugly when reversed.

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Tried that once with my underpants, results weren't too good.

Anyways, reverse bowls don't sound like flat pads. They're more like an "inbetween" in regards to sound. I say pick a side (bowl or flat) and be done with it.

Bowls forever~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agreed. measuring the depth of foam before i hit driver, the depth with reversed bowls is roughly 6mm. with flats it's more like 3mm.

it's amazing what a difference 2mm can make to the sound.
cool.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
agreed. measuring the depth of foam before i hit driver, the depth with reversed bowls is roughly 6mm. with flats it's more like 3mm.

it's amazing what a difference 2mm can make to the sound.
cool.gif

I would say it's amazing what a difference 3mm can make to the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel
I would say it's amazing what a difference 3mm can make to the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

oops.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 16
yep sorry already beeen done, I have tried this and I think it sounds much different than the flats

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 16
Tried it too, wasn't too impressed really. But what I did get a kick out of was this: When I sent my SR60's in for repair in 2004, I didn't send them with the comfy pads because I stated in the letter I sent with the 'phones that I was cleaning them(which I was, they needed it). So lo and behold, the folks at Grado send my 'phones back, repaired with new comfy pads! Why? Did someone not read my letter before sending back my babies? Yessss
rolleyes.gif

...So what I did was do a hole mod in the spare pair of comfies and put them on backwards so the holes facing my ears were of 'factory' shape- I call this mod the reverse cut comfies, and I am still pretty impressed by the results. Definitely hands the bowl pads their butts in a paper bag
biggrin.gif

rs1smile.gif
Abe

Oct 30, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 16
Dude, Grado sent you free comfy pads with your repaired SR-60s and you roll your eyes? Jeez.

Anyway, flatpads are the biggest waste of foam you can buy.

Oct 30, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
Dude, Grado sent you free comfy pads with your repaired SR-60s and you roll your eyes? Talk about ungrateful.

Not at all! I roll my eyes because it's funny to see that the end result of not reading the letter which stated why I didn't send the pads made me end up with a spare pair. Actually I'm quite greatful(who knows, maybe free pads were a part of in-warranty repairs?), and have been a Grado fan since '03 and 'till the day I bite the dust
tongue.gif

Now only if I could afford HF1's to return the favor to Grado
smily_headphones1.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Now only if I could afford HF1's to return the favor to Grado
smily_headphones1.gif

Do yourself a favor and find a way. These babies will be gone soon! You don't have to eat every day, right?
orphsmile.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 16
I used to listen to my SR-80 with its stock bowls (nice, airy & detailed, but piercing highs). Then I switched to the Flats (exaggerated bass and loss of separation, but at least no more piercing highs).

A little over a week ago I put back the bowls just for a change and realised that I much prefer the sound of the bowls, despite its highs. I could only listen to them for a few minutes in one go, but I am able to enjoy them more than when I had the flats. Then I tried reversing the bowls and what a shocking revelation it was! Similar sonic signature to the bowls but no piercing highs!!! I have at least found a place in my heart for the Grado.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
Anyway, flatpads are the biggest waste of foam you can buy.

I agree if the phones were developed with the bowls in mind (most of the John Grados), in which case I hated the flats. It just made the sound even more in the head, took away the treble, made the bass boomy which in turn muddies the mids. So I thought I was a die hard bowls buy...but with the HP2, nothing does it like the flats.

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
I agree if the phones were developed with the bowls in mind (most of the John Grados), in which case I hated the flats. It just made the sound even more in the head, took away the treble, made the bass boomy which in turn muddies the mids. So I thought I was a die hard bowls buy...but with the HP2, nothing does it like the flats.

IIRC, the john line originally came with flat pads, so wouldn't they have been tailored for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back