free FLAC to AAC converter
Mar 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 29
if you are stuck in windows and need to convert to AAC, I suggest investigating qtaeenc (look it up on google for download link), a command line front end for quicktime.  Obviously, you need quick time before it can run.  You should be able to use foobar2000 as the framework or driver to automate the conversion process.  It will take some elbow grease to get it working.  I personally use payware dbpoweramp and its open ended command line plugin because it can advantage of multiple cores.

I get the sense no AAC encoder is 100% nailed down, or at least that was my consensus two years ago.  Go shopping for which one has the psycho acoustic models and compression capabilities that best fit your requirements.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 29
Buy dBpoweramp.  It does everything you will need - ripping, converting, they even have PerfectTunes to check the integrity of rips to make sure they're accurate.  The metadata options are extremely easy to setup.  The whole program is easy to set up.  They have a free trial I think if you are not sure about buying it for $38.  I have it and do not regret it at all.  Very good program.

I think foobar2000 and either QAAC or the FHG AAC encoder from winamp using the wrapper are much better encoders than Nero

What are your thoughts on the FDK AAC encoder found here - http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?30538-codec-m4a-FDK-AAC-Encoder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back