free FLAC to AAC converter
Mar 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

TheJackhammer

New Head-Fier
dose anybody know of a free audio file converter.
every thing iv found so far is just a demo and says it only convert something like 100 song and i have something like 500-700 songs i need converted.
any help would be Reilly appreciated.
thanks

edit:im on windows cant beleive i forgot that

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 29
I'm not sure of the limits of the trial, but Roxio Toast (full version of Titanium 10 for Mac is what I'm using) has a really easy to use FLAC to ALAC/AIFF/AAC/OGG/WAV converter that's pretty quick. Can't have it output into multiple folders, but I'm not sure of any good ones that do.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 29
Depends whether you're on Mac or Windows.

For the Mac, Stephen Booth's freeware Max does batch conversions between all kinds of file formats, including AAC and FLAC.

I'm not as familiar with Windows, so I don't know what's best to recommend there.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 29
Do you already have a way to mass convert from FLAC to WAV? If so, iTunes is free and its interface makes it very easy to grab and isolate a gazzillion files, in your case 700 WAVs, then mass convert them to AAC (remember to set the bitrate 192 or 320 kbps in iTunes beforehand) or even ALAC or AIFF if you want.

PA

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 29

Quote:
Do you already have a way to mass convert from FLAC to WAV? If so, iTunes is free and its interface makes it very easy to grab and isolate a gazzillion files, in your case 700 WAVs, then mass convert them to AAC (remember to set the bitrate 192 or 320 kbps in iTunes beforehand) or even ALAC or AIFF if you want.

PA

no i don't

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 29
free:ac (until recently called bonkenc) is what i've been using for years. Does batch conversion, and is pretty quick and keeps the tagging. With a little tweaking, you can even get it to dump the output files into appropriate folders at the same time

I've used it to do a 2k over song batch encode, so i'm sure it'll work.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
free:ac (until recently called bonkenc) is what i've been using for years. Does batch conversion, and is pretty quick and keeps the tagging. With a little tweaking, you can even get it to dump the output files into appropriate folders at the same time

I've used it to do a 2k over song batch encode, so i'm sure it'll work.

freac uses and old undeveloped AAC encoder so I wouldn't use that. .  .

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 29
its a solution i know works and is fairly simple. If you can recommend a 'better' encoder, that's already been compiled  i can probably give a poke to work out what it takes to set it up and document it for future use. As far as i can tell though, this is the most recent version most sites have, and it works well enough.

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
 If you can recommend a 'better' encoder, .....

Uhh, iTunes? AAC is Apple's baby, and Apple will definitely not put a merely adequete AAC encoder in iTunes, their flagship music management application. There was a time, back in iTunes version 6 for the Mac, that there was even a LAME MP3 plugin for iTunes. I used to use that alot. It was very good. LAME is well regarded as one of the best MP3 encoders out there. Despite that, IMO, the best AACs made within iTunes sounded better that the best MP3s made from the LAME plugin.

Oh, and don't worry about DRM. DRM only applies to music bought from the iTunes store. That's a huge mis-conception that has been eagerly spread about iTunes.

PA

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 29
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Best one for windows, free 14 day trial.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 29
iTunes doesn't support FLAC.

Sticking to mp3 is a more sensible choice, since AAC is no more transparent in listening tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back