Fractures on K240?
Jul 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LordSnail123

Head-Fier
My (nearly) 3 month old K240s are starting to crack! At the moment there is only 1 crack on the left earcup's plastic thing, but it could always develop into more...
I'm quite concerned after reading a previous post I found on this @ http://www.head-fi.org/t/564340/hairline-cracks-in-akg-k240-mkii... Any fixes without buying a new part for the K240? I bought this off a seller from Amazon, if that helps. (Is it possible to send them back for a replacement?) Will this degrade my sound quality and/or cause it to crack completely, rendering my lovely headphones useless? 
angry_face.gif
 Thanks for your help in advance! 
regular_smile .gif

Here is the crack... 
mad.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 7
It should not have any noticeable effect on sound quality. The K240 are already open backed, so a miniscule crack will not make a difference. 

Send it back for warranty if you still have that. Otherwise, you can try putting a bit of epoxy along the inner surface. Pull off the pad, and use your fingernails or a thin screwdriver to pop that plastic piece off.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 7
A very similar thing happened to me. I decided it wasn't worth sending them in for a repair, for me anyway, and since I had enough headphones lying around, I gave them away. I set my sights on finding a pair that was made in Austria for comparison of sound and build quality. I really did like the sound of these when I had them.

As for the sound, it shouldn't change the sound. It didn't change the sound in my pair at all, at least nothing that was noticeable. But you could send it away for warranty repair if you have the warranty.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I'll look into the warranty on my k240. Thanks! 

BrownBear, when you were searching for an Austrian pair, did you look on Ebay? I thought I saw a pair of k240 600-ohms on there...

Yeah I just looked tonight actually. I did see a few pairs of both on there. I'd like to try and find an Austrian K240 Studio as well as the Monitor. I think there was only one pair of Austrian Studios though. When I get a little extra cash together I think I'm going to pick up a pair of the Studios.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 7
BrownBear, pick up the monitors instead. you thank yourself later. monitors are much better over the studios. they're 600ohms yes, but, pretty sensitive as well so getting volume out of them shouldn't be too hard for decent soundcard or interface. i think the monitors have more low-bass extension and more top and air over the studios. think of them as a more refined pair of studios. all 600ohms are made in Australia too if that's something of concern.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
BrownBear, pick up the monitors instead. you thank yourself later. monitors are much better over the studios. they're 600ohms yes, but, pretty sensitive as well so getting volume out of them shouldn't be too hard for decent soundcard or interface. i think the monitors have more low-bass extension and more top and air over the studios. think of them as a more refined pair of studios. all 600ohms are made in Australia too if that's something of concern.

RexAeterna, thanks for the bit of impressions there. I've been interested in the Monitors for awhile now, ever since I've been researching the K240 models. I do think they would probably be the better cans. As for the volume, I don't have a problem using my Asgard with the Sextetts, so hopefully I'd be good with the Asgard and Monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back