Fraternity paddle, looking for nice wood!
Apr 17, 2010 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ramenmeal

100+ Head-Fier
Its a little off topic, but i know that you guys know your stuff! I'm making my big bro a paddle, its a long held tradition, and it wont be used! anyway, I'm just looking for very nice and classy woods to make it out of. i need to be able to get a plank about 1 inch thick, ~8" wide and ~2 feet long. I'm looking for a darker, heavily marbled and grained wood. I'm not too good with wood lingo, but what I mean by this is thicker grains

so what do you guys think? start naming/posting pictures!

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 15
In no particular order:

Jatoba, mesquite, cocobolo, rosewood, afzalia, english brown oak, bocote, ironwood, purpleheart, padouk, teak... then there are the common walnut, mahogany or maple.

Have a look at Cook Woods, or just search exotic lumber on eBay. That is the most thorough shopping you can possibly do.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 15
Go to the store and get a wooden cutting board. Most people know you should never use a wooden cutting board anyway. So, that is about all they are good for. I made my first guitar body out of two of them glued together. Mahogany is too expensive to screw up. Alternatively, you could look for cedar planks for cooking. Then he could hang it in his closet to keep down that dorm stench.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rembrant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(snip).......Most people know you should never use a wooden cutting board anyway........(snip)

Why?

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rembrant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people know you should never use a wooden cutting board anyway.

As PjPro said, Why?

End grain wood boards are about the best you can do for your knives. Plastic boards are OK so long as you clean the immediately, and we won't talk about glass.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 15
Sorry I didn't reply to this thread earlier. It seems some of you don't know. Wooden cutting boards should only ever be used with vegetables. Never use a wooden cutting board for meats as they can never be properly sanitized after. You risk food poisoning if you do. Most people only use one cutting board. If you intend to use it for food products other than meats then I guess you can. I still don't trust them in a kitchen environment. Plastic is the best solution. It can be thoroughly sanitized in any number of ways.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 15
Wood does not harbor bacteria if it is cleaned reasonably well between uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_board

About half way down for a comparison of wood & plastic. 

No mater what cutting board you use, I agree 100% its good practice to own several to keep meat and fruits/veggies separate. 

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 15
plastic is so terrible for your knives, though!  end-grain should always be used for veg, and Sani-Tuff for proteins

Quote:
Sorry I didn't reply to this thread earlier. It seems some of you don't know. Wooden cutting boards should only ever be used with vegetables. Never use a wooden cutting board for meats as they can never be properly sanitized after. You risk food poisoning if you do. Most people only use one cutting board. If you intend to use it for food products other than meats then I guess you can. I still don't trust them in a kitchen environment. Plastic is the best solution. It can be thoroughly sanitized in any number of ways.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 15
Is it just me or is someone getting a 'bro' a big dark wood spanking paddle just a little...
confused_face.gif

deadhorse.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 15
I suppose you haven't been in a fraternity. Paddles are not necessarily for spanking.

In my social fraternity, we made pledges get a signature from a brother on their paddle after interviewing them. That was a way to make the pledges get to know everyone in the house. It worked well and helped develop friendships. After interviewing everyone, you lacquered it and put it up.

In my professional fraternity, paddles were gifts from little brothers/sisters to their big brothers/sisters.

I have three paddles - they're nice keepsakes and I have had them up on a wall for years now.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 15
i vote birdseye maple. its a lighter colored wood but i think it looks fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back