Free calling anywhere within the US and Canada
May 16, 2006 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
Skype is offering a service where you can call any landline or mobile phone for free in the US or Canada from your computer. Of course you'll need a mic and headphones--or a headset--and you'll need to download their software.

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/

This will help save some precious cell minutes! Also, this is especially nice if you don't have a landline, like me. And personally, I prefer talking on the mic with headphones instead of holding a cell phone to my ear! But I guess as a gamer I'm more used to it.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 15
That is great. I have no reason not to start using it. Plus I can waste my bestbuy gift card on a mic.

Edit; I'm all set up. I've been messing with it and got it all set up with my ringer speaker, microphone, and headphones. Call me if you like, have a nice chat on headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 15
Skype is indeed something quite exceptionally in these days. The interface is very simple and sound quality simply breathtaking. But is it really completely free to call a stationary or mobile phone number?

As far as I am concerned, calling free between computers, with much better than mobile/stationary phone sound quality, is more than good; it's almost too good to be true.
icon10.gif
Nevertheless, I've been a registered member for more than a year and use it, if not often, regularly. A lady friend of mine saw her friend moving back to the U.S, but thanks to Skype, they are in almost daily contact with each other. Both have wireless head-sets and are just walking around at home, having the line open all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 15
It would be cool to get more people on this and have headphone chats.

May 17, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
But is it really completely free to call a stationary or mobile phone number?

Unfortunately it's only free within the US and Canada. Your signature says you hail from the Netherlands, so you may just be out of luck for free service.
frown.gif

Not sure if the computer-to-computer is free anywhere tho! It seems like it almost should be!

May 17, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
Unfortunately it's only free within the US and Canada. Your signature says you hail from the Netherlands, so you may just be out of luck for free service.
frown.gif

Not sure if the computer-to-computer is free anywhere tho! It seems like it almost should be!

This is good news! Quoted from the Dutch Skype site, where the FAQ were in English.

For non-commercial use, Skype to Skype calls will always be free. Some features and services of Skype require a paid subscription or prepayment. Our ambition is to keep the basic functionality of Skype (PC to PC calls) free forever.

May 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
www.gizmoproject.com

better interface, more features, cheaper, and basically better.

though i use yahoo messenger voice, skype and gizmo all for different things.

Right now gizmo has the lead for out-of-USA calling. Skype with their free US is better in here. But that doesn't effect computer-computer calling.

May 18, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
www.gizmoproject.com

better interface, more features, cheaper, and basically better.

though i use yahoo messenger voice, skype and gizmo all for different things.

I assume you mean cheaper for calls to landlines/mobiles outside of the US and Canada? I'll definitely check it out, but computer-to-computer has no real incentive for me, since nobody I know uses this. I think Skype trumps all other services because of its free calling within the US and Canada.

May 18, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 15
I checked the two countries that I would want to call, Israel and Germany, and Skype appears to charge less for both countries (land and mobile). Skype seems to be more popular, too, has free calling in the USA, and a video feature. Are there any significant advantages to using Gizmo in spite of the price difference?

May 18, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 15
I love skype.

Thanks for pointing this out! I might be able to get some friends to use it again.

It seems to be extremely popular in Israel. I believe that that is also where it was invented/created.

Once again, thanks!

P.S. If anyone wants to chat, my username is: the-pyro
I don't know anyone else with skype.

May 20, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
I love skype.

Thanks for pointing this out! I might be able to get some friends to use it again.

It seems to be extremely popular in Israel. I believe that that is also where it was invented/created.

Once again, thanks!

P.S. If anyone wants to chat, my username is: the-pyro
I don't know anyone else with skype.

Skype was intorduced by a Sweed and a Dane, and they later sold it to eBay. They don't need to work anymore.
icon10.gif
They even made the Time 100 list of the most influential person in the world. Well done boys!

May 21, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Skype was intorduced by a Sweed and a Dane, and they later sold it to eBay. They don't need to work anymore.
icon10.gif
They even made the Time 100 list of the most influential person in the world. Well done boys!

Wow. I had no idea Skype was anything lol. Seems so common sense to me--but than again I'm always using Ventrilo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back