Fraunhofer's MP3 encoder
Aug 30, 2008 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MatsP

New Head-Fier
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I would like to share this anyway. Please not that these are my subjective opinions.

The latest MP3 encoder from Fraunhofer IIS does a very good job, and sounds much better than LAME in my book. It retains much of the depth and air in the music, while the LAME output sounds comparatively flat and lifeless. After all, Fraunhofer IIS has been a major participant in the development of the MP3 format.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 19
Ok! Thanks for letting us know...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Too bad I couldnt find out how to use the command line program so it failed. I used to use their encoder back in the day and it did a nice slow encoding better than the rest. Now Im reading that its faster than LAME and that makes me not want to use it. A friend of mine used to use the fastest encoder and brag about it. Then I would get it home and listen and it was horrible. I stuck with that Fraunhofer encoder for quite a while. I still might check this one out of a more convenient way to use it comes along.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 19
What is the installation procedure? Does it function in Vista 64 bit?

Seems like it isn't compatible because there doesn't seem to be a way of making it go...unless there is some command line code I need to type in to make it load.

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 19
When I read this post, I just realized that I haven't used an MP3 encoder for audio, in at least a year now. (still use it for video - Rockbox and my D2). I had been using it as my lossy audio standard for 10 years, but OGG Vorbis finally replaced it.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 19
Sep 1, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 19
In 320kb/s bitrate FhG outperforms LAME hands down in completness of sound, dynamics and resolution but I advise you guys to buy the dBpowerAmp Reference, you'll get this codec for just $28 or $32,90 in Europe as the VAT is added to the transaction. Very good program, using both CPU cores separately so no dead time is induced in the ripping process, lots of codecs, professional mp2 as well. I agree that highest quality ogg's are better due to higher quality/bitrate ratio and higher bitrate possible but FhG for highest qualiy mp3's is optimal. For medium bitrates - LAME VBR all the way.

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 19
Well, I don't get his point too.
He prefering Schnitzel to Steak. That's fine with me. But making an useless claim (Schnitzel was invented before Steak), and preaching that everyone should only eat Schnitzel because it is so much better, is not. First doesn't say anything of current quality of Schnitzel (the first FhG encoder was heavily flawed, and the actual one still has heavy bugs), and the second part is just religion like zealotism.
So I wonder what this guy is up to: Either he is from RIAA and he believes that crappy MP3 encoding would stop piracy, or he is being paid by FhG or Sisvel :wink:
*SCNR*

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 320kb/s bitrate FhG outperforms LAME hands down in completness of sound, dynamics and resolution but I advise you guys to buy the dBpowerAmp Reference, you'll get this codec for just $28 or $32,90 in Europe as the VAT is added to the transaction. Very good program, using both CPU cores separately so no dead time is induced in the ripping process, lots of codecs, professional mp2 as well. I agree that highest quality ogg's are better due to higher quality/bitrate ratio and higher bitrate possible but FhG for highest qualiy mp3's is optimal. For medium bitrates - LAME VBR all the way.

If you don't mind. Could you PM me with some more info on the 320 constant performance of both encoders.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #15 of 19
I seriously doubt that anyone here can tell the difference between $mp3_encoder_1 and $mp3_encoder_2 at 320 kbps.
Now, if somebody successfully ABX'd it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back